MR2 SpyderChat banner

8 years of ownership takes its toll

19K views 73 replies 33 participants last post by  turbo_jimbo 
#1 · (Edited)
I made this thread for my local forum and people that I have known for a long time just for the memories and figured I would share here.

Current mod list

Performance:
TRD Short Shifter
Euro Spec 6 Speed with LSD
ARP Exhaust Studs
Spherical Shifter Bushings
Greddy Turbo T517z (internal Wastegate)
HKS SSQV BOV
Greddy Intercooler
Snow Meth Injection
AuburnSpyder Oil Cooler with Thermostatic Adapter
660cc Injectors(I think)
ARP Flywheel Bolts

Engine Electronics:
Apex'i PFC with Datalogit
Apex'i AVC-R Boost controller
Autometer Boost Gauge
Autometer Oil Pressure Gauge(I think, may be temp)
J&S Safeguard
J&S Gauge

Being removed for new Turbo system:
PPE Intake
PPE Header and catted Downpipe
HKS Catback Exhaust

Suspension/bracing/brakes:
Corky's Front Member Brace
Corky's Midship Member Brace
Corky's Rear Member Brace
Tanabe FSTB
Harddog Single Diagonal Rollbar
Tein SS-P coilovers
EBC Ultimax Slotted and dimpled rotors front and rear
Porterfield R4S pads front and rear

Audio:
JVC headunit
strvnartst01 underdash 8" sub box
JL Audio 8w3v2 sub
Memphis Class D 250 w mono block amp

Appearance:
Centerline Storm 17x7 wheels
Drifz 17x7 wheels
Konig Helium 15x6.5 wheels
Erebuni TRD stg 1 Side skirts
VIS TRD Stg 1 front lip
03 Headlight Swap
9k HID kit
Lord Takuban JDM C/F front badge
03 Taillight Swap
Lord Takuban Short Antenna
Window Tint
Knobmeister Visor Plugs
Gregg Center Armrest Black Vinal w/ red stiching
G2 Caliper paint kit
Slyvania Silverstar Ultra's
Hasegawa Lug nuts

Got the car IIRC in February 2004. This was my first car and got it right before my 16th birthday.
I used to have several pics of it but the computer crashed and these 2 are all I can find

Got the car back first of May fixed all back to stock. Mods at this point were the newer 03+ tail lights and Team Moon Aluminized dual exhaust.

With the old Panasonic Flip screen, no longer installed.

Other than wreck it several times, I didn't really do much to the car for the next few years. This was after I put a new radiator and bumper cover on to get it running after one of the wrecks. Rode like this for awhile.

This would of been in the 05-06 timeframe

Snow tires

Putting them to use

Wrecked the second time that put it setting for several years. Think this is Spring 2007

After a few years I finally got it fixed

Here it is at the shop getting work done.

Done and out of the shop July'ish 2008 Added parts was 03+ headlights, TRD style Lip kit and Centerline wheels. Parked next to my RSX.

Got a front badge for it

Baked and painted the headlights

03+ rear grill in black

Got it lowered on the Tein SS-P Coilovers

Dev's Rear spoiler lip added

Swapped to the black 17's

Somewhere after all that another trans decided to go out, so I swapped the engine and trans both as my engine was using a little more oil than I liked. And in the process of unloading it off the trailer, there went my first lip.

Empty bay

Got it back running and drove it through the winter

No front lip and at Toyota getting the trans replaced again due to a crack in the housing

Car went back into the shop to have the new lip put on and painted.

Then got the Heliums

On the way to a Wedding in Knoxville in 2010 IIRC I was cutting across 92 from Monticello to Whitley to take 27 down to the Huntsville exit on 75. Took a turn to fast(on 92) and spun out.

Cant tell a whole lot other than the rear lip missing and the scratches on the driver side. It also tore the mounting tabs off the pass side of the rear bumper. So it has been duct taped since. Keep in mind im a college student so repairs dont come quickly.

Changed the Spyder pretty much back to stock body and put a different front bumper on I had. And rolled like this for a year or 2.

Then this spring the week before the Spring Spyder Dragon run the Spyder got backed into.

Got it back mid April

Been rolling like that since. Hopefully this winter some of that will get fixed though, but the Spyder probably wont be out until atleast I get a new rear bumper. But I would really love to just find a clean shell to swap everything from my car over to. Parts of the subframe/unibody in the engine bay has been crumpled up since we first got it and has alway bothered me. So other than maybe being used for a track car I think im pretty much done with this shell.

Most current update is that I have it put up for the Winter and have the bumpers and lights pulled off. I still have my 2000 bumper with TRD lip so I had planned on putting it back on with my 03+ headlights with the housings painted. Was going to replace the rear bumper but I think ill just wait to see how my hunt for a shell turns out. Also, considering going with a PPE header/downpipe and HKS catback and selling my JNZ pipe. Still undecided on that though.

See less See more
#4 ·
No wonder you boys from Kentucky all drive old pickup trucks:)

#7 ·
That is an impressive history. How many miles for all of those years? You can always look back and see how much work (labor of love) you've done over time. I'm sure it will be a cherished memory even after you don't have it anymore (unless you keep it forever). I actually feel bad that mine is a garage queen (mostly used for fair weather / recreational driving) although I just put my hard top on for the winter months and will probably use it for work from time to time.

#13 ·
This was the picture that sold me on getting my Spyder in 2009

#21 ·
Since the first of the year I have ordered several parts for the Spyder.

PPE header with straight pipe and black ceramic coating
HKS catback
Apexi filter for my PPE intake
ARP Exhaust studs
New OEM rear bumper w/ all clips(no more duct tape)
New rear pass inner fender
Had my OEM and EBC rotors turned
Porterfield R4S pads Front and Rear
2 Falken RT-615k's in 225/45/17 for my rear Centerline's (Falken RT-615 on front in 205/40/17)
Hard Dog Single Diagonal Roll bar
OEM ebrake cables(as soon as their site stops acting up so i can order anyway)

And either a new OEM size battery or Corky tray and Deka if he can get them made in time.

#23 ·
Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' My favorite mod on your car is the 03 headlights painted black with some of the chrome exposed. I'm still not brave enough to put new headlights in a warm oven.

#25 ·
Austin wasn't either. I was brave enough to stick his headlights in the oven though. I just did it for my headlights the other week as well. If you get another set and want them painted, I could lend a hand if you want.

#24 ·
Justin did his the same way and I am sure we will eventually get my newer set done as well.

Kaustein- of all the stuff that was ordered I have received the HKS catback a few weeks ago, the ARP exhaust studs came in super quick from MWR. I think the pads came in yesterday and the tires should be here today. Havnt been home since early Tuesday morning so I havnt seen them myself. The PPE order has been on back order and the last update I received was that it should of shipped last friday, but it has been a week and have not heard whether it went out or not. The new bumper shipped out yesterday via Greyhound.

The order for Hard Dog and ebrake cables was just placed last night. Got an email today stating the Hard Dog will take 2-3 weeks to build and ship out.

#26 ·
Did this last night, pulled out pretty much all the rear interior prepping for the Hard Dog when it comes in in a few weeks, also swapped in the larger injectors I got off of Justin.

Some of the stuff that came in

Porterfield R4S pads, Larger injectors w/ MAF spacer, and a new harness from MikeV for converting my headlights. The tires have also came in. Ebrake cables should be here Tuesday and Im not exactly sure when the Rear bumper will be here, but it has shipped. Still no word on the PPE order and the Hard Dog will be 2-3 weeks.

#27 ·
Great story. So... I guess my saga of getting the rear deck lid gas struts replaced probably wouldn't impress you very much.

#29 ·
Awesome story! Sounds like this car has protected you pretty well and taught you how to drive in the meantime! Beautiful car and the pics are really impressive (along with the car)! So many memories and pics that you will never forget! I do have one question though? The trd kit was that a real toyota trd ar an aftermarket? It looks really good! Thanks and keep us updated on the rollbar, brakes, injsctors and???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.