2zz Swap?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2zz Swap?

Spyderchat Noob

Question 2zz Swap?

What's going on Spyder Chat. Unfortunately, my 1zz took a dump, and the price of fixing it would be close to the price of a 2zz swap. but before I fully commit to it. I was wondering if anyone could let me know what the bare minimum to get it started and running is?

I know I need:
    Engine
    Engine Mount
    Ecu
    Harness Adapter
    Headers
    Intake

Thanks,
    Joseph

Instagram: @TkyoJoe

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpyderChat.com
    Advertisements

There are a lot of little details and different routs to take.

I would suggest you do a search here and read the stickies as its covered in detail. Take notes so you know what you are getting into cost wise so you can make informed decisions.

Replacing the 1ZZ is much cheaper if you know where to source a good used low millage engine.
    KeyTechniques
    You can find our web page by typing "Keytechniques" on top of your browser and clicking the first result.
    Keyhole covers / Bumper plugs / MR-S key-chains / Door sills / Bushing kits and so much more.

Spyderchat Enthusiast AbandonMidship!'s Avatar

Default 2zz Swap?

Yah 1ZZ is way cheaper. All you need to buy is an 03+ motor and you’re good to go. There are plenty of 2ZZ swap threads in here recent and old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1ZZ turbo in works. Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpyderChat.com
    Advertisements

It's a simple swap but sadly its not as simple cost wise when you add it all up. Its all the little things.
    If you are not doing the labor you are going to pay dearly if its from a speed shop. If you cheap out you are going to pay trying to fix post issues with frustration, time and money. Most of all if you don't do your homework you will be back here playing the game of not it ready to sell as is.
    KeyTechniques
    You can find our web page by typing "Keytechniques" on top of your browser and clicking the first result.
    Keyhole covers / Bumper plugs / MR-S key-chains / Door sills / Bushing kits and so much more.

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Is there a way besides welding to get a 2zz header for our car without spending $500

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2salty View Post
    Is there a way besides welding to get a 2zz header for our car without spending $500
    There is. Its called the Che 2ZZ swap header which is nothing more than a 2ZZ flange welded to a 1ZZ header pipes.

It will make your car slower than a 1ZZ by choking it to death. People who get these headers bought them because they were uninformed and misinformed.

The reason why the swap header options are $500 is mainly because they are not mass production items but its more than that because both options are built to last and offer a performance benefit.
    There is no getting around quality and $500 is a very small price to pay for it. If you look at other cars, good quality custom headers are not cheap.
    KeyTechniques

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    There is. Its called the Che 2ZZ swap header which is nothing more than a 2ZZ flange welded to a 1ZZ header pipes.

It will make your car slower than a 1ZZ by choking it to death. People who get these headers bought them because they were uninformed and misinformed.

The reason why the swap header options are $500 is mainly because they are not mass production items but its more than that because both options are built to last and offer a performance benefit.
    There is no getting around quality and $500 is a very small price to pay for it. If you look at other cars, good quality custom headers are not cheap.
    Thanks dev. In my looking for swap headers I only found the $500+ options and wanted to see what else was out there.

Thanks dev. In my looking for swap headers I only found the $500+ options and wanted to see what else was out there.
    Not much even for the 1ZZ. The only legitimate header option for the 1ZZ is the Zero header and the PPE.
    The cheap Chinese product that is used to rid yourself of the pre-cats is not what I would call a header or even good quality, however its cheap enough.

Some aftermarket parts cost money because they were prototyped to make power. If you buy some no named Chinese header replica as you see on EBay for just about every car make its going to be junk and you might actually lose power.

Real parts as good as OEM quality cost money, there is no way around that. Its the same argument I have with wheels, buy ones that are as good or better than the OEM because there is a lot of cheap junk out there ready to come out of balance.
    KeyTechniques

A friend of mine said "Don't buy a car in Mercury Retrograde (March 5-March 28th) it's a bad time for cars. Bad shit happens to cars and relationships in retrograde, even if everything was fine before"

Me: "That mumbo jumbo won't effect me"

Buys a 1zz with no REAL problems outside slippy clutch...motor blows.

I've seen 5 engines blown recently during this retro "mumbo jumbo" - lol I'm starting to believe she might have been on to something. I haven't seen this many engines blown so close together...ever.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by dev Hidden Content
    The most important thing is to separate the tool from the intent just like you need to separate the ignorance from your posts.

Default 1zz failed in 2001 MR2/S with only 59k Miles

Interesting Q:

I purchased an 2001 from a Toyota dealer only to find it had the catalytic converter failure. Burns oil like a 2-stroke (1Qt/400Miles)

I am going 2zz. Purchased drop-out from 2001 Celica GTS.....needed much work, but am getting close.

Mr. P

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Interesting Q:

I purchased an 2001 from a Toyota dealer only to find it had the catalytic converter failure. Burns oil like a 2-stroke (1Qt/400Miles)

I am going 2zz. Purchased drop-out from 2001 Celica GTS.....needed much work, but am getting close.

Mr. P

Welcome Mr. P . If the engines needs much work thats not a good sign.
    These 2ZZ engines in some ways are worse than 1ZZ engines if they have been abused and not running right.
    The amount of money that has to go into just fixing a worn head could buy a good low millage engine.
    If the bottom end is worn its better to just throw it out.

This is not to imply a 2ZZ is not a good motor, it is as long has it doesn't have a history of being abused.
    KeyTechniques

Interesting Q:

Mr. P
    because-mercury-retrograde.jpg

But as Dev said an abused engine could be potentially problematic. I'd start preparing for the future with that one.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by dev Hidden Content
    The most important thing is to separate the tool from the intent just like you need to separate the ignorance from your posts.

Default Thank you for welcoming me to the community

sorry for double post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mr. P; 03-28-2019 at 06:16 AM. Reason: double post

Default Thank you for welcoming me to the community!

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    Welcome Mr. P . If the engines needs much work thats not a good sign.
    These 2ZZ engines in some ways are worse than 1ZZ engines if they have been abused and not running right.
    The amount of money that has to go into just fixing a worn head could buy a good low millage engine.
    If the bottom end is worn its better to just throw it out.

This is not to imply a 2ZZ is not a good motor, it is as long has it doesn't have a history of being abused.
    I have been working on engine in spare time for going on 2 years! Stripped the nastiest Detroit corroded engine into something that will be factory spec. If I can, will try to attach a pic or two. Next I am moving on the the "nastiest Detroit C60".

Best regards,
    MR. Pengine with cam cover.jpgrotating assy b4 head placement.jpgrefurb oil pan with girdle plugs sealed.jpg

Default Thank you and you are correct

Quote Originally Posted by Narcosis View Post
    because-mercury-retrograde.jpg

But as Dev said an abused engine could be potentially problematic. I'd start preparing for the future with that one.
    It has taken a LOT of time. Stripped every bolt. New rings (gapped), bearings to Toyota spec per journal! It's a love story to bring this engine back as the bore, although slightly egged, is NICE!

Old pics attached!

I am going 2ZZ not so much for the extra 50bhp, but the SONG at high revs!

Thank you again for the post,
    MR. P
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have been working on engine in spare time for going on 2 years! Stripped the nastiest Detroit corroded engine into something that will be factory spec. If I can, will try to attach a pic or two. Next I am moving on the the "nastiest Detroit C60".

Best regards,
    MR. P
    Very nice and good luck on your endeavor. Keep us updated.
    KeyTechniques

Spyderchat Enthusiast

1zz your car again. I did the 2zz route and am dissatisfied with the low and mid range. My swap was done by a pro with high end header and although not dyno tested seems pretty good in lift. I have not had one issue in 2 1/2 year of daily driving. The problem my car is street use only and I cant get to lift fast enough and the lag between lift is not fun. I am now thinking a low boost turbo 2zz to make the car more enjoyable on the street.

Spyderchat Enthusiast

1zz your car again. I did the 2zz route and am dissatisfied with the low and mid range. My swap was done by a pro with high end header and although not dyno tested seems pretty good in lift. I have not had one issue in 2 1/2 year of daily driving. The problem my car is street use only and I cant get to lift fast enough and the lag between lift is not fun. I am now thinking a low boost turbo 2zz to make the car more enjoyable on the street.

the high revving 2zz leaves alot to be desired for in daily driving... i'd agree a small conservative turbo at 7psi would be a good bridge to keep the powerband a little more linear... you can also keep stock internals.

Spyderchat Enthusiast Angel paws's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kamlung View Post
    the high revving 2zz leaves alot to be desired for in daily driving... i'd agree a small conservative turbo at 7psi would be a good bridge to keep the powerband a little more linear... you can also keep stock internals.
    Indeed my 1zz with 8psi packs a punch, this is how Toyota should have made the car in the beginning !