Mr2 Spyder autox tire preference

Thread: Mr2 Spyder autox tire preference

Default Mr2 Spyder autox tire preference

I have noticed what I think is an interesting trend in autox this year. The MR2 Spyder is doing very very well in ES and it seems that all the top placing drivers are riding on BF Goodrich Rival 1.5 tires. Meanwhile, the MX-5 which is the Spyders competition in ES is using the Bridgestone RE71-r almost exclusively. That trend is repeated for all the other classes where the MX-5 is one of the dominant chassis. CS and STR MX-5 drivers also almost all use the RE71-r.

I would like to hear from some of the ES drivers on what traits in particular make the Rival the superior tire when paired with the MR2 Spyder and its McPhearson strut chassis. I have read many reviews and in most of them the RE71-r appears to be the superior tire. However, the dominance of the Rival shod Spyders is ES so far this year cannot be denied and seems to contradict this view, at least in the case of the MR2 Spyder.

If any of you ES drivers would share your thoughts, I would appreciate the insight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpyderChat.com
    Advertisements

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Could you do a quick blurb on what is allowed for ES class. I have an 05 bone stock with limited slip factory. For example I have a set of 5zigen wheels correct width and staggered 15 and 16. Could they be used? Thanks for the education.

Spyderchat Enthusiast zerocavity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leepear View Post
    Could you do a quick blurb on what is allowed for ES class. I have an 05 bone stock with limited slip factory. For example I have a set of 5zigen wheels correct width and staggered 15 and 16. Could they be used? Thanks for the education.
    Core Modifications
    Primary allowances permit changes to shocks, anti-roll bars, and
    tires.

B. Wheel (rim) diameter may be increased or decreased 1” from the standard part. This change may be applied to the front, rear, or both axles.

Essentially, everything has to be OEM and even say my 01 didn't have an lsd but I put an lsd. I will still be in ES as long as it was within the production of the car and oem part. You can change out the sway bar, delete it, change to koni shocks, and can upgrade to lighter weight rims to the same size as oem or 1in more in diameter. So if you have the 16 in on the rear can go up to 17. There is more info on the rule book that is easy to nagivate. Wish I can link to it.

Wait, maybe this will work if you search on this link? If you can scroll to the table of contents, then scroll down till you see 13. Street Categroy, and click on it and will get you to the text. Just read chapter 13 only.
    file:///Users/andres/Downloads/2019-04-04_Solo_Rules_Book_1_complete_reduc ed.pdf

Maybe not. Here is another link to the website. Click on the 2019 SCCA NATIONAL SOLO RULES. https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules
    Last edited by zerocavity; 04-08-2019 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Put in rule book of SCCA
    2001 1ZZ, Che Headers, BC Racing Coilovers, MAF Mod, Noob's Crash bar, Midship Roundabout front logo, Team Moon dual exhaust through bumper, Corcky Breast Plate, and TRD Front Strut Bar.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpyderChat.com
    Advertisements

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Thanks, I will take a look. Sounds like my saner 1.25 front sway bar, my Trd sportive struts or koni and rear trd sway bar, 5Ziegen wheels good tires and I am good to go. The sportive lowers the car is that allowed?

Spyderchat Enthusiast

I use RE71R but race in SSM with a 2ZZ swap (205/50R15 and 225/50R16 on the 03+ rims). Perhaps it is a sizing issue, as the RE71R is a little limited in wider sizes for small rims?

Spyderchat Enthusiast Mister2 Tim's Avatar

Default Check rulebook.

ALMOST ANYTHING IS "ALLOWED". THE REAL PROBLEM IS THAT THESE MODS WILL MOVE YOU INTO A "MODS" CLASS WHERE, IF YOU ARE NOT FULLY MODDED TO MEET >ALL< THE CLASS RULES YOUR LIKELY TO LOSE.

EXAMPLE: I PUT JUST SLICKS ON OUR MK1 MR2 SC (DD). I HAD TO RACE STRIPPED DOWN/GUTTED "FULL RACE" CORVETTES.

Quote Originally Posted by leepear View Post
    Thanks, I will take a look. Sounds like my saner 1.25 front sway bar, my Trd sportive struts or koni and rear trd sway bar, 5Ziegen wheels good tires and I am good to go. The sportive lowers the car is that allowed?

Spyderchat Enthusiast Mister2 Tim's Avatar

Default Rivals

BFGoodrich g-Force Rival

Tire Pressures: 38/34 psi cold; 42/38 psi hot

Best Single Lap: 28.44 seconds

Best Two-Lap Set: 57.10 seconds

Analysis: The Rival is a relatively new tire and offers sizes specifically targeted at Pro Touring muscle cars and hot rods. We found the tire was very easy to drive at several different air pressure settings, with good grip and lots of forgiveness near the limits of traction.

Driver Notes: The Rival has good reviews, both online, and from our driver. Woody said he was able to do “more of everything versus the control, especially braking traction and steady-state lateral grip.” At lower tire pressures the car was less responsive in the slalom, and while Woody described the tire as being very driveable, he also said it was hard to find its sweet spot. “Compared to the Dunlop, the Rival’s shortcoming is balance. It has plenty of latitude at the limit but it’s harder to optimize.”

That must be an old article you are quoting there. The Rival has been out for a few years now and is actually on its second iteration at this point which is the Rival S 1.5. The Dunlop has not been a top tire in autocross for about the same length of time. The Bridgestone RE71-r is the other front runner and has been for 3-4 years.

Dunlops are still popular with the roadrace crowd who use 200TW tires due to longer wear that the Rivals or RE71-r.

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post

If any of you ES drivers would share your thoughts, I would appreciate the insight.
    I own and drive a 2001 Manual trans.
    I own both F 205/50/15 // R 205/45/16 RE71R's -AND- square 225/45/15 BFG Rival S 1.5

After having driven on both, I have come to the following conclusions.

Surface: Asphalt = RE71R // Concrete = BFG
    Temperature : Under 70* = RE71R // Over 70* = BFG
    Driver(s): Single = RE71R // Co-driven = BFG

Most importantly, the FEEL of the tires.
    RE71R's are crisp and precise. Drive the correct line at the correct speed and you'll do great. Prefers less slip angle (i think).
    The BFG's have more overall grip, faster in the sweepers, and a mushy feel in the slaloms. Easier to correct if they "let go".

SIZING (in my opinion): RE71R sizing is limited to only 205's. So do that or do this...
    2000-2002: 225/45/15 BFG squared.
    2003-2005: 225/45/15 BFG Front and 245/40/15 Rear.

Quote Originally Posted by AjHawk View Post
    I own and drive a 2001 Manual trans.
    I own both F 205/50/15 // R 205/45/16 RE71R's -AND- square 225/45/15 BFG Rival S 1.5

After having driven on both, I have come to the following conclusions.

Surface: Asphalt = RE71R // Concrete = BFG
    Temperature : Under 70* = RE71R // Over 70* = BFG
    Driver(s): Single = RE71R // Co-driven = BFG

Most importantly, the FEEL of the tires.
    RE71R's are crisp and precise. Drive the correct line at the correct speed and you'll do great. Prefers less slip angle (i think).
    The BFG's have more overall grip, faster in the sweepers, and a mushy feel in the slaloms. Easier to correct if they "let go".

SIZING (in my opinion): RE71R sizing is limited to only 205's. So do that or do this...
    2000-2002: 225/45/15 BFG squared.
    2003-2005: 225/45/15 BFG Front and 245/40/15 Rear.
    Thank you. That is the kind of information I was looking for.

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Some others may feel differently, but I think most will agree with this. Personally, I love the RE71R's, but its been chilly so far and only on asphalt. Good luck!

Run on the west coast / lincoln. Locally mostly on concrete but travel to Fontana and Packwood for asphalt. We only run 225/45/15's BFG square on an 03. Prefer BFG's over the 71R's in all cases due to how easy the BFG's let you pitch and catch the car. Low temps suck but we don't get many of those and the tires are good after the first run. Usually run ~26 PSI front 32 PSI rear. The car is also driven on race tires to and from events and have not had any issues. Will run them until they cord flipping side to side when shoulders are close to being used up.

Thanks for the info.