Oil Change, Tranny change

Thread: Oil Change, Tranny change

Spyderchat Noob

Default Oil Change, Tranny change

What do you guys use for fluids. New time Spyder owner and looking to see what people prefer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpyderChat.com
    Advertisements

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Welcome.

I run the oil the Toyota parts guy gives me. It’s a 5w-30 in a Toyota bottle. Toyota doesn’t sell the tranny fluid. I used a GL-4 rated gear oil. Pep boys sold it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2salty View Post
    Welcome.

I run the oil the Toyota parts guy gives me. It’s a 5w-30 in a Toyota bottle. Toyota doesn’t sell the tranny fluid. I used a GL-4 rated gear oil. Pep boys sold it to me.
    Is that synthetic? I have a new to me '01 with 15K miles. Can I go synthetic?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpyderChat.com
    Advertisements

Spyderchat Enthusiast carlbecker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dobb View Post
    Is that synthetic? I have a new to me '01 with 15K miles. Can I go synthetic?
    Yes you can use synthetic, I would and do use a good synthetic.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...

Spyderchat Enthusiast

I have been using Mobil 1 on my Honda for 250k (and the 200k one before that). My Focus RS uses Motorcraft 5w50 and there are no other oils here that support that weight and endorsement (or I would use Mobil 1 for that too). In the olden days, there was a fear that changing from standard to synthetic will cause the seals to leak but I don't know that it's an issue for cars made after 2000.
    I am at a loss for transmission fluid though - I am planning to run Redline MTL on the spyder. Honda and Ford make their own trans fluid so I use theirs, but for the Toyota I guess we're on our own.

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Synthetic engine oil is highly suggested, especially on a pre 2003 as it will reduce ring sticking and other problems. There are no compatibly issues with modern oils. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 FS which is listed as a European Car Formula, and many others have used A Castrol European formula oil. The newest Mobil 1 ESP is very similar in specs to the FS. Toyota sells a good synthetic oil as well. We have a 2003 with 135,000 miles that used the Toyota Synthetic from new for the first 125,000 miles and the inside of the engine is like new. A Toyota tech rep had recommended the synthetic to the original owner who worked for Toyota. Stick with Toyota oil filters.

Most people use Redline MT90 or Amsoil GL-4 transmission fluid. Both are synthetics.
    You're never too old to learn something stupid.

This -> https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-5500.../dp/B01M266FWZ is on sale with a $10 rebate which makes it $15 delivered...
    2001 MRS with Mono Craft GT-300 Body