Change in Dealer Parts Stocking Policy?

Thread: Change in Dealer Parts Stocking Policy?

Default Change in Dealer Parts Stocking Policy?

I went to my local Toyota dealer today to buy some windshield wipers.
    The parts man tried to sell me some wipers that he described as "Toyota", but weren't OEM. I didn't look at them carefully, but they were not branded as Toyota. I figured the parts man meant the wipers were made to fit a Toyota when he said they were "Toyota" wipers. I declined these wipers in favor of genuine Toyota wipers.
    Well, I got genuine Toyota wipers, at about $30 each. I'm thinking "WTF? Oh well, I'll see what I get". After paying for them, I find out that genuine Toyota wipers must be ordered from the regional parts warehouse.

I also bought the (generic Toyota) adjustment knob on the driver's seat. It too had to be ordered from the regional warehouse.

What's going on here?
    I've dealt with the same parts man for more than eight years. He's an honest guy. I do not suspect him.
    My local dealership used to have normal wear items and many not-so-common parts in inventory. The only thing in stock I saw today was oil filters.
    Carried inventory is sometimes taxed, and a smaller inventory is good at tax time. Perhaps my local dealer has decided to reduce its inventory, but I wonder: Has there been a corporate change in policy? Are genuine Toyota parts now sold at a premium?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpyderChat.com
    Advertisements

Spyderchat Enthusiast

There isn't much point in buying "consumables" such as wiper blades, batteries, belts, and tires from OEM as aftermarket parts are normally cheaper and often of the same or even better quality. Many dealers will use them in their own shops. There are some exceptions like filters where OEM may be better quality. In the case of an air filter, the OEM is even cheaper than most aftermarket.

As for stock levels, that is a dealer decision. A dealer I use normally doesn't stock too much as they can get parts next day. Even my local Advance Auto has a lot of empty shelves as they have reduced their stock levels. They are only going to stock parts that have a significant sales history and most Spyder parts are not big sellers. Parts for any 15 year old car will be slow sellers, so most will need to be ordered.

Just be glad we can still get most parts for the Spyders. Need a wiper arm? Discontinued, and they have been for some time.
    You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
    There isn't much point in buying "consumables" such as wiper blades, batteries, belts, and tires from OEM as aftermarket parts are normally cheaper and often of the same or even better quality. Many dealers will use them in their own shops. There are some exceptions like filters where OEM may be better quality. In the case of an air filter, the OEM is even cheaper than most aftermarket.

As for stock levels, that is a dealer decision. A dealer I use normally doesn't stock too much as they can get parts next day. Even my local Advance Auto has a lot of empty shelves as they have reduced their stock levels. They are only going to stock parts that have a significant sales history and most Spyder parts are not big sellers. Parts for any 15 year old car will be slow sellers, so most will need to be ordered.

Just be glad we can still get most parts for the Spyders. Need a wiper arm? Discontinued, and they have been for some time.
    I agree.

I ordered a few parts online from ToyotaPartsDeal.com last week and they even had to source one of the parts from a centralized Toyota warehouse which delayed shipping, but I did find the parts I needed which is a big plus.
    2001 MRS with Mono Craft GT-300 Body

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Thumbs down

Just be glad you don't live in the Washington D.C. Metro area.

We have the same issue of having to wait on parts. Plus, we get to pay ---from multiple local dealers--- 300 to 1,000% markup over list prices.

Because of the new part ripoff pricing, I end up having to order almost everything for my Spyder.

Now if I could just find an on-line discount Toyota parts source that did not charge shipping

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Not Too Old For 2 Seater View Post
    ...Now if I could just find an on-line discount Toyota parts source that did not charge shipping
    If you do, please share, I haven't found one yet.

2001 MRS with Mono Craft GT-300 Body

We have the same issue of having to wait on parts. Plus, we get to pay ---from multiple local dealers--- 300 to 1,000% markup over list prices.

Because of the new part ripoff pricing, I end up having to order almost everything for my Spyder.

Now if I could just find an on-line discount Toyota parts source that did not charge shipping

Paul
    Here is the thing about the Metro area. Its been like that even when the car was still in production.
    If you have a Corolla or Camry you might find more selection but on the whole you have to wait at least two to three days tops.

Its not that big of a deal really unless you didn't plan ahead. I usually just order from Amazon or EBay because they will have best offer and no tax.
    If its not on those sites a simple google search of the part will list at least 25 online dealerships that do with good shipping times.

If any of you can get Spyder parts the same day you are lucky. An almost 20 year old car parts from any dealership is a pipe dream if you think that outfit has that kind of storage space for all the various models sold throughout the many years. I imagine it would be bigger than an Amazon wheelhouse.
    KeyTechniques
    You can find our web page by typing "Keytechniques" on top of your browser and clicking the first result.
    Keyhole covers / Bumper plugs / MR-S key-chains / Door sills / Bushing kits and so much more.

I can see the benefits of maintaining a small parts inventory, especially for older cars. I fully expect a delay when I order a Spyder-specific part, but windshield wipers? They're a normal wear item; not a specialized part. I can only surmise that the dealer's profit margin is higher for aftermarket wipers than for OEM wipers. I'm somewhat surprised that Toyota allows that.

-------------- SomeWhat Related Rant:
    The actual wiper blade rubber is not available separately anywhere (AFAIK). One must buy the entire wiper blade assembly, which is no longer period-correct for the Spyder. Of course, one can transfer the wiper rubber to the original blade carrier after paying extra for the unneeded carrier assembly. Only an exceptional purist would do that.

I smell a conspiracy.
    Have the windshield wiper suppliers conspired to deprive customers the right to buy only the rubber blade? The evidence is clear: They have.
    One wishing convenience can buy an expensive wiper assembly, but one wishing to buy only the rubber blade cannot. This seems to be a clear case of discrimination: Fools are preferred over Frugals.
    What can be done to combat such imposed "convenience" at buyers' expense?
    Change does not mean Progress!

Spyderchat Enthusiast Haloruler64's Avatar

Have you ever tried eBay silicone refills? Just generic strips. I never had OEM wipers on my car so I don't know how those rubber refills even work so I can't comment on how well the eBay stuff works but I've long been curious about the claimed superiority of silicone.

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    The actual wiper blade rubber is not available separately anywhere (AFAIK). One must buy the entire wiper blade assembly, which is no longer period-correct for the Spyder.
    There are at least 2 different blade inserts still listed.

85214-24051 Wiper Blade Refill, Left $9.99 list
    85213-YZZC2-TM Wiper Blade Refill, Right $5.59 list

Some sources list the left insert for both sides, and some show yet another part number so there is some confusion over the correct number.

Of course, these will only work with the OEM blade assembly and it is unlikely a 14+ year old car would still have the original blade. That is just the rubber and not the metal backing plate that should be replaced as well. The problem with just the insert is often the blade assembly is corroded or has lost the spring pressure. It can also be difficult to replace just the rubber. Most people have moved the to the superior single piece beam type.

If you are restoring a Spyder to exact OEM, perhaps an insert makes sense, but even then, the whole assy from Toyota is original and more likely to be used for a restoration

I worked as a parts manager and one of the challenges is determining stock levels for any part. Normally, that is based on the sales volume, what alternatives are available, and how quickly a backorder can be filled. Below a certain sales level, that part probably won't be stocked. Maintaining a parts inventory is very expensive and the turnover rate is critical. Considering the low original sales volume of Spyders and their age, I would be surprised if dealers stocked any Spyder parts other than a few used on other popular models like a Corolla. Wiper blades may be high volume, but there are many alternatives, so stock levels are probably low.

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Some sources list the left insert for both sides, and some show yet another part number so there is some confusion over the correct number.
    Of course, these will only work with the OEM blade assembly and it is unlikely a 14+ year old car would still have the original blade.
    Thanks for the correct part numbers!
    My car sure does have the original arms, another huge pet peeve of mine. From a material conservation stand point I have conducted long public rants about these bogus aftermarket wiper companies. The majority opinion is that experiences vary in quality when it comes to the latest gizmotech. It is my opinion that all whom dispose of factory arms and spread need for plastic disposables shall be discriminated upon.

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Paul
    I have a Toyota technicians outfit and other identifiers, I just walk into the parts department of these places and tell them I work for XXXXXX and live close by. Then I get parts ordered up for the dealer price and come pick up a day later.

I picked up my $30 OEM windshield wipers from the dealer today.
    For the past several years, the wipers I bought from the dealer had a plastic shield over the metal framework. I suppose the shield is to prevent snow & ice from 'freezing' (pun intended) the pivot points in inclement weather. The wipers used in 2000-2005 did not have shields. I thought about trying to remove the shields, but never got around to doing so.

Are the windshield wipers worth $30 each? No.

Is returning the car to OEM appearance worth $60? Yes.

I'm poorer, but pleased.

Of course, these will only work with the OEM blade assembly and it is unlikely a 14+ year old car would still have the original blade. That is just the rubber and not the metal backing plate that should be replaced as well. The problem with just the insert is often the blade assembly is corroded or has lost the spring pressure. It can also be difficult to replace just the rubber. Most people have moved the to the superior single piece beam type.

If you are restoring a Spyder to exact OEM, perhaps an insert makes sense, but even then, the whole assy from Toyota is original and more likely to be used for a restoration.
    My comments above were made prior to reading your post.

The rubber blades are listed at my local dealer, but can't be ordered. In fact, he had a "dead" order for them on his computer.
    I still have the original wiper assemblies for my Spyder, including the metal stiffeners (backing plates). Having owned my Spyder since new, I view such things as maintenance; not restoration.

Can you supply a source for blade refills?

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    Can you supply a source for blade refills?
    I would suggest any of the online Toyota parts discounters. Most have a phone number or some contact information where you can check first to see if they can get the part.

Unfortunately, I have found many dealer parts departments to be much less informed or professional than expected, and this is true for almost any brand or product. Some have no imagination at all and can't find anything in a parts list. Working as a technician, the standard was to always take the old part if possible to compare to what the counter person thinks is the right part. They often get it wrong. It is a bit of a crap-shoot for parts that must be ordered either from the dealer or on-line. Where possible, I always look up my own parts, and if I get it wrong, it is my problem.

However, a part like a wiper insert that is rarely ordered may be hard to get even if it is still listed as available as the sales volume may be very low. Even the factory warehouses may not stock them. Another issue is shipping where the shipping cost could easily exceed the price of the part. So you may not save much over the cost of the full blade.

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Parts for any 15 year old car will be slow sellers, so most will need to be ordered.

This is an adjustment for me coming from the '07 Accord and '05 Focus. Between the dealer, the auto parts chains, and the pick-a-part, there is enough to rebuild the car from scratch over a weekend, with everything in stock. The only car that has been harder to track down parts for was a Ur-Quattro.

On more than one occasion I've ordered an exact part number (brake pads) from Toyota, and have received something similar but different.

What happens, is that the front clerk's computer will instruct them to send an "updated" item part #. The clerk is not going to know why you wanted semi-metallic over ceramic. They think you are getting the upgraded part.
    '00 2zz 5spd
    scottsmods.com