Most miles on a pre-03' 1zz? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most miles on a pre-03' 1zz?

Spyderchat Enthusiast lostpilot28's Avatar

Interesting...I just did a quick search and found that it does have superior cleaning advantages. My Genesis is GDI, so it gets carbon buildup on the intake valves...definitely no bueno. Although I have catch-cans, it still happens (just not as fast)...I wonder if the Pennzoil Ultra would help that.

For my Spyder, I've never looked inside the engine beyond the top of the pistons, and they look surprisingly clean...and it doesn't seem to burn much oil at all. It doesn't like to be "full", and always settles to the mid level on the dipstick, where it stays pretty much until the oil change.

Either way, this is great information...I used to avoid Pennzoil back in the early 90's on a 1968 Mustang I rebuilt. It would sludge up pretty bad back then, but clearly old habits die hard with me! Time to see things have changed.
    Sonny W.
    2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
    2003 MR2 Spyder

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpyderChat.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lostpilot28 View Post
    Interesting...I just did a quick search and found that it does have superior cleaning advantages. My Genesis is GDI, so it gets carbon buildup on the intake valves...definitely no bueno. Although I have catch-cans, it still happens (just not as fast)...I wonder if the Pennzoil Ultra would help that.

For my Spyder, I've never looked inside the engine beyond the top of the pistons, and they look surprisingly clean...and it doesn't seem to burn much oil at all. It doesn't like to be "full", and always settles to the mid level on the dipstick, where it stays pretty much until the oil change.

Either way, this is great information...I used to avoid Pennzoil back in the early 90's on a 1968 Mustang I rebuilt. It would sludge up pretty bad back then, but clearly old habits die hard with me! Time to see things have changed.
    I don't think it will help with the carbon build up on valves as that is a GDI design issue. That is why Toyota has been successful with their DS4 system because it uses port and direct injectors.

Pennzoil is not the old Pennzoil. It's actually Shell Helix and marketed in America as Pennzoil.
    There is no way to know what the oil is doing for you in terms of wear without doing an UOA. However there is a way to tell what its doing for you in the clean department and that is to open your valve cover and see if there is any yellowing.
    Also what you don't see at the hottest parts of the engine like the pistons where this deposit formation can accumulate on the oil drain holes and ring packs.
    Im convinced after following some trends and my own experience using the Pennzoil Platinum (not ultra) in my Honda that it does clean the engine that was previously varnished.
    I have personally seen engines that ran Mobil 1 since its the most popular synthetic oil that formed deposits and varnish, not to the extent of regular oil but its enough to let me know that having the cleanest engine is worth switching brands especially when the costs are the same.

The 0W-40 ultra on the other hand from the specs that matter is a special oil that is clearly superior in its formulation compared to the other Pennzoil line up. It was designed to be used in performance cars.
    The high viscosity index is though the roof and its reported to be using the newer trinuclear moly that should offer great wear protection without sacrificing lubricity.
    KeyTechniques
    You can find our web page by typing "Keytechniques" on top of your browser and clicking the first result.
    Keyhole covers / Bumper plugs / MR-S key-chains / Door sills / Bushing kits and so much more.