Original muffler flange size for custom exhaust

Thread: Original muffler flange size for custom exhaust

Spyderchat Enthusiast Mr.Mr2006's Avatar

Default Original muffler flange size for custom exhaust

Hi,
    I am trying to build myself a custom exhaust for my mr2 using a magnaflow muffler, right now I am gathering all the metal pipes I need and so far so good but I have one question regarding the exhaust flange that connects the muffler to the Cat pipe. Since I will be tuning a 2.5inch setup i ordered a 2.5 inch flange and the original cat wire gasket. Once arrived, the flange seems to be bit to big for the gasket/seal. I was wondering if anyone has their stock muffler or Cat laying around and could take few measurement for me 😅
    I have attached a photo of how deep the seal seats and am wondering if that how it should be???🤔 also the distance between the center of the holes is about 120mm, if anyone could check for this , I would be very Thankful.
    Regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpyderChat.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mr2006 View Post
    Hi,
    I am trying to build myself a custom exhaust for my mr2 using a magnaflow muffler, right now I am gathering all the metal pipes I need and so far so good but I have one question regarding the exhaust flange that connects the muffler to the Cat pipe. Since I will be tuning a 2.5inch setup i ordered a 2.5 inch flange and the original cat wire gasket. Once arrived, the flange seems to be bit to big for the gasket/seal. I was wondering if anyone has their stock muffler or Cat laying around and could take few measurement for me 😅
    I have attached a photo of how deep the seal seats and am wondering if that how it should be???🤔 also the distance between the center of the holes is about 120mm, if anyone could check for this , I would be very Thankful.
    Regards.
    i have a stock muffler in the basement... i'll snap some shots tonight

Quote Originally Posted by kamlung View Post
    Hi,
    Regards.
    i have a stock muffler in the basement... i'll snap some shots tonight
    Thanks man that would be great !

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpyderChat.com
    Advertisements

Hi,
    Regards.
    sorry i don't have a metric tape measure so it's all in yankee numbers...

the donut gasket is corret to fit, however distance between center of holes i get is 4.5"... the OEM exhaust tube itself is 2", and the seat where the donut gasket sits opens up to 2 3/4"... i'll upload the pics when i get my phone connected to the computer...

Quote Originally Posted by kamlung View Post
    Thanks so much for the photos and the dimensions ! ,
    Looks like my flange is slightly too large... 🤔
    I probably could trim bit of metal and the holes for the bolts would line up...but I might get a smaller flange and therefore the gasket might sit a bit better than now maybe.

Thanks, ill update the thread as I get it done, if you want to share any tips on custom exhaust build please send below 👍🤘