What's the max safe tongue weight if I were to make a trailer hitch?

Thread: What's the max safe tongue weight if I were to make a trailer hitch?

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Question What's the max safe tongue weight if I were to make a trailer hitch?

Hey guys, I'm planning on buying a small 125cc bike (a honda grom clone) at the end of the summer. I'm playing with the idea of making a tow hitch so I can plop the bike on the back and drive about 100 mi on the interstate to and from college about 2-3 times a year. I've seen people towing small trailers before, but not with a bunch of weight on the tongue like how I may do it. I would be using one of those tiny dirt bike racks that just go directly on the hitch. The bike weighs about ~225lb.

Stole this photo from someone on these forums lol:
    3436527404_2d24a693ff_b.jpg
    It doesn't seem like those connection points would like a lot of torque on them, would there be a better way to make one of these? Hoping I can just cut metal and bolt it together to keep the cost low. I don't have anywhere to keep a small trailer especially at college, and that would probably make it too much weight to pull anyways. I'm driving alone, so the bike is the same weight as another passenger. It's just the hitch I'm worrying about...

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpyderChat.com
    Advertisements

Spyderchat Enthusiast cyclehead's Avatar

A few thoughts, 250 lbs hanging off the rear won’t behave the same as a 250 lb passenger between the wheelbase. My homemade hitch uses two 7/8 diameter steel rods threaded to pick up the M22x2.0 nuts for the towing eyes. The rods deflect to rest on the bumper crash bar through-holes. So I think the welded nuts see a little fore/aft load from starting and stopping a trailer. Tongue weight should result in pushing the crash bar down, and prying the welded nuts upwards.

I’m trying to imagine driving with a passenger sitting on my carry rack. Uck. The rods should take the load. I just worry about the handling being really goofed up. How about you carry the Grom front wheel and let the rear wheel roll? Or just go with a small trailer.

One of the forum members carried a spyder transmission on a similar carry rack. It didn’t end well. (Or was it a transmission AND engine?)

https://i.imgur.com/ncOcIOo.jpg

Scotland, UK. Also, costantly in Fifajays fantasies

Sure I've read somewhere the spyder is not suitable for towing.
    Ex 06 sable, now 2018 Porsche 718 Boxster. Also 2016 Honda VFR800.

Quote Originally Posted by nelix View Post
    Sure I've read somewhere the spyder is not suitable for towing.
    That would be the owner's manual.