2GR turbo Spyder build for race track - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 2GR turbo Spyder build for race track

The car is nearly ready for the next track test. I am waiting for custom AST struts and had it dynoed today. Changes we made since the last dyno are:

New LS7 transmission fully installed, heat shields added (some more to do), new air intake system with shorter runners, and shorter boost pipes, and added a water/meth system managed by the Motec ECU. Also several other suspension changes which will make a difference in handling.

See new intake...

intake.jpg

Water/meth system was run on a 50:50 basis to keep air temps down in the intake. This stuff is worth it!! I suspect this was the main reason for an increase in power at 1 bar from 415 kw today to 433 kw previously (+ 4.3%) at 6500 rpm, and 740 nm today vs 699 nm before (+ 5.9%)!

16 Okt 2017 1 bar vs old .jpg

We then tested at 1.3 bar and at 1.5 bar. You will have to guess what the power results were... The boost pipe came off at 1.5 bar at around 6000 rpm on a solo run, but it was impressive to say the least.

Power is climbing in a straight line up to 6500 which was the limit we set on the dyno for prudency reasons, so power at redline of 7200 should be even more interesting...

The Kaps LS7 transmission works well and I chucked the gear lever in totality, now only relying on the Motec GPR package to manage gear shifts. The car is geared for 278 kph @ 7000 rpm.

Come on AST - deliver the package as I cannot wait to test for the next race at Kyalami on 28 October, and the full Extreme Supercar race on 4 November!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpyderChat.com
    Advertisements

Here is a short clip of the MR2 down the straight at Kyalami during my Extreme Supercar (first) race the past weekend. The clip will show the acceleration of the car, as well as the smooth operation of the Kaps LS7 transmission.

The race was a 15 lap race (ended up to be 18 laps due to incidents and a red flag) and I could not do the 2nd race as the engine mounting bush melted being too close to the header, although I added a heat shield... The car felt better, but the handling is still not what it should be. I am still waiting for the AST struts and had to run with bent Koni struts...

My mechanic forgot to close the door when we stopped for a red flag - you will see it opening in the video. It did it in every r/h corner - very distracting...

Id like to see some datalogs of it going around the track to see the kind of speeds and G forces that thing is pulling

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpyderChat.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gts*Jason View Post
    Id like to see some datalogs of it going around the track to see the kind of speeds and G forces that thing is pulling
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cobra; 11-08-2017 at 01:25 PM. Reason: better res

Spyderchat Enthusiast KseriesPower's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    Thats pretty low res. Can you increase resolution? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KseriesPower View Post
    Thats pretty low res. Can you increase resolution? Thanks
    Done - see edited post

Spyderchat Noob

Default update

What is the latest?

It has been a while since I posted.

We struggled to get the MR2 to handle properly, and finally decided to change the rear suspension to a double wishbone setup. We copied my Lotus Exige's setup, and what a change! It is evident the rear of the MR2 is not built for 850nm of torque and has too much play in it.

We are presently making several further changes for the Knysna Hillclimb taking place 6&7 May, and hope to be competitive this year. I did a 42.7s last year which in the past would have placed me in the top5 overall, but the competition is getting tough and I was only placed 12th overall last year.

I compete with the car in the local G&H Extreme Supercars series where we have the fastest cars in the country, and in the last race I did the 5th fastest overall lap time, but unfortunately overdid it and spun out which placed me further back. But I plan to improve on that as well. We currently are again working on more aero, reducing drag, and shedding about 60kg of weight. It should make a fair improvement.

The car is in pieces right now and I will post pics once done.

We are also moving the intercooler, moving fuel tank to front, lower centre of gravity by using the space left by the old fuel tank, etc.

b28f6894-9a9d-42d7-a301-d0527529ddb0.jpgIMG_0178.jpgIMG_0174.jpgIMG_0173.jpgIMG_0166.jpgIMG_0169.JPGIMG_0167.JPG

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Hooray an update!

Please do post picks of the double wishbone setup?
    I'd be very interested to see how it's coupled with the rear subframe.

Cheers!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

This is one of my runs at the Knysna Hillclimb last year - hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLH6_qVcDSc

Also short clip of a race last year at Kyalami. My mechanic did not close the left door properly, and the car handled bad at the time with the standard MR2 rear strut setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEnyuvblOvw

Spyderchat Noob

Default Update

Spectacular! thanks. Watching this space in anticipation.

Suspension rear. These are older pics and we since decided to make further changes to fuel tank, turbo exhaust, water lines, and several others. But it will give an idea what we did with the suspension. The uprights were custom made but the guy has plans drawn if someone wants to buy from him. He is in Pinetown, South Africa. We copied a set made specially for my Lotus, but made the spacing even wider due to wheel sizes being 18" and it removed every bit of play which it could have had. It is also vertically adjustable for lower and upper control arms.

IMG_9971.jpgIMG_9972.jpgIMG_9973.jpgIMG_9974.jpgIMG_9975.jpgIMG_9976.jpgIMG_9977.jpgIMG_9978.jpgIMG_9979.jpgIMG_9980.jpgIMG_9981.jpg

Spyderchat Enthusiast

Wow.... I don't suppose that lovely subframe can be remade for others to purchase??

And I'm guessing the rear "knuckle?" Is completely custom?

Please do pass me his details - I've got family in the Cape who travel round a lot for work and I'd happily divert them across to pick things up!

Last edited by JohnVZ; 03-28-2019 at 06:52 AM. Reason: update

Wow that's some extensive modifications! I was just wondering today what a spyder would look like without the macpherson suspension system and here it is. More pics with the aero too.
    Get your Rcntype spyder themed coffee mugs here: Hidden Content
    as well as other designs on my etsy shop: Hidden Content

Spyderchat Enthusiast

wow....!!
    MR_j0nz - '01 2ZZW30 202 HT

Quote Originally Posted by JohnVZ View Post
    Wow.... I don't suppose that lovely subframe can be remade for others to purchase??

And I'm guessing the rear "knuckle?" Is completely custom?

Please do pass me his details - I've got family in the Cape who travel round a lot for work and I'd happily divert them across to pick things up!

Thank you for the effective compliment! However, I propose that you design the crossmember/subframe together with suspension as mine is built for much lower ride height together with the uprights and control arms. The subframe was a relatively easy build but we simply do not have time to build for others and already are concerned about getting the car ready before it is transported to Knysna for the Hillclimb early May. My other cars are also waiting to be done and we are working overtime at present...

We are progressing with several modifications for the Simola (Knysna) Hillclimb early May where I hope to do well. I prefer not to mention all mods (we also have some secrets lol) but these pics will show parts of it. Bodywork is being painted after aero changes and will be assembled coming week.

In addition to the aero changes (increased downforce and reduced drag) we possibly also lost about 70kgs of weight - will measure soon exactly how many... Power is also up...

Fuel tank removed and all coolers and pumps moved to the area to lower centre of gravity and improved balance.
    IMG_0677.jpg

OE power steering removed and added electrical on the steering column.
    IMG_0679.jpg

Holes made larger in bonnet, and various other parts changed for aero
    IMG_0685.jpg

Front splitter nearly done. The front hot air ducting after the radiator must still be finished after we changed the layout, included adding a fuel tank at the front.
    IMG_0739.jpg

Those who know a Spyder chassis will see several changes to it... To get lower ride height and for aero...
    IMG_0730.jpg

Intercooler position moved to get better airflow. The rear of the roof has slots and we made the whole area to cause negative air pressure behind the window to suck air out.
    IMG_0732.jpg

Fire wall behind driver made with triple insultation, and even 5 x insulation between front headers and driver. It gets really hot in this car... Most exhaust parts also covered with light weight ally insulation. Also see red Fireball extinguisher behind driver on right hand side of car which ignites with open flames.
    IMG_0735.jpg

Dash area. I use a Vbox HD2 and plan to get tyre temp sensors for it as well to run the setup more effectively. The second Vbox is from my Lotus and we plan to do aero tests this week with tuffs, hence add as many cameras as possible everywhere. So far I have 6 cameras. Between the Motec Dash, M130 ECU, and dual chassis PDM,together with Vbox HD2 we monitor just about everything, and with real time video is really handy for data analysis.
    IMG_0741.jpg