MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone!

Well as the title says...I'm from S.A.
I'm new to Spyderchat, but have been frequently browsing the forum over the last year or so, when I began searching for an MR2.

I have to say that the amount of information and willingness to help out fellow enthusiasts is really impressive.:thumbsup:
Everything that I learned from this forum helped me to make an informed choice when selecting the MR2 I wanted...

Here in S.A., the Spyders were only available in 3 colours - red, yellow, and silver.

After searching for what seemed like eternity, I finally found a Spyder that was still in excellent condition overall and 99% original - the only part of the car that was not original was the tail piece (or exhaust tip as you guys say.)

I took delivery of her a little under 2 months ago, on the 1st of July.

Since then, I've had the miserable OEM HU replaced with a 1DIN Clarion DXZ785USB, and the speakers upgraded to JL Audio TR 650CSi splits.

The next thing that I plan to do - hopefully this weekend - is remove the precats, strictly as a preventative measure.
I doubt I'll go any further than that for now with any engine mods.

Comments and criticism welcome :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Welcome!

You said comments and criticism welcome... ummm whats to criticise? Looks great.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Red hardtop Spyders are clearly the best:)

Congratulations! Even with the steering wheel on the wrong side it is a beautiful car:)

·
Registered
977 Posts
hey due welcome, well im also from midrand and on the rare occasion that i use my spyder i saw a red on the way home turning into a road very close to where i live, ( i live in albertyn street)

tried chasing so i could get a better look but couldnt catch up.

iv got an 02 silver with a hardtop,

a funny thing i went to import parts recently and the girl there told me about her friend that bought a mint red mr2 from durban

we must hook up

also i see in your sig that it says 20V track project? you going to strip down such a neat car? lol i always wanted a red

·
Registered
352 Posts
:welcome:! Congrats on the spyder, looking good. Agreed do the pre-cats asap! Enjoy driving her, the most fun you will ever have.

We should all hook up sometime:cool:. Hey rev are you also on the SA forum?

·
Registered
352 Posts
In didnt mind silver or red, ended up getting silver. Love it in silver :wub: I must admit the silver doesnt stand out as much as the red. As a plus scratches arent so noticeable on the silver as apposed to the red.

Rev, once you start spending sometime on the forum the bug is going to bite and you going to contract moddinglitus or tunerlitus. lamo!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:icon_mrgreen: Thanks to everyone for all the compliments!

@ Dizzy Monkey - I assume the "Cowboy hat" is the hardtop? What's the diaper supposed to be - the lower cover?

@ Spyder813 - I agree, red is the fastest colour :icon_thumright:

@ Mateo Largo - But on the right, is right... :lol:

@ silverbullet - what a small world hey...I live in Berger Road! Yup, that was me Cristina was talking about, and she told me about you too. The 20v i'm building is destined for the MR2...not right away, but maybe early next year. I'm not planning to strip it down, as most of my weight saving will be in replacement carbon fibre panels.

@ Ricky22 - I'm totally keen for a hookup - you guys say when, and I'm there! Will bring Shyam along as well...
And yes I did register on the SA Forum, though things are pretty quiet there...
I'm also part of the TTCC - currently going under the username DUB KILR...which will soon to change to REV211 also.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I believe the cowboy hat is the toyota badge on the front bumper. The toyota badge kinda looks like a cowboys hat :lol:

The diaper is the black plastic cover under the motor.

Sounds like you planing for a mean spyder in the near future! Did you instal your audio system your self?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe the cowboy hat is the toyota badge on the front bumper. The toyota badge kinda looks like a cowboys hat :lol:

The diaper is the black plastic cover under the motor.

Sounds like you planing for a mean spyder in the near future! Did you instal your audio system your self?
Okay, I get it now... :lol:

Well the diaper will be be pretty much concealed once I get around to the bodykit.

Well I hope it'll be as mean as it sounds now on paper...the entire project has taken 3 years of research and planning, and I purchased the engine parts over the last year.

The HU I changed myself - it was the HU i had in the Corolla...it's so much easier to work on the MR2 than the Corolla!
The JL splits I could have done myself, but didnt have the time to make spacers. I bought and fitted them at Motor Technique. I would like to add in a JL 6w3v3 subwoofer sometime soon as well...

·
Registered
977 Posts
cool we must all hook up, i like the idea, just when and where.

@rev if you are taking any stock panels off your car or anything else and may be interested n selling, let me knowl, i actually like to put the "diaper" back on my car.

i see you say you building your engine, maybe you can help me out with my oil problem, thinking maybe a complete overhaul of my engine, with all oem parts. the import engines are too expensive.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hey man i checked you at the midrand pick n pay yesterday, i was with my chic so i didnt intro myself, walked right past you and your car.

You are very tall, how do you fit in the spyder?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts