MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had this 03 5 speed for about a month so far, and it runs and drives great. I changed the oil on it recently just for peace of mind. It's had 2 owners before me, the first owner who drove it mostly, had all maintenance records, however the 2nd guy didn't have any, but he said he kept up with oil changes. The car has 141,000 miles on it, and I'm not sure what's been done or hasn't. I'm thinking about a coolant flush, spark plugs, change leaky valve cover gasket, axle seals, tranny fluid, etc.

As far as coolant flush, it's drain, fill, crack front bleeder open with a hose hanging up in air, leave cap open, heat running, then wait for car to heat up?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Coolant flush good idea
brake bleed good idea
transaxel fluid change (MT90) good idea
O2 sensors could be worth doing at 141
fixing anything leaking obvious

plugs if the car is running well I do not see the point.

check tires make sure they are quality matched tires.
Let me be the first to mention gutting your pre-cats. If you're doing your O2 sensors, check the Comprehensive O2 Sensor Replacement Parts thread. While you have the sensors out, check your precats. If they're still there, you should remove and gut them. Follow the tutorial in this thread.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Coolant every two years right? I think I'm due. Anyone got the procedure to replace? I think OP was asking as well.

·
Registered
23,073 Posts
Coolant every two years right? I think I'm due. Anyone got the procedure to replace? I think OP was asking as well.
I would say ever four or five years with the phosphate free Toyota coolant.

·
Registered
782 Posts
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa480/kbranch4/100_0511_00.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa480/kbranch4/100_0510.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa480/kbranch4/100_0511.jpg

It's the toyota manual, I bought mine off E-bay (175$ and worth every penny). There are some posts on the net from people on how to do this. If you decide to do this and have questions along the way contact me. see pics if it helps (try zooming in if you can)

Edit: http://www.spydermagazine.com/2002/Nov/coolant/coolant.htm
Try this site, I used it for reference when I changed mine.

Oh, the 2 main line drains have gaskets. Copper crush washers, I re-used mine as they were in good shape but they should be changed. Your car should have sevice hoses (clear plastic hoses) attached when you remove your frunk cover. you can use this hose when draining fluid. I bought extra hoses at the hardware store but you don't really have to.
from a previous post

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't seem to find the gear oil for use in the transmission. I want to drain the old fluid and put some cheap oil in there till I can get some redline, and have the time to replace the axle seals.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I purchased a 01 spyder in Feb. I did not know the service history althought it looked very well cared for. I changed the coolant, brake fluid and transaxle fluid. I don't plan to change these again for a few years probably 4 or so.

I would not put cheap oil in the transaxle. Find some GL4 to top it off until you replace the seals. I purchased Redline from my local shop. MWR also carries it. Plugs and belt... look at them first. Tires and brakes would be my top priority for condition. I like to be able to stop and grip the road on twisties. That kind of mileage you may need a clutch and or struts soon.

I installed Corky's BP and a FSTB and am very happy with the extra stiffness. Now to drive anywhere with the top down.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll top it off with GL4 then, you just remove the filler bolt, and fill it till fluid starts to drip out?

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Firewall side of the transaxle. Fill to you see it starting to drip out. Remove the diaper to access from underneath.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I purchased a 01 spyder in Feb. I did not know the service history althought it looked very well cared for. I changed the coolant, brake fluid and transaxle fluid. I don't plan to change these again for a few years probably 4 or so.

I would not put cheap oil in the transaxle. Find some GL4 to top it off until you replace the seals. I purchased Redline from my local shop. MWR also carries it. Plugs and belt... look at them first. Tires and brakes would be my top priority for condition. I like to be able to stop and grip the road on twisties. That kind of mileage you may need a clutch and or struts soon.

I installed Corky's BP and a FSTB and am very happy with the extra stiffness. Now to drive anywhere with the top down.
It's a 2001 check & remove precats,just search on this site for info

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I have read many posts about the precats. I have a hard time with the logic of being sucked upstream during overlap. I am burning oil and my precats are whole. I do have a Zeroexhaust being made that will replace the OEM header and precats so eitherway they will be gone. I suspect I have oil control rings stuck in the pistons and or blocked oil passage. I may look into this come winter.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Yup, I will need to look into the oil consumption, not bad yet, but I would rather have much less to none. I suspect rings but that is just a guess. When the top goes up is the time for me to look into this much closer.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is there anything else I'm going to need to replace the axle seals besides the two seals? Anyone have the instructions out of the service manual? I've done one for the E153, doubt it's much different for this.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Unless you have signs of seal leakage, I would not recommend replacing the Axle Seals..

The Left Side is about a Normal Honda difficulty UNLESS the Axle Gods are Pissed that day, then you'll be playing Hell to get the Axle Out.. ( Thread on Removing the Axle Exists ) .. the Right Side is more Complicated, because of the Carrier Bearing.. but it has no keeper to mess with.. But the Suspension has to be Taken apart, then Re-Assembled.. then Aligned..

I'd recommend NOT doing the seal..

Cap

·
Registered
23,073 Posts
Did you ever find the procedure on how to fill the coolant?
It is not an easy process. Do a search in the library for a how to.
There are a good number of drain holes and the bleeding procedure takes a good while to get out all of the bubbles. Then you have to bleed again in a few days. If you don't bleed it completely you risk overheating the engine unexpectedly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts