MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dash lights just quit working. I checked the fuse and it was blown. I changed it, that one blew too. Does anyone have the same problem? I was thinking it might be the dash light reostat to adjust brightness. That is real easy to get too, so I figure, that wont be it. Just hoping for something easy. Thanks for your help. This is the first problem I have had with the car. It has over 76,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket cd player / stereo?

This exact thing was happening in my previous car. It was caused by an uncapped wire from the stereo contacting metal in the dash and causing a short. A little bit of tape and 5 minutes fixed the problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mr2 no dash lights

Yes, I put a kenwood system in. I soldered all the wires and then covered them with wire connectors to hide the solder. I will check all my connections again and wrap them with black tape. Thank you for your help. I hope this fixes it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
03 syder no dash lights

Thank you for the information. Do you think the new radio is drawing too many amps? Should I try to put in a heavier fuse? I have had the radio in since December. I am surprised that it would happen this late after installing the radio. I will try what you said and see it that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
A heavier fuse without heavier wire in that circuit will result in the wires melting before the fuse blows in a short circuit situation.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
we can discuss it after we've fixed the current problem.

Was'nt that is First Complaint.. a Current Problem Blowing Fuses.. :)

Cap

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
No need to get all amped up over this. Shocking that we can't figure out this current problem. I can see why the OP might get a little short with us. Wire we continuing to discuss this? I've got my ion this thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no dash lights

Yes, I do understand the explaination about using disimular electronics. I guess I couldnt figure out why it just happened. I will disconnect the wires you mentioned and then let you know how it works out. I had to let my car sit at a shop while I brought a car home to detail. I will have it tomorrow night and will try your suggestions. Thank you all for your help. Sorry I didnt get on sooner, but comcast in their infinit wisdom changed my passwords on my email and I spent 3 hours fixing both computers and cell phone. thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no dash lights

I put a new fuse in tonight and the dash lights work fine. I never found the green wire. I looked in the book to find the wire for illumination, and there was none. I really dont know what happened. I just hope it lasts. Thank you everyone for all your help.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
This is a great example of why I opted to upgrade with a Scion HU.

An aftermarket HU, like a Pioneer or Kenwood, may have features you want, but it usually won't look stock. Won't match the stock lighting, won't match the dash. In most cases, it leaves a gap below the unit, and sometimes even sticks out a bit - giving that tacky "teenage punk" look.

Worse, it involves cutting wires, and one of the rules governing happy sports car ownership is that you don't muck about with the electrics because then you get into Lucas territory. These cars are trouble enough without dumping that whole bucket of joy into the equation.

No, the Scion doesn't let you get into the whole fade-over, cross-tweeter, dual-amp, bazooka tube thing. On the other hand, it is plug and play. It's a Toyota part with sockets that mate with the stock hardware and once fitted it works perfectly and gives you a significant upgrade in sound.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Why not just connect the aftermarket stereo directly to the battery? Both 12v connection to the battery. There is one for working the stereo and one for the memory. Put them together and connect to the battery. You have to turn off the stereo manually but on the other hand you can listen to the radio without the key in the ignition.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Only us old farts will understand the Prince of Darkness reference.:lol:
for those that aren't ole farts and would like to know....

Lucas is the Darth Vadar like nemesis of British manufactured auto electrics.

ARRRRGE Curses to you Lord Lucas!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lucas Electronics

Funny you should mention the Lucas electonics. I also had a BSA motorcycle that had the Lucas electronics. What a nightmare. I always understood the term Bastard Stopped Again. My brother is an electrical engineer who cut every wire, took out the endless run of ground wires, and ended up with a small wire strand that ran perfect. By that time I was so tired of the no start and breaking down, it was too late, I sold it. ( it was a neat looking chopper) My buddy bought it from me and drove it forever with no problems. Hope Im not just inclined to having electrical problems. So far the dash light are working perfect. It must have been a weak fuse. As for the radio not looking good, and looking like a kids car, I dont know if I agree. I got a kit that fit the radio and it has a pocket underneath for my ipod. I used the kit so there where no wires to cut. I added 2 back speakers so I had to run wires to the front and add them to the new wires to the radio. It made a big difference. No I dont have to blast it at speed,. It did take me a long time to before I changed it as I didnt want to mess up the look, but I figured that its a 2003, with 75,000 miles. I dont believe it will ever be worth tons of money some day. In case Im wrong, I saved the old radio. Thanks everyone for your opinions and ideas.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
WOW !!!

i didn't know that he knew how to SNAFU bikes too:eek:

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
Lucas made the refrigerators, the reason the English drink warm beer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts