Registered
5,904 Posts
04 in a 00 IS the way you want to go..

If it was from a Spyder.. No Issues..

Cap

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I like the '01 ECU.. the Ignition Timming is a little More Agressive, and the Fuel Millage is just a little bit better.. And swapping ECU's with the Immobilizer can be a Pain if you do not have the ECU's key..

Cap

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Follow Up Question:

I have the complete '04 driveline for the '00 car. What needs to be retained and what needs to be kept from the '00?

I was going to have the engine and transmission installed as they are very low miles. While I haven't seen the new engine/transmission yet, I assume I need to retain the '00 exhaust manifold but what about the fuel rails and intake manifold?

Also, since I will be retaining the '00 ECU I assume I need to swap the harness as well?

Any other tips on the swap?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
If you have a Complete Driveline from an '04.. stuff it in.. INTACT..

it will plug and play.. use what ever wireharness you like..

Cap

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately, I am not where the car is and the work is being done. They tell me it doesn't match up. Any ideas on what the issues are?

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I'm curious about this as well, as I'm basically doing the same. Would there be any advantages or disadvantages keeping a '00 ECU instead of an '05? And anyone know offhand if the "JDM," ECU (IDK if there's a difference there either) would present a problem?

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Are you certain it's a like-for-like swap (MT to MT, or SMT to SMT)?

Although, oddly enough there is a different part number for the USDM 5MT engine wire harness beginning 2/2004.....
A buck says it's an emissions systems change. If you can use the old harness, go for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Based on what I know now, it appears that the engine, less the intake and exhaust manifolds and transmission is identical. But there may be differences in the manifolds, intake track and fuel rail/system. That would mean a different harness and ancilaries. I don't know and without the car in front of me to inspect, I can't be sure.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
If the Intake, and fuel rail is different, then it did not come from a spyder.. ( Unless it's a Modded Spyder )

Either way.. tell them to make it fit.. what ever pieces are nessasary to swap..

there is no benifit to be had from osing one year over the other..

EXCEPT.. you likely will not have Keys for the 'Other ECU'.. so it will not run in your car.. With out some programming changes..

Cap

1 - 13 of 13 Posts