MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok fellas, as most of you know my motor is eating oil
I was originally using 5W-30 grade oil when I noticed oil consumption, to which I then switched to 10W-40 hoping to reduce the oil consumption and as it stands the motor is now burning around 500ml per 1000km.
Know I know the manual says we can use 15W-40 but Australia is currently in winter so it can get cold, is it safe to use this grade of oil when it is winter?
I plan to rebuild this motor next year with forged internals to take a centrifugal charger and just need this motor to hold out till then.

Just a little afterthought, would all this excess oil burning damage the motor block in anyway, as long as I keep the oil topped up I should be fine???

Oh yeah it has 75000 miles on the clock and is a 04 motor, it used to see track running once a month for two years till they closed down the course, it also sees spirited driving Atleast 2 times a week and casual driving sees 3500rpm shift points

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
As OldMan said and the W means winter not weight.

I would use a 40 weight oil and see if the consumption comes down and if not then it's serious and you can try to go heavier to buy you some time.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone,
I'm already using 10W-40 the brand is penrite, should I perhaps try a 10W-50 grade oil or even a 5W-50 grade?

Also I rechecked the oil after letting the car sit for half an hour after driving it and the consumption looks like its more 300-350ml per 1000km not 500ish like I thought is was (got incorrect reading when I checked it just after I drove it)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.