MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got this 2000 mr2 about 3 months ago. when i bought it it had a bad engine. so i took it to get rebuild. i saw that it was leaking oil so i took it back to the guy who rebuild it, he said to put a seal to stop the leak. so here on the site some one had the same leak like mine. all he did was he bought a o-ring, part # 9030122013. so i bought it at my local toyota and got it put on but it still leaks. heres a vid i took just now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j_LK5PLcDc

·
Registered
147 Posts
so i got this 2000 mr2 about 3 months ago. when i bought it it had a bad engine. so i took it to get rebuild. i saw that it was leaking oil so i took it back to the guy who rebuild it, he said to put a seal to stop the leak. so here on the site some one had the same leak like mine. all he did was he bought a o-ring, part # 9030122013. so i bought it at my local toyota and got it put on but it still leaks. heres a vid i took just now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j_LK5PLcDc
did you tighten the two bolts beyond 6ft lbs? I replaced mine and it still leaks a little. I put a little bit of Toyota's black RTV around the outside of the flange to help a little with it. Seems to be holding up.

·
Registered
23,073 Posts
Two things here. You need to confirm that it is leaking at the seal. I would clean off the area and then see if the oil is weeping from that area.

If not then you will have to find the oil leak.

When you have taken it back to the re-builder why did they not fix the issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two things here. You need to confirm that it is leaking at the seal. I would clean off the area and then see if the oil is weeping from that area.

If not then you will have to find the oil leak.

When you have taken it back to the re-builder why did they not fix the issue.
the rebuilder said he did not touch that part, it leaks next to the bottom bolt

·
Registered
23,073 Posts
the rebuilder said he did not touch that part, it leaks next to the bottom bolt
That a poor excuse for someone who rebuilt your motor.

Now I have to ask you, how did he rebuild your motor.

Did he have it sent out to be hot tanked and machined ?
Or did he just put in new rings, bearings and called it a day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when i took it to him i told him i wanted the whole engine rebuild. so i assume he did all the machine work

·
Registered
23,073 Posts
when i took it to him i told him i wanted the whole engine rebuild. so i assume he did all the machine work
Then obviously he should be responsible for that part as well.
I did not know you can pick and choose which of the work is covered on a complete rebuild.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
his work dose have a 90 day warranty. i just dont want him to say take the engine out because thats more money that i should not have to spend. i think he should take care of that because it is his fault

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm not sure you want that "rebuilder" to touch it. If it leaks, and "I didn't touch that", he obviously has no pride whatsoever in his "work"

Kinda late for you now, but this might show that you need to ask around for good mechanics/machinists.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Right now I would knock the next person in the face if they told me that.

If he rebuilt it. I imagine he took the timing chain cover off. There are a few spots where the rigid RTV is supposed to go on the TC cover, specifically near the head and the tensioner. So even though you might have a new tensioner it could be leaking right from the TC cover right where the head and TC cover meet. The O-ring might not do it. But its also possible to "pinch" the o-ring causing it to leak as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right now I would knock the next person in the face if they told me that.

If he rebuilt it. I imagine he took the timing chain cover off. There are a few spots where the rigid RTV is supposed to go on the TC cover, specifically near the head and the tensioner. So even though you might have a new tensioner it could be leaking right from the TC cover right where the head and TC cover meet. The O-ring might not do it. But its also possible to "pinch" the o-ring causing it to leak as well.
i just came from his shop. he said put silicon on it. then i told him what if that dosent fix the problem. he said bring it back and i try to find the leak. when i was puting the silicon, i really looked hard for any other place it could be coming from and im pretty confident it is from the timing chain cover. so im going to take it to him tomarrow so he can finsh the job

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
According to the BGB and I have to double check because I've been on the 2zz. I know the 1zz has different spots where you have to place the Rigid RTV, and I believe on the TC it gets a very thin bead all around. ( can someone confirm )I will double check for you. Either way I know the location on the where the TC cover meets the tensioner/head gets a very thin bead.

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
Put silicone on it? Without removing the piece? Don't let him touch your car again if that is his advice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts