MR2 SpyderChat banner

1zz Engine Replacement

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  titleist 
#1 ·
Hello guys,
I am new to the forum, and I just got a spyder with 75,000 miles on it. I bought it knowing that the engine needs replaced since the previous owner ran it out of oil and threw a rod. Now I am starting in on replacing it, and I would like to know if I can use the long block out of a Corolla and use the MR-2's wiring harness and ECU.
Thanks,
JP

#3 ·
It won't be as easy. You will have to tap to install accessories. If you have skills, no big deal--all the performance gains are in the head and engine management (bigger valves and such). I wanted to add that this is the time to do your 2ZZ install--if you don't do it now, you will wish you had later.

#4 ·
The link OldMan provided goes through what is needed to do what you want. It isn't that bad of a job if you're mechanically inclined. You could also most likely have the drilling and tapping done for you as well. Call some local machine shops for the work.

Another thing I would do is look closely at the pre-cats in the header. If nothing else gut them while you have everything off, it's a quick job since you'll have it off already. If they're deteriorated, replace the main cat too, or you could have more problems down the road. I would probably replace the main cat either way for peace of mind.

#6 ·
Oh yea.. like you know anything about replacing 1ZZ's.. :) < Sarcastic Humor >

I'll be Scrambling junk parts around in the Shop soon.. trying to get my Replacement engine ready.. Only so many more miles she will live.. and it's a DD..

Cap

#7 ·
Oh yea.. like you know anything about replacing 1ZZ's.. :) < Sarcastic Humor >

I'll be Scrambling junk parts around in the Shop soon.. trying to get my Replacement engine ready.. Only so many more miles she will live.. and it's a DD..

Cap
Oh yea... like you know anything about keeping a 1ZZ running < sarcastic humor (sheepishly) >

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.