MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1ZZ-FE Engine For Sale

2001 Toyota 1ZZ-FE engine to sale. This engine came out of a theft recovered 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder, VIN # JTDFR320110032181.

It was used in my son's 2000 MR2 while his original engine was being rebuilt. Do not know how many miles the engine has on it. It developed a knock while in my son's car and his original engine was reinstalled.

It is currently sitting on an engine stand in the garage here in Jacksonville, Fl.

Asking $1000.

I looked on ebay and engines were on there for $1500 or more and rebuild kits start at about $400.

Complete Engines | eBay

I can take pics but its a 1ZZ, we all know what it looks like.

I will monitor this site but you can contact me at [email protected] if you want.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I paid $50 each for 2 1ZZ's.. one had Rod Knock, one had Oil dripping out the Exhaust Manifold while running.

I do not expect too many takers at anything above $200.. I think it's the Accessories that might make this sale..

Cap

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Unknown miles and it has rod knock. You might want to consider lowering the price just a smidge.
I think xbiker's comment about maybe lowering the price "....just a smidge." was maybe a bit facetious. Rather than trying surgery on your price with a scalpel, you might want to try a chainsaw! Half that price with no knock might be ballpark. Most guys wanting to replace their 1ZZ with another 1ZZ are doing so because of rod-knock (or something worse).
Just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know how to make it any clearer. I totally understand, I had to start someplace and that seemed like a reasonable price to me based on what I have seen on ebay and others I have talked too. Once again I have absolutely no problem at all considering a reasonable offer. I hear what your saying but I don't hear any offers to buy.

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
I understand your frustration. Maybe I can explain. Once a 1ZZ engine has a rod knock most people throw the engine away. Rebuilding has not been very successful on a large number of 1ZZ engines over the years. Good luck with your son's rebuild but there are several threads of failed rebuilds out there in the inner webs and on this site. Not saying that someone won't offer a small amount and take off the head and other salvageable parts. GLWTS.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Just another thought to consider: As Agspyder noted, rebuilds of 1ZZ engines have not had roaring success over the years. I have no idea as to the cause of those issues, but an experienced, competent shop will typically have more in labor into one of those rebuilds than those rebuilt engines (on eBay or elsewhere) are usually sold for. A brand new 1ZZ short block goes in the neighborhood of $2K. You might want to hang onto that engine as a backup plan if the rebuilt engine you're now running goes south.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just another thought to consider: As Agspyder noted, rebuilds of 1ZZ engines have not had roaring success over the years. I have no idea as to the cause of those issues, but an experienced, competent shop will typically have more in labor into one of those rebuilds than those rebuilt engines (on eBay or elsewhere) are usually sold for. A brand new 1ZZ short block goes in the neighborhood of $2K. You might want to hang onto that engine as a backup plan if the rebuilt engine you're now running goes south.
Just a thought.
Your suggestion is exactly what my son did. I rebuilt his original engine about 3 years ago and we put the spare engine on an engine stand and wrapped it up as a spare. The rebuilt engine served him well until he out grew the Spyder and needed something to fit his family. Since he traded the car there is no longer a need to keep the spare engine.
To the best of our knowledge the rebuilt engine is still moving his old Spyder up and down the highway. As I stated before, I had to start someplace and based on what I saw advertised I felt the asking price was reasonable. Anyone interested, make me an offer I can not refuse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.