MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
amuse me.

should i turbo the current motor (1zz) i have? or just do a overhaul and get 2zz?

your thoughts?

·
Registered
86 Posts
It depends on what you want to do with your car. Do you want it to be track oriented or just have a fun street car. I say if you want it to be a track car...go 2zz. If you want it to be more of a street car...turbo the 1zz. I dont know how reliable the 1zz turbo would be for track use. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
There aint no replacement for displacement. Go v6.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts

That is retarded. He should do the rotary swap. It's more well documented.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
This is my choice as well!! But since there is so much you have to do yourself, that I am incapable of doing.....I would just go turbo 1zz.
That is retarded. He should do the rotary swap. It's more well documented.
Yup, Bottledfed has all the info for this and he is very open about the swap. You should contact him about it. He can send you TONS of informative pictures and might even come do the swap for you free of charge. He truly is a great member and asset to our community.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yup, Bottledfed has all the info for this and he is very open about the swap. You should contact him about it. He can send you TONS of informative pictures and might even come do the swap for you free of charge. He truly is a great member and asset to our community.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt there a recent thread about his hack jobs, seems to me he might not be the one you want even if it is free. Little rocket would be the best choice that comes to mind.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I notice most people that go turbo end up yanking it or trying to pass off a nightmare to noobs that don't know the 1st thing about it.

On the other hand lots of 2zz Spyders bring new life and get passesd down pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
GO 2zz or 2GR

turbo is a headache and trust me I know what I'm talking about

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
...saving up for this mod:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hard choice... as a track car 2zz would be the way to go as others have said. But i think a boosted 1zz would make a better all rounder type car. eg. With the extra torque from the turbo it would have better straight line speed, and be a better street car, but you will have more reliability type issues for a track car.

I'd imagine a turbo 1zz vs a 2zz with same WHP the turbo would be faster due to the power being available at lower RPM and better torque?? what do you guys think?

If it is done right, with a small turbo just making around 200-250hp and a quality build i dont think there should really be too many reliability issues and would definately feel much faster than a 2zz with the characteristics of a turbo engine.

But im a bit biased since a low boost turbo setup is my end game.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
turbo does sound good on the street tho..

i don't like it too laud, but just when it spools *droool.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts