MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so pardon my ignorance (believe me, I've got a LOT of questions), but why exactly should I swap my 1zz for a 2zz? I figure, my 1zz is lighter and has a shorter stroke (leaving more room in the cylinder for fuel and air thus more potential power). On top of that, i just dont feel like (and cant really afford) dropping $1200-3000 on a 2zz. Am I right? Or can someone show me the error in my ways?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Ok, so pardon my ignorance (believe me, I've got a LOT of questions), but why exactly should I swap my 1zz for a 2zz? I figure, my 1zz is lighter and has a shorter stroke (leaving more room in the cylinder for fuel and air thus more potential power). On top of that, i just dont feel like (and cant really afford) dropping $1200-3000 on a 2zz. Am I right? Or can someone show me the error in my ways?
Oh, my man... you are about to get lit up with a multitude of, "Search Noob!" comments...

You are new, and I prefer to help you out a bit. The 2ZZ has "lift"--dual camshaft for greater power at higher rpm's. The power characteristics are very similar until around 6000 rpm's, at which point the differences become very clear. With a 1ZZ you are about to shift, with a 2ZZ, the fun has just begun...

Welcome to SC! Read all the stuff in the library, read all the stickies, and gut your precats! Happy motoring!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tbone: have read your comments on SEVERAL threads now... your sense of humor is really starting to grow on me...

Mateo: ah... ok. And I keep seeing "the library" in the threads but just moved and don't have internet yet sooo I've been doing all of this from my phone... making my search for answers more difficult. Thank you for the info and I will certainly dig through the library (whenever I find it... :/ ). Im thinking enough noob questions from me for now, though...

Seriously, I love this site. Why couldnt I find you three years ago?!

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Your Geometry of the 1ZZ VS 2ZZ is Off..

the 1ZZ is an Econo-Box Motor.. It's entire Reason for Existence is Economy.. Lite Weight.. Easy to Machine.. Long Life.. Great Fuel Economy..

The 1ZZ has a Longer Stroke than the 2ZZ, so it will turn Slower.. and 'Theoretically' have more Torque..

That does not play out in the Real World..

The 1ZZ and 2ZZ have the Same Dyno Curve.. till the 2ZZ Cam Lift pulls in ( 'Bout 6K ).. then the 1ZZ starts falling off, and the 2ZZ jumps Up ( is able to Breath more air.. ) and things get really exciting .. 1ZZ Stops at 6.7 K.. 2ZZ Stops at 8.7 K

Also the 2ZZ has BETTER fuel Economy than the 1ZZ.. and will Live Longer because of the Cylinder Wall Construction.. Has Bigger Rod Bearings..

So the 2ZZ is the Upgrade to the 1ZZ Powerplant.. and that was what the 2ZZ was built for..

The Heads on the 2ZZ Require more Maintenance.. ( if you use Lift ).. and the Engine is a Little Heavier, and taller.. and the Engine is more expensive to make..

That is it in a Nut Shell..

Cap

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Here's a better Nut Shell: You Shouldn't!
Simple as that.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Here's a better Nut Shell: You Shouldn't!
Simple as that.
That about sums it up. $1200-3000 is not going to cut it, try at least 5k if not more so entertaining the idea is out.

navybleweyez don't take this the wrong way but your avatar makes you look like a moron.
I don't want to be mean about it but if you want people to take your seriously just have a picture of you with your car not one the depicts enthusiast wannabe. Maybe it's just me but it seems like you are taking a big dump on the car we love.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Sitting on the car doesn't help either.
One of my friends fat girlfriends thought it would be cute to sit on my front right fender.
In my mind I was saying get off my car you fat bitch but the conversation ended up being polite to say to it was not a good idea because the sheet metal was thin and can be easily dented. It still came off as an insult.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That about sums it up. $1200-3000 is not going to cut it, try at least 5k if not more so entertaining the idea is out.

navybleweyez don't take this the wrong way but your avatar makes you look like a moron.
I don't want to be mean about it but if you want people to take your seriously just have a picture of you with your car not one the depicts enthusiast wannabe. Maybe it's just me but it seems like you are taking a big dump on the car we love.
Thank you for the advice on financials and price range in which I should ACTUALLY be expecting.
As for the picture, it was taken by my grandmother shortly before I deployed. Its the last picture she took too since she died while I was deployed so I'm sorry if it has some sentimental value... don't mean for my enthusiam and love for my car and my family to be metaphorically shitting on your hobby...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your Geometry of the 1ZZ VS 2ZZ is Off..

the 1ZZ is an Econo-Box Motor.. It's entire Reason for Existence is Economy.. Lite Weight.. Easy to Machine.. Long Life.. Great Fuel Economy..

The 1ZZ has a Longer Stroke than the 2ZZ, so it will turn Slower.. and 'Theoretically' have more Torque..

That does not play out in the Real World..

The 1ZZ and 2ZZ have the Same Dyno Curve.. till the 2ZZ Cam Lift pulls in ( 'Bout 6K ).. then the 1ZZ starts falling off, and the 2ZZ jumps Up ( is able to Breath more air.. ) and things get really exciting .. 1ZZ Stops at 6.7 K.. 2ZZ Stops at 8.7 K

Also the 2ZZ has BETTER fuel Economy than the 1ZZ.. and will Live Longer because of the Cylinder Wall Construction.. Has Bigger Rod Bearings..

So the 2ZZ is the Upgrade to the 1ZZ Powerplant.. and that was what the 2ZZ was built for..

The Heads on the 2ZZ Require more Maintenance.. ( if you use Lift ).. and the Engine is a Little Heavier, and taller.. and the Engine is more expensive to make..

That is it in a Nut Shell..

Cap
And thank you cap for being so noob friendly (seen you in many other threads). Obviously I haven't properly done my homework... I've had my baby for three years now and just now have started looking into (and finally having time for) modifying and upgrading her. But thank you for the information and clearing up my ignorance on the issue.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Thank you for the advice on financials and price range in which I should ACTUALLY be expecting.
As for the picture, it was taken by my grandmother shortly before I deployed. Its the last picture she took too since she died while I was deployed so I'm sorry if it has some sentimental value... don't mean for my enthusiam and love for my car and my family to be metaphorically shitting on your hobby...
I like the way you milked that for what it's worth. Makes for a great conversational piece in case someone asks and then the listener will be like "oh it all makes sense now, I get it".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the way you milked that for what it's worth. Makes for a great conversational piece in case someone asks and then the listener will be like "oh it all makes sense now, I get it".
Hey I know y'all are hardcore into all this and have probably seen a million pricks show up just wanting to do a coupla bolt-ons and call it a day. But I do really love my car and want to do what's best for her and learn everything that I can... and I understand my avatar makes me look like a douche but that was a great day the day that pic was taken. But if it'll make everyone happier, I'll put up another one as soon as I can...

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Hey I know y'all are hardcore into all this and have probably seen a million pricks show up just wanting to do a coupla bolt-ons and call it a day. But I do really love my car and want to do what's best for her and learn everything that I can... and I understand my avatar makes me look like a douche but that was a great day the day that pic was taken. But if it'll make everyone happier, I'll put up another one as soon as I can...
Very simple and all it takes is to do a search on this board for all of your quires. The reason why some of us may come off like dicks is for the simply reason that these questions have been asked so many times so to entertain ourselves we pick on the clueless noob.
The search has everything that was discussed but if you do find something that hasn't by all means post.

There are many that ask about swaps, turbos and all kinds of other things and we have a saying that if you have to ask the basics then maybe this is not the best thing for you to do. This is a hobby and it requires a great deal of understanding as well as money. If you don't have both that's ok because the Spyder is a fine car that does not need any of it to be enjoyed. First order of business is to learn how to drive the car stock and then get a good alignment and some tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To dev: I understand. Didn't mean to start an argument or anything... ill confine myself to the library until I end up with a question that it doesn't cover. And while money is a bit of an issue, ill just save until I have the cash. And im trying to expand my understanding. Thank you for the help though. And for still putting up with noobs like me.

To tbone: yeah, but its amusing...

1 - 20 of 71 Posts