MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am formally requesting that we make this a sticky, and only post actual reviews in here. Even if it doesn't get a sticky, hopefully people who could benefit from this will find it via the search function. This thread is only for reviews of those who have added forced induction to their 1zz Spyders.

If you are posting a 1zz w/ FI road test, please describe your set up, and give your estimated, or if possible dyno backed HP.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I currently have a 2003 1zz Spyder with a Haas intercooled turbo kit installed which feeds the engine with up to 6 PSI of boost. All of this was installed prior to my ownership of the car, but I can tell you that all of the supporting breathing mods are done, and it was all professionally dyno tuned. The previous owner included a dyno sheet, and according to that my car put out 220 whp and 192 lb/ft. Suspension wise my car has much of the available bracing, but otherwise stock suspension. It also has stock 03+ wheels with Dunlop max performance tires (slightly oversized in the rear, running 225/50/16).

As many of you know, as you add power to the Spyder you realize just how good this chassis is (it is a shame that Toyota never did it themselves), and this car is no exception. You can also end up with a car with a very different character. This turbo 1zz Spyder almost feels like a completely different car than a stock Spyder, and also my previous 2zz swapped Spyders. The small turbo on this car seems to spool nearly instantaneously, with no noticeable lag. The power delivery is almost seamless, feeling like there is plenty of torque available anywhere above 2,500 rpm. If you are considering upgrading the power on a stock(ish) Spyder and are more of a fan of a car with plenty of torque, that doesn't need to always be in the right gear, and high RPM range to feel fast adding forced induction to your current Spyder is probably the best way to go (unless a 2GRFE is in your budget). As you go through gears 1-3 the only interruption in power is during the shifts, the most amazing part to me is 3rd gear, which feels like barely a drop in power from 2nd gear. I never take my cars to the track, so I have no exact statistics, but I assume that this car can go from 0-60 in the 4.5-5.0 second range. Some people may laugh, but the acceleration of this car feels very similar to the 2007 BMW M Roadster that I previously owned, but maybe even slightly faster. Another notable feature of this car is that if you want to pass a car on the freeway you don't always need to shift gears to do so. You can always choose to, but even in fifth gear, the acceleration is great once you put your foot down and get the turbo spinning, once again torque says hi.

That torque also transforms the car from a handling stand point. On a stock Spyder you just don't always have the needed power to enter corners as quickly as the car can handle them, and certainly not enough power to exit a corner the way this chassis is capable of. The problem now is that the engine can now provide more speed into and out of the corners than the stock suspension can handle, but I think the limit is high enough to still have a ton of fun, or a good coilover set up can raise the handling limit.

I will keep this section short, but fuel economy on this 1zz turbo Spyder has been pretty strong. I have averaged between 24-28 mpg per tank. Often depending on what kind of driving I did. I would consider that to be great for a car with this power to weight ratio.

At first I thought that I would really prefer to go back to a 2zz swapped Spyder, but after recently driving a 2zz swapped Spyder again I realized that the torque that the turbo 1zz provides really adds a dynamic that the 2zz can't match. For my money a well sorted, low boost, quick spooling turbo kit on a 1zz gets a much better return than a 2zz swap, but if you can afford to turbo a 2zz after the swap you will have the best of both worlds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts