MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for background, this is all theoretical and hopefully will come to fruition in the future, but as of right now this is just an idea. Basically I want to make a race spec Mr2 thats lightweight and great aero. It doesn't have to be crazy powerful which is why I'd rather stay away from a v6(although it is possible) but I've decided that it comes down to the 2.3 ecoboost or a k-engine. And theoretically the kswap would be easier due to massive AM support. However, I would like to do something original which is why 2.3 eb is my first choice. (Def willing to do kswap if its cheaper and more logical.) Anyway I'm wondering what you guys think and am I in over my head on this idea. Any ideas on transmissions and any other things that I'm not taking into consideration would be great.

Sorry for how open ended this is, its just my mind running.

· Registered
2,583 Posts
A swap with all the parts available will always be more logical. If you have the time, money, & ability to go for a one off swap then by all means do but more likely than not disassembly would be the last day you drove your car unless you're very talented at fabrication.

Reactions: MrFurzzy and Node

· Registered
01 Spyder
331 Posts
Honestly if you have to ask it is probably betind your ability and/or budget. A kswap, which is relatively straight forward these days, will cost minimum 6k - and that’s doing the work yourself. You might be able to do it cheaper but that’s without touching/refreshing components. A swap without support will easily go well beyond that price and probably balloon to 10k+. And without a lot of experience with electronics etc it may never run quite right.

· Registered
2,033 Posts
So for background, this is all theoretical and hopefully will come to fruition in the future, but as of right now this is just an idea. Basically I want to make a race spec Mr2 thats lightweight and great aero. It doesn't have to be crazy powerful which is why I'd rather stay away from a v6(although it is possible) but I've decided that it comes down to the 2.3 ecoboost or a k-engine. And theoretically the kswap would be easier due to massive AM support. However, I would like to do something original which is why 2.3 eb is my first choice. (Def willing to do kswap if its cheaper and more logical.) Anyway I'm wondering what you guys think and am I in over my head on this idea. Any ideas on transmissions and any other things that I'm not taking into consideration would be great.

Sorry for how open ended this is, its just my mind running.
With a 2zz, K, or 2AR you will not have to design and fabricate the motor mounts, shift linkage conversion, wiring, exhaust system, and ECU. All of these engine/trans combos fit.

· Registered
Weigh, Cut, Weigh, Weld, Glue, Cut, Weigh, Drill
2,456 Posts
If you want to track the car look at reliability and cost. For cost the 2ZZ used to win out. Nowdays... probably an NA K swap. A track build is VERY different from a street build. Consider also what a "race" MR2 would be. It's not a spec Miata. There really isn't a class you would be in. Even in SCCA SOLO you will be classed so highly with a turbo 2.3 that you will be in with NATIONAL competitors. It just wont be competitive in its class.

Now, if you just want to be one of the fastest of the day sure, build the race MR2. Just keep in mind if you ever get the itch to pit yourself against other drivers that's not really going to happen with this chassis.

For a track day car used to embarrass 911's and Ferrari's yeah, it will be great for that. Even an NA K-swap will get you there with the right supporting bits. AND you can go to the junk yard for spares. You will be doing that too. There are people on this forum who track their cars and go through engines more often than clutches.

· Registered
72 Posts
If you want to track the car look at reliability and cost. For cost the 2ZZ used to win out. Nowdays... probably an NA K swap. A track build is VERY different from a street build. Consider also what a "race" MR2 would be. It's not a spec Miata. There really isn't a class you would be in. Even in SCCA SOLO you will be classed so highly with a turbo 2.3 that you will be in with NATIONAL competitors. It just wont be competitive in its class.

Now, if you just want to be one of the fastest of the day sure, build the race MR2. Just keep in mind if you ever get the itch to pit yourself against other drivers that's not really going AND you can go to the junk yard for spares. You will be doing that too. There are people on this forum who track their cars and go through engines more often than clutches.
2AR will be more reliable and cost less than the K swap.

Also I think the 2.3eb would be silly given existing options... but technically Solo has Xtreme Street regional/local classes that have decent turn out. Also hillclimb has Street Unlimited which is extremely competitive and is what I am slowly building my car to. TT allows for engine swaps as well and it keeps you in a reasonable class.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts