MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Already wrote my letter opposing it and asking why this is even being proposed. I want ST rules stability!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I think there is more to it than that, there have been 195 toyo exclusion proposals on the fast track before, which were opposed by the vast majority. This is something different. I don't get the uproar on the 195s, 225 kooks on 9 inch wheels are faster...or at the worst equal. Even if the 195 is illegal, its not upsetting anything except maybe STF in the future. ST* is going great, why mess with it?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I definitely want a year or so of stability in the rules. LOL

It looks like cooler weather this weekend in San Diego Tour, so we will see what the Magic 195 Toyo will do in STR. I agree that the 225 RS-3 on a 9 inch rim is faster than the Toyo given the appropriate temp conditions and surface conditions.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I think there is more to it than that, there have been 195 toyo exclusion proposals on the fast track before, which were opposed by the vast majority. This is something different. I don't get the uproar on the 195s, 225 kooks on 9 inch wheels are faster...or at the worst equal. Even if the 195 is illegal, its not upsetting anything except maybe STF in the future. ST* is going great, why mess with it?
There's more to it, but I think that's the people's uproar. The board is trying to find a safe platform to avoid the DOT-R in Stock Class style downslide.

It still seems like a solution to problem that doesn't exist yet though.

And I agree, on a warm day, the 225 hankook is faster. If anything, I don't believe there truly is a "Magic" tire among the group. Each of the tires is so close that it's hard to say which one would work best on a car. The RS3 loves heat and has a decent set of sidewalls, unlike the XS. The R1R is fast in cooler conditions and is very forgiving of slip angle. Somewhere in the Middle are the RE11, the AD08, and the Z1SS, the latter two being very good on heavier cars in various conditions.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
why get all bent as soon as the tire companies are made aware they will all arbitrarily raise their AAA numbers above 200.

the actual number is meaningless you cannot cross compare different brands they are only useful within a single brand.
That's not what the issue with this rule change is

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How is it not the rules are eliminating the use of certain tires based on an arbitrary number of tread wear that is set company-to-company

When the tire manufactures who want to sell tires see that some of their market is being shut off based on an arbitrary rule they will simply make the tread wear rating of their 180 tire 210 based on additional testing and compound enhancement.

The impasse will be short lived.
Because tire manufactures couldn't give two shits about the SCCA. Bridgestone maybe if they're really bored since they offer contingency. Toyo also offers contingency but they aren't going to base their tread rating based on some amature american sports club. Hankook, Falken, Dunlop, etc all would be stupid to base their tread rating on some stupid rule. These aren't autocross tires and autocrossers are not their main customer base. We are barely a blip on any manufacturer's radar.

The issue is this proposal is an answer to a problem that never existed. It makes all current tires illegal and everyone starts back at square one. More tires, more testing, more tuning, new wheels, lots more money. The ST classes are the largest classes in SOLO 2, especially STR. A lot of people's pockets are going to be hurt by this and they have to run shittier tires on top of it all. There will always be a top dog ST tire. History shows this.

On a side note, what made the spyders, na/nb miatas remotely competitive were the availability of the wide hankooks and toyos (195s). If they are stuck with shitty 205's in STR they are done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts