MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I was looking at google images the other night (probably while waiting for the Bad Romance video to load or something....) anyway, I am sure many of you have seen this, but it was interesting to me!

http://celsmr2.tripod.com/MR2 VS BOXSTER.htm

Reactions: Gunship Runabout

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had never seen this comparison before. My wife will be very happy with these results! She has always thought of the car as a baby Porsche. I on the other hand never thought that...the 2 is a much better car than the Boxster. I now have an actual comparison to show her now. ^_^

·
Registered
218 Posts
Last week was our anniversary and my parents took the kids for the day. We planned on taking the MR-S to Maine so we took two cars to grammy's to drop the kids off. My dad saw me pull in and his first words were, "I hope that's just a rental for the day." :lol: I thought I bought a Porsche. :cool:

In the few weeks I have owned it, I have had at least 3 people mistake it for a Porsche.

Interesting article and it's cool to see a side by side performance comparison.

If someone offered me a new Porsche or a new Spyder, I honestly would take the Spyder. :D

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I saw that comparison along with video back in 2000 when I first learned of the MR2 Spyder. I was considering buying a Miata at the time or some sort of sporty roadster and happened to find out that Toyota started producing the MR2 again in the US. It would be 3 years later before I eventually bought one, but I'm definitely glad I did. B)

You'll notice the comparison is quite weighted in favor of the mr2 with what they actually compare. I would still rather own my car than a Boxster though.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I saw that comparison along with video back in 2000 when I first learned of the MR2 Spyder. I was considering buying a Miata at the time or some sort of sporty roadster and happened to find out that Toyota started producing the MR2 again in the US. It would be 3 years later before I eventually bought one, but I'm definitely glad I did. B)

You'll notice the comparison is quite weighted in favor of the mr2 with what they actually compare. I would still rather own my car than a Boxster though.
Yeah, the article is clearly biased towards the spyder.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The 2000 Porsche Boxster brakes only a tenth of a second quicker from 70 - 0 mph than the 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder.[/FONT]
Sure, only a tenth of a second quicker, but it was nearly 5 feet less than the spyder. That's a lot.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
Kind of funny to compare these two cars as the Boxster is in a higher class. You compare the Spyder with a Miata or MG TF, and the Boxster compares with the S2000 and cars in the $50K range (Z4, TT, SLK 280, etc.).

Having driven both, I can say they are just very different kinds of cars. The Boxster is a lot heavier, more solid, less tossable, and a very important point is that it's not really owner-serviceable. We have a huge advantage in that we can easily wrench on our cars, and repairs and maintenance are much cheaper all around. The Boxster does have a great motor and it delivers long, steady power all the way to redline.

Reactions: Gunship Runabout

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
In the passenger seat dampness test, the Boxster easily bested the lowly Toyota with 4-banger. This non-standard but highly important test involved having a female passenger ride (or merely sit) in each vehicle after looking at the window sticker and front emblems identifying the marque.
What about this test?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Passenger seat dampness--that's funny:) At first I thought abililty to scare the piss out of the passenger... then I figured it out after I read on... then I thought, perhaps it is because I see a lot of old people driving Boxsters in FL... So Passenger Seat Dampness Champion? Depends... "Depends"...:)

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
What about this test?

I don't know.... after a long drive, parked for a while afterward with the windows rolled up on a hot summer day....Fish monger anyone? :(

·
Registered
242 Posts
Boxster is a "poor man's Porsche", Mr2 Spyder is a "poor man's Boxster" ( ughh I probs get jumped for this..... :whistle:)

Anyways, about what? 4 years ago when I was looking for my next car, Top of the list were actually Z3 and Boxster (NB miata is too small for me). Anyways, I drove all, and even though Boxster is definitely more planted and faster in straight line (but you dont really feel it), --- Boxster is not even nearly as toss able as MR2. --- I guess 700lbs weight difference does matter.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
. --- I guess 700lbs weight difference does matter.
At one time, the spyder had a longer wheelbase than the boxster, and that is a real asset for handling. That may no longer be true, since the boxster was stretched at some point.

·
Registered
242 Posts
At one time, the spyder had a longer wheelbase than the boxster, and that is a real asset for handling. That may no longer be true, since the boxster was stretched at some point.
Spyder can be compared to older boxster (gen1), the 2.7 and 3.2 boxster s. Both are actually faster off the line than mr2, but on track it's different story.

To be realistic, I don't know what I have to do to spyder to keep up with friends 718 GT4 Cayman. (Probably a full-on track build), but also to be realistic that car is worth 100k.

boxsters are great cars, but I went with mr2 because of 1) deal I couldn't pass. 2)way way cheaper repairs 3) car feels like a go cart. 4) I knew I was going to mod it eventually, and building up Porsche is toooo expensive

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Wheelbases remained at 95.2 inches for the 986 and 987, they stretched it to 97.4 inches for the 981.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts