MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is another car that popped up ive been interested in but im not sure about why the price is so low.

Looks really nice and im really interested in it. I just see a lot of others trying to sell a car with so little miles for more. He says it was taken to a toyota dealer to have "The engine was rebuilt at a Toyota dealer with .50 over pistons less than 500 miles ago".

Im not sure exactly how to much i can trust that. If it was a toyota dealer he should have a receipt that should relieve me about looking into this car right? or should I still be warry. I do not have too much knowledge in car repair and such so im not sure how to take this.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...TA&searchRadius=100&listingId=323230193&Log=0

This is a link for more info on the car too. Any advice is appreciated guys ^_^

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Tribal knowledge here says that rebuilt engines never seem to last as long as Toyota factory built. Does the dealer offer any warranty on their rebuild? Dealer should have all the repair records available, and tied to the VIN of the car. You could ask the owner to get them reprinted from the dealer.
I bought mine in FL last year w/ 45,000 mi for about the same price.
It looks clean and unmolested, except he has removed the plastic engine "diaper", and changed the radio antenna.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
IMO the price is kinda high.I also find it hard to believe the dealer rebuilt the engine instead of replacing it with a new short block instead.I got my 02 almost 5 years ago for a little over $10,000 with 24,000 miles from the dealer.Check the Blue book price.If you shop around you can find a better car for less.Check the FS section here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive been shopping around for a couple of months now. Most dealers dont have them in. A lot of dealers ive seen that even had one want at least 12k for a car with similar miles. So im not really sure how to take it. I will probably email the guy to see about the warranty (if there is one.)

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
If it had a new motor it may be worth it.I would be worried that this engine died of pre cat failure and the exhaust manifold may be damaged and main cat may still hold the pre cat materiel and the problem may re-occur. If this is the case the exhaust manifold and main cat would need replacing also.Do a search on pre cat death if you are unfamiliar.The problem is mainly with 00-02 .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.