MR2 SpyderChat banner

2001 MR2 SPYDER REPLACEMENT KEYS

4K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Conner Kidwell 
#1 ·
GUYS, i am having a rude/bad/expensive awakening with replacement car keys....... the days of going to home depot to get a replacement car key are gone... i have only one key for my '01 spyder., i called some of the local locksmiths in the area and they tell me a replacement key is approx 150.00-180.00 bucks.... must have a chip in the darn thing.....will need to start sleeping with the key from here on out..... also have a 2000 ford explorer, with only one key, same problem... the key casing is broken , and i can see the chip..... i am having 2 replacements made at my house total cost 220.00...... BOTTOM LINE ; " DONT LOSE YOUR KEYS! " ......................................IT APPEARS THAT LOCKSMITHS DO NOT HAVE BRICK AND MORTAR SHOPS, EVERYTHING IS MOBILE TECHNICIANS.........................................

#2 ·
I bought my Spyder with only one key. Several years ago I misplaced my key, found it again a day later. Wow, just lucky. I did not panic as the Spyder is not my only car, but the next day I located a local Locksmith who special ordered a clone Toyota key, cut it and programmed it for free. It was not cheap. Took about a week. Now I have two Master Keys. I also had them make a copy of the Remote. I use both copies and keep the originals locked away. Yep, good warning.

#3 ·
You can buy key blanks and get them cut and program them yourself. I just ordered a flip out key after reading about it on some other threads on here. ~$40 for the key and $2 to get it cut in town and programmed it myself. I will say the key wasn't perfect haven't gotten it to work in my cubbies or glovebox yet, have been doing some filing on it. It works fine in ignition and doors though.

#4 ·
GUYS, i am having a rude/bad/expensive awakening with replacement car keys....... the days of going to home depot to get a replacement car key are gone... i have only one key for my '01 spyder., i called some of the local locksmiths in the area and they tell me a replacement key is approx 150.00-180.00 bucks.... must have a chip in the darn thing.....will need to start sleeping with the key from here on out..... also have a 2000 ford explorer, with only one key, same problem... the key casing is broken , and i can see the chip..... i am having 2 replacements made at my house total cost 220.00...... BOTTOM LINE ; " DONT LOSE YOUR KEYS! " ......................................IT APPEARS THAT LOCKSMITHS DO NOT HAVE BRICK AND MORTAR SHOPS, EVERYTHING IS MOBILE TECHNICIANS.........................................
My spare key cost me $17 total. The lady at home depot even cut it for free & told me good luck programming it lol.

A working spare can be bought off eBay for <$20. Pay to have it cut, then program it with the key dance. At that price you're crazy not to have a spare key handy.

#5 ·
It is worth it to get a spare, whatever it costs. The chip is the key to the immobilizer. An existing key can be cloned without too much trouble, but no keys at all is a big problem. You either need a new ECU, or you have to get the existing one wiped by someone who knows how to do it.

#7 ·
Here is the “pedal dance” process (below) to program an additional chipped key to your car. You must have a master key for this to work (a valet key will not suffice). Order a key from Amazon or eBay. I paid $12 for two of them. Have the hardware store cut them to match your master key. Then go home and do the pedal dance.
If you only have a valet key, or no keys at all, I can send you the process to clear the immobilizer. After which the ecu will accept any three keys you choose to program. The process is a little more involved but only requires $75 worth of eprom programming bits.

=====
=====

Get in the car and shut the doors
press and release the brake and gas pedal once
insert your master key into the ignition switch
press and release the gas pedal 5 times
press and release the brake pedal 6 times
remove master key
insert new key
press and release the brake and gas pedal once
wait 80 seconds
remove new key
press brake

#16 ·
If you only have a valet key, or no keys at all, I can send you the process to clear the immobilizer.
If you only have a valet key, could you not just clone it?

#8 ·
IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A MASTER KEY:
Making a spare key is cheap and easy. You buy the blank (with transponder chip) on eBay. It is an Ilco brand key. You have any locksmith cut the blank. Then you program the new key to the ECU using either the "PEDAL DANCE" (search for this) or TECHSTREAM (search for this).

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A MASTER KEY:
You have a few options, none so simple.
1. You reflash the immobilizer chip on the ECU motherboard (search for how to do this)
2. You buy an ECU with a paired master key, and then you go back to "IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A MASTER KEY" above.
3. Some people just buy a JDM ECU no immobilizer - but this has its own set of problems.

I have made some videos showing how to program a spare key.

#9 ·
Here is another write up of the “pedal dance” procedure. I have not personally done either one.

To register an additional master key:
· Insert already registered master key into key cylinder
· (within 15 sec) Depress and release the acceleration pedal 5 times.
· (within 20 sec) Depress and release the brake pedal 6 times then remove the master key.
· (within 10 sec) Insert key to be registered as a master key into the key cylinder.
· (within 10 sec) Depress and release the accelerator pedal 1 time (security light blinks).
· Wait 60 seconds and the security light will go off and the new key is now registered.
· Remove key and press and release brake once within 10 seconds of security light going out to end the program mode.
· Program mode will also end 10 seconds after (either the security light going off or removing the key).

#11 ·
Here is another write up of the “pedal dance” procedure. I have not personally done either one.

To register an additional master key:
· Insert already registered master key into key cylinder
· (within 15 sec) Depress and release the acceleration pedal 5 times.
· (within 20 sec) Depress and release the brake pedal 6 times then remove the master key.
· (within 10 sec) Insert key to be registered as a master key into the key cylinder.
· (within 10 sec) Depress and release the accelerator pedal 1 time (security light blinks).
· Wait 60 seconds and the security light will go off and the new key is now registered.
· Remove key and press and release brake once within 10 seconds of security light going out to end the program mode.
· Program mode will also end 10 seconds after (either the security light going off or removing the key).
I believe I used this procedure with the exception of making sure the doors were shut like your first procedure mentions.

#13 ·
With a k-swap and most other swaps you have no immobilizer. You can have an ordinary key (no transponder chip) made by copying the existing key, or for a factory-spec key, use the numeric key code that is embossed on the passenger side lock cylinder (inside the door - yes this requires disassembling the door). No need to program the key to the ECU.

#19 ·
I suppose..but if you only need a valet key then you have a master key & really just want another master key. Biased personal opinion but honestly I don't see the point of a valet key in these cars at all...even new they were only an intro level sports car.

Locksmiths are "supposed" to verify proof of ownership so without the car & with the registration + photo ID they should be able to do it. I thought there was a separate pedal dance to program valet keys as well.

#20 ·
I believe that the valet key is copy protected. The mechanical code can be copied, but the electronic code cannot. That would make sense. The valet key has a mechanical code that does not access the storage areas, but it is the electronic code that prevents someone from stealing the car.

#23 ·
If you have an uncut SW20 key, just see if you can slip it into the Spyder ignition cylinder. If it slides in, then it has the same fluting, and it can be cut to work. If it does not slide in, it will not work. To clarify in case you missed it the first time, you can do this for test with a blank uncut key. Personally, I don't believe it is likely to work, because a lot of things changed going from the nineties to the oughts. This is an opinion, to be verified.

#30 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.