MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 spyder and I was getting a misfire code on cly #2. The coil pack was bad so I replaced it with a new one. Engine sounded fine no miss and the engine light turned off. When I go to drive it after two or three minutes I lose power. Alot of power the car can hardly even move its self back down my driveway. If I let it sit for a while it will start and run good for only couple of minutes then crap. Anyone have a clue because the scanner shows no codes.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Same thing happened to me after replacing a coil pack.
Where did you get the coil pack? If you got it online, such as ebay, they sell replacements that do not sit well over the spark plug (the diameter of the opening at the bottom is too large. I would suggest buying a used but good OEM or a new one from the dealer. Mine did not throw any codes either.

When I changed the coil pack back to OEM, the problem went away.

If you used an OEM coil pack and still have your pre-cats intact, see Old Man's post above.
If you used an OEM coil pack and do not have your pre-cats intact, it remains a mystery.

I have found that when I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out (had a bad injector once) it is worth the $75 to $100 that the dealer will charge you to diagnose the problem. Just don't tell them up front that you are not planning on having them fix it. Once they tell you what is wrong and the price, tell them you will have to budget the money and will make an appointment once you are ready. I have found that if they think you are going to have them fix it, they are pretty honest about what is wrong. At least, that was my experience.

Good Luck

·
Registered
663 Posts
Good of you to answer and try to help this noob bluespyderman, but this post is 2 years old oct 2010.
It would be much more helpfull if these original posters would reply with the solution they found then we could all benefit from problem to cause to repair, but this may just have been a troll trying to start up a precat squable.
By the way if you are out there kickaturban you are using a bit of an offensive screen name.

My bad I mistook join date for the post date "DUH"

So what kind of blues do you like I'm a huge Leadbelly fan.
Just noticed you joined same year as me.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Went and saw the new Spiderman movie recently but he did not dance quite like that.:lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bluespyderman. The coil pack is a Duralast from autozone. I don't know how good those are but it did stop my miss. I was thinking maybe it was the pre cats. I have read in here somewhere that I should take off my exhaust and bust out the pre cats. And that all spyders before 2003 have problems with this. But I am not sure if I should do this. Won't that make me fail smog? Anyway thanks for the info. Sorry to Thunderfrog if my name offends you or anyone else. No harm intended.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Thanks Bluespyderman. The coil pack is a Duralast from autozone. I don't know how good those are but it did stop my miss. I was thinking maybe it was the pre cats. I have read in here somewhere that I should take off my exhaust and bust out the pre cats. And that all spyders before 2003 have problems with this. But I am not sure if I should do this. Won't that make me fail smog? Anyway thanks for the info. Sorry to Thunderfrog if my name offends you or anyone else. No harm intended.
Some early spyders start burning oil (my spyder uses a qt or so at 3k) which can cause the precat to fail. High backpressure can develope at the main cat as it collects the debris with loss of power, then many drivers hear a knock and then check the oil to see none on the dipstick, big problem. Keep a close eye on your oil level until you are sure about consumption. You may pull the O2 sensor at the precat to see the condition. You may have more to do.

·
Registered
663 Posts
2001's were known for precat problems.I would remove the sensor and check them with a flashlight.If they are still there be prepared soon to remove the header and get them out ,it's much cheaper than an engine.IMHO I'm not sure this is your fault at this time as I've not read any posts of precat failure where the car has moments of running fine.Keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are right about the oil burning issue. Here lately every time I check my oil it's at least a quart low. The engine does have a hundred and fifty thousand miles. I didn't think that was enough to say time for rebuild. But maybe for these engines it is. And I took out oxy sensor. Looks like cats are still in there. Hard to see right now. I will check better when its daylight. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
At least a qt low when you check then you are not keeping a good eye on it. Low/no oil kills. You might consider a used short block as the MR2 uses a head with larger valves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I checked the pre cats. The one on the left is not even there. I guess it is down in the main cat now. The one on the right is all broken and just in peices. I am now taking off the header and exhaust to see if I can get that stuff out of there. It sure would be nice if every bolt didn't snap off when I try and take them out. And yes I soaked them first with nuts off. Exhaust bolts:mad:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If the one precat is gone and the other is crumbling, the damage is already done. Start saving for a new engine. Gutting the precats now won't save the engine. You need a new main cat as well as a new engine. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's how it goes with the precats when they deteriorate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why do you say the damage has already been done. I did gut the pre cats. Then cleared out the main cat of all the crap from the pre cats. Put it all back and it runs fine. It runs better than it did when I thought it was running good. What is it that happens to the engine when the pre cats fail? Just curious.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.