MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post here (and an intro of sorts). Bought the car about 2 weeks ago. After reading the posts on this site took a look at the header and yes, it's stock and the pre-cats are still there. The bolts and parts of the exhaust system are heavily corroded, so I'm thinking about doing a forklift upgrade of the whole exhaust system. That is from header to the tip of the exhaust pipe (cats included). Can someone recommend a decent system, and place to order from all the necessary parts for this job ? Something in the mid-price range as I am NOT looking for top racing performance, nor do I want something that will corrode through after the first year. (OEM parts would of been fine if they weren't so expensive). Thank you ahead of time and thanks to all who contributed to this great forum (learned a lot about the car from reading this forum for past couple weeks).

·
Registered
764 Posts
you've given some vague details. I cannot picture the OEM parts 'corroded' to the point of needing to be replaced. but if thats the case, this is what i'd do.

buy an OEM header. with the pre-cats removed. should be 20-40 dollars. maybe even free. an aftermarket header (like Che) will have no performance benefit, and would also be less reliable. but the Che header would be your best aftermarket option.

same with the downpipe. go with used OEM if yours really needs replacement. or an aftermarket with a high-flow cat. Che or PPE make quality aftermarket pieces. keep in mind that may or may not give you smog issues.

as for cat-back exhaust... keep in mind these cars sit at ~4k rpm on the freeway. (loud!!) this is the reason why I havent gone with aftermarket exhaust. but in my opinion the Team Moon Dual exhaust sounds amazing.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
A few days of PB blaster or similiar on all the nuts may help. A torch is handy if you know what you are doing. PPE has all that you are looking for one stop. I just installed a ZeroExhaust header and am very pleased. None of these are cheap.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seantc, thanks for recommendations. Aside from E-Bay, where else should I look for used mr2 spyder parts (header and other stuff) ?

carlbecker, Yep .. got a few can of PB at the ready. I know I'll need it.

geospyder87, what is "monkey wrench" (got a link) ? and yep, will post the pics of the work once I have the parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.