MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently just installed 2002 MR2 Spyder Headlights on my 03 Spyder, and i noticed immediately that theres a wiring issue. Basically when i turn my lights on, only my high beams turn on automatically instead of my regular beams. Is there anything i can buy or do that can fix the issue?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The wiring is completely different. Look at it, and you will see that the low beam has a separate connector in the 03 configuration.

One thing that you would need to do if you want to go ahead with this is install a relay that will cut out the low beam when the high beam is on. The 03 configuration operates both at once, but the 02 unit will not handle the heat with both on. I can't see why you would want to do this in the first place. The compound headlights was one of the 03 changes that was actually an improvement.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The wiring is completely different. Look at it, and you will see that the low beam has a separate connector in the 03 configuration.

One thing that you would need to do if you want to go ahead with this is install a relay that will cut out the low beam when the high beam is on. The 03 configuration operates both at once, but the 02 unit will not handle the heat with both on. I can't see why you would want to do this in the first place. The compound headlights was one of the 03 changes that was actually an improvement.
The '02 headlights are cheaper so that could be a reason.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think (hope?) ignorance of the facelift changes is the underlying reason. To the OP...why did you buy new headlights? Were they damaged or just faded?

·
Registered
277 Posts
they were damaged and water would get inside of them when it will rain
Look up how to bake the lenses off the headlights, get the correct sealant...and swap the lenses & reseal them on your original headlight housing. All problems solved.....no water leaking inside , fresh non-yellowed lenses, and the wiring will once again be correct without ridiculous work arounds

Reactions: TimTheViking

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Im using a HID Kit as well, would I still have to install a relay or would the process of having them work change?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Im using a HID Kit as well, would I still have to install a relay or would the process of having them work change?
HID kit won’t change anything, HIDs won’t work for the high beam bulb due to it’s use as a DRL, so only in the low beams. They use different bulbs...is your HID kit for the 02 headlight bulb or 03 bulb?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HID kit won’t change anything, HIDs won’t work for the high beam bulb due to it’s use as a DRL, so only in the low beams. They use different bulbs...is your HID kit for the 02 headlight bulb or 03 bulb?
the HID kit i got is for the 02 headlights not the 03. Thats why im trying to find out an alternate way to make them work properly

·
Registered
277 Posts
It will NEVER work properly. The wiring issues aside, which is a big issue in itself.... HID bulbs in reflector housings will blind anything and everything in front of you. Even the low beams will be much worse than driving with halogen high beams on. You should return the HID kit, get one for the 03 headlights (which wont blind other drivers AND have significantly better usable light output). Then bake the headlights and redo the sealant to keep moisture out.

What you are trying to do is like getting a flat tire & converting to tracks instead of just buying another tire and keeping it moving. Not that it can't be done...it just doesn't make sense

·
Registered
646 Posts

I prefer the early headlights over the facelift ones. I have a 2001 and a 2004 and I don't like the ones on the 04. They're to techie for me. I would change the 04's lights to the early ones if the wiring wasn't such an impossability.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
It's really not impossible, actually quite easy. You just need to 1. Adapt the wiring with a set of relays to emulate H4 behavior, and 2. Disable DRLs. I think I have a wiring diagram for #1 somewhere.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's really not impossible, actually quite easy. You just need to 1. Adapt the wiring with a set of relays to emulate H4 behavior, and 2. Disable DRLs. I think I have a wiring diagram for #1 somewhere.
Personally, I'd never disable the DRLs. I really want to be seen by everyone. DRLs help with visibility and if it just once keeps an 18-wheeler from moving over on me on the interstate, they are totally worth it. Some paint colors (like silver, white and even black) depending on the time of day can really blend into the background and make the MR2 really hard to see.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Does anyone sell just the outer plastic lens for 2003's? I have yellowing really bad.
No, this is why most people will buy the 00-02 headlights new (because they are cheaper) and then bake the lenses off and swap them onto their 03+ housings

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Personally, I'd never disable the DRLs. I really want to be seen by everyone. DRLs help with visibility and if it just once keeps an 18-wheeler from moving over on me on the interstate, they are totally worth it. Some paint colors (like silver, white and even black) depending on the time of day can really blend into the background and make the MR2 really hard to see.
Yes but if you're swapping from 03 to 00-02 headlights, then your DRLs become useless. You lose the proper optics your wiring was designed for. So you kinda have to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts