MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 mr2 spyder>>6spd Lotus Elise 2zz turbo swap>> 350hp3 days ago ... This is the real deal.. 2002 MR2 SPYDER WITH THE AMAZING LOTUS ELISE
2zz engine swap... 6 speed manual tranny... Turbo and dynoed ...

losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/2942591281.html

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2002 mr2 spyder>>6spd Lotus Elise 2zz turbo swap>>

not mine. craiglist ad. must be a lot of fun!!!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Hmm, $17k for a 100k mi chassis with what is a 2zz upgrade and a turbo, added nearly 30k miles ago.

let's see...100k mile car with no engine, $3,500. 2zz $2,500. 6 spd don't know maybe $1,500. A brand spankin new turbo kit with tuning 4k+1k = $5k. now add a premium because it has a plastic Lotus badge on it $___k. And a premium because it MIGHT be a nice Cali car instead of a midwest rust bucket $1.5k. I count $14k and granted my numbers might be low for some things and high for others. Now take off $__k for the wear and tear of the engine and turbo.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Hmm, $17k for a 100k mi chassis with what is a 2zz upgrade and a turbo, added nearly 30k miles ago.

let's see...100k mile car with no engine, $3,500. 2zz $2,500. 6 spd don't know maybe $1,500. A brand spankin new turbo kit with tuning 4k+1k = $5k. now add a premium because it has a plastic Lotus badge on it $___k. And a premium because it MIGHT be a nice Cali car instead of a midwest rust bucket $1.5k. I count $14k and granted my numbers might be low for some things and high for others. Now take off $__k for the wear and tear of the engine and turbo.
I wish it was as easy as just adding prices. If you count labor and all the small parts needed to make the car run right and be reliable then $17K is cheap. That's why 2zz turbo spyder are so rare. I have only seen 4 in that last 5 years.

Most $3K spyders need a couple of grand just to make them look presentable before you can even start to fix the mechanical.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I agree. Labor, small parts, and tuning of a turbo car are black holes of money and need to be factored in but that is hard to do. A well executed one is a great find. I took exception to the whole Lotus mystique inference.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sadly anybody who has ever built a car knows the reality of never getting back what you put into it when it comes time to sell your project car.

The only exception to that for me was my old GTI-R and I sold it two years after I bought it for more then I paid for it. It needed nothing when I got it and never required anything of me. I miss that car.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sadly anybody who has ever built a car knows the reality of never getting back what you put into it when it comes time to sell your project car.

The only exception to that for me was my old GTI-R and I sold it two years after I bought it for more then I paid for it. It needed nothing when I got it and never required anything of me. I miss that car.
i agree, in regards to this thread

i think it will probably sell at $17k, however, i personally do not think its worth that, nor would i pay that much for it.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
I don't think it will sell for $17k . Highly modified spyders have never seem to fetch high $$.

·
Registered
731 Posts
i think it will probably sell at $17k
Probably, especially being in So Cal. Seems like things go for ridiculous amounts here quite often because of the buyer not doing their homework and/or the seller not being up front (not all the time, just a lot).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts