MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everyone,

I have followed this forum for several years and the information/contributions have been valuable. This is my first time to initiate a question. I need to replace the serpentine belt. I have the tools and access to the area seems straightforward however I welcome any suggestions or alerts from anyone who has completed the process.

Also, I call the local dealer, they will need to order the part and the cost is $61.00 (then claim they can get it within a day or two. Cost seems high.

After researching it further, below is what I found:

Toyota Part No.: 90916-02549
SERPENTINE BELT
Part Description
Belt, V (For Fan & Alternator)
Comment
(FOR FAN & ALTERNATOR) Replaced By 99366-J1690

appears either part may work with 90916-02549 being replaced by 99366-J1690. Anyone have a different experience or information to share? According to several local dealers, they are confirming 99366-J1690 is the current part to order.

Thanks in advance to all who can provide their insight!

Dale

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good news, just found the part with local dealer.... substantially lower cost if you place order online. Still looking for any feedback/suggestions concerning the process to complete the replacement. Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Its easy peasy. Gates is a top shelf aftermarket belt brand. Should be cheaper than oem if its your kinda thing. All you need is a braker bar and a socket. If you want, put a cheater on the bar. You push towards the front of the car to release tension.

Only thing, make sure you look at and feel the belt routing before you remove it. Also, to make it easy for you, the last pulley you want to go around is the one that moves when you push the tensioner. Nothing needes to be removed for access. Should take like 10 min unless the stud you put your socket on is rounded.

I did it in the autoparts store parking lot. Took the belt off, walked in, verified correct size for new one using the old, and put the new on.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
The replacement is real easy! Just need the right size socket and ratchet, or a long wrench if you prefer. Put tool on the tensioner, pull back, and slip belt off one pulley. Let go. Remove belt and route new belt the correct way, making sure it's near the last pulley you need to pull it over. Pull back on the tensioner again and slip belt over last pulley. Done! No tension adjustment needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts