MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an '02 MR2 Spider (today) that runs and shifts very smooth. The transmission light comes on and goes off randomly. So, as I am driving it home, I go through a series of traffic lights with no issues. Then about the 4th red light, when the light turns green, I step on the gas and the car does not move. I look at the dash and the neutral light is flashing even though I had not touched the shifter. With cars honking behind me, I turn on the flashers and gently shift to neutral and reverse and the car will not move. I shift into drive and still - no go. The whole time the neutral light is flashing - (- it thinks it's in neutral ! Finally, I put the car in neutral and shut the ignition off. Then I started the car, shifted to "1" and the dash lights react normally and I drive off. The car ran smoothly for another 7 miles home and I noticed that on the remaining stops I would have to manually downshift. Oh yeah and the transmission light stays on the whole way. Once I was safely in the garage, I shifted to reverse and drive multiple times and everything functions smoothly without any weird noises or issues. Any ideas???

More information from the previous owner (who kept meticulous records) is that he had recently had a used hydraulic pump assembly installed at a local transmission shop. He had this done because when the transmission light first came on - he went to his local Toyota dealership. They charged him $129 to let him know that he needed a new transmission at a cost of $4900+. He had to call everywhere to find anyone who would look at his SMT. I have talked with the mechanic and he said it could be any number of issues. I will take it to him to see if he can figure it out but, thought I would see if I could get an edgemucation on MR2CO.

Thanks! for reading my long story!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Welcome to the magic of SMT world. I wouldn’t hold much hope that your mechanic will have the patience to decipher or fix the system. If you’re inclined, you’ll likely do much better (and cheaper) fixing it yourself. First step is best to get a copy of the (stolen) factory software called “Techstream”. Chinese hackers stole it long ago. You can buy it currently on amazon for about $30. It will allow you to read all the SMT system codes, plus run reset routines, and see lots of diagnostic/status info on the system.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Flashing neutral light indicates the system detects a mismatch between the gear you requested, and the gear that is engaged. Red “gear symbol” warning light is a general warning light from the SMT system. Techstream software is needed to read the codes properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flashing neutral light indicates the system detects a mismatch between the gear you requested, and the gear that is engaged. Red “gear symbol” warning light is a general warning light from the SMT system. Techstream software is needed to read the codes properly.
Thanks! I ordered a copy and will see how I do! I will also have the car looked at by the mechanic to see how he disgnosis it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
That’s why the previous owner sold it. See this quite a lot. It’s a shame people don’t disclosed the issue but nobody wants to buy a broken car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks! I ordered a copy and will see how I do! I will also have the car looked at by the mechanic to see how he disgnosis it.
Welp! I purchased Techstream got it installed on my laptop but, the connection from the PC's USB to the OBD2 fails and I can't run any scans. It appears that it is a bad cable. The cable's indicator light show green for a couple seconds but, changes to red during the connect process! I went to a local auto parts store and had them run diagnosis just to check the OBD2 on the car and it worked fine. There is no check engine light so no codes were picked up - that was expected.. Now I will contact the Amazon seller to see if they can send me a new cable. Oh yeah and I connected to another car just to see if the cable indicator would remain green and it wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Common problem. I think it might have something to do with the cable. Some are 32 bit and some 64 bit. I finally gave up and had my son-in-law do it. The first one i had, i was able to figure out using windows xp. Things have changed; now using windows 10.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got my 64-bit, Windows 10 laptop and Techstream to connect to my 2002 MR2!! Now on to the next issue! After running the relearn process, somehow the car now thinks it's in 5th gear as that's what is displayed on the dash - while it really is in Neutral and was in Neutral during the entire test until you are instructed to put it in 'S1'! And so now the car will not start!!! Sheesh!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You should have some code(s).
It won’t start because it’s in fail-safe mode, probably a fuel cut. Might be the shift stroke sensor or one of the other GSA sensors. While you’re in Techstream, next to the code, will sometimes be a little blue cloud. Click on that to get freeze frame data. Do that before disconnecting the battery cable or you’ll lose any stored data.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
There were no codes or clouds :(. Before I disconnect the battery, I wanted to attach this screenshot from Techstream and get your thoughts. Also, I can run "Health Check" and it appears to run though all steps but no codes are displayed. The error you see only happens when I try to click on the "right arrow' on the bottom right of the screen.

TIS Error.PNG

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Something’s not right. I think it should be showing “sequential M/T live” at the top next to “stored data”. Try putting your VIN number in, where it says “input vin”. The pop up must be indicating a problem; pretty sure the arrow at the bottom should be green and take you to another page. I would spend more time becoming familiar with Techstream before disconnecting the battery. Try clicking on different things; that’s how I learned how to navigate through it. I haven’t had mine out in a while and don’t remember everything.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yeah, every bit of information helps. I look at three things: code(s), symptoms, and cycle times (run times).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So after replacing a bad battery, the car displayed that it was in 'Neutral' and started right up. The transmission light was off. I shut the car off and plugged in the OBD2 and ran a health check with Techstream. No codes were displayed at all. I then took the car for a drive and it ran awesome however, the transmission light came back on within 3 miles but, ran great. It down shifted on it's own and never got confused meaning it did not exhibit the original issue of being in '1' and the Neutral light just starts flashing 'N' for neutral. I drove it home and attempted to run the 'relearn' process and it could not complete the process because of a connection issue. It connects to the vehicle but, is it supposed to recognize the car? I have to enter all of the information for this car into Techstream every time? Another question is should the 'check cable' functionality be expected to diagnose the cable with 'all green' results on every pin?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Techstream remembers my car whenever it’s connected. Not sure about your other questions.
Have you replaced the smt fluid and filled to the correct level? I’m suspicious of the hydraulic pressure being generated. Cycle times (run times) can help determine if that’s an issue. Also, see if excessive shifting in short time periods, brings on the gear light. Then see if the gear light goes away when reducing shifting maneuvers or stop shifting all together to allow the pump to build pressure again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts