MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, Been almost a year since my last post. So here is a recap and update. My 02 SMT trans fail 10 years ago and I had no choice at the time but to stash it in a barn. 1 year ago I joined this forum asking if fixing the trans was viable or worth it and with some excellent advice and help from members I decided to try and fix it. Fast forward 1 year. Last Sunday I went to the barn and hooked up a Bobcat to the car and yanked it out and onto the trailer. I got it home and put in a new battery and checked the oil. I clicked the key and the car powered up. I wanted to see how much gas or varnish was in the tank. Gas gauge didn’t move. So I shoved a hose down into the tank and tried to syphon anything that was left in there and it was bone dry. I added 5 gallons new gas and some seafoam gas treatment. I pulled off the air box cover and cleaned out the critter crust that was just PACKED in below the filter and replaced the air cleaner. I checked to make sure nothing was in the intake and all was clear. I get in and got to crank it over and on first attempt something was really wrong! After further inspection I find everything on the serpentine belt is rusted solid! So I cut the belt and remove it. With the accessories disconnected I can crank it freely. I shot a few ounces of gas down the intake and I crank crank crank POW she fired up! She sputtered for a while and smoked like a beast for a minute or two. I shut it down and re connected the air box and airflow sensor. I checked all the electrical on the car and everything works except the radio. I was in fear the car would be eaten in side out from mice but there was ZERO evidence of any critter inside at all. I even found a fortune cookie under the seat 100% in tact and I figure that would be a delicacy for a mouse! Anyways with very little effort the car purrs like a kitten! Now Im back to figuring out the trans. A year ago after discussions on this forum I purchased all the parts off a working 2002 SMT from member Midship Madness. So I guess I need advice. I was hoping it was just the GSA but after powering up the car I noticed I did NOT heat the HPU turn on when I opened the door. I know at some point im going to need Techstream software. But any advice will be taken on what my first step should be. So far my only experience with SMT is driving one and breaking one. Eventually I will do a manual swap but for right now I need to get the car moving under its own power. ALL help is greatly appreciated in advance! Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. The first thing I checked was the door switch thinking the rubber boot may have hardened in the closed position as the rubber did in my 63 Cadillac after 30+ years in a garage all closed up. But in the MR2s case the switches work fine. the dome light goes on and off accordingly when depressed. I have not got to the fuses as the when I get home its dark and FREEZING back here in Wisconsin. I will check them in the morning, Is the HPU fuse in the rear or front bulkhead? Ill check the manual for the location. and report my findings. Thanks again for the post....stay tuned!

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I’m guessing in the drivers door panel, but I’m not sure. I know the HPU relay is inside the engine compartment on the firewall, adjacent to the GSA.
I’d you need I can photograph some pages from the book.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually it wasn't bird crap it was paint chips from the ceiling of the barn. When the barn was on fire a few years back the pressure of the firehoses pressure washes off the pant and it settled down to the car. ALSO I did check the HPU fuse and it is good. So for another reason it is not powering up. Is there another fuse I can check
IMG_1614.jpg
IMG_1628.jpg
IMG_1629.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts