MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the situation:

2002 w/ 5sp SMT

My Spyder cranks ok when it's cold (engine cold, 90 degree weather), I'll drive it 30-45 minutes, everything runs fine, no dimming lights, everything works great. Then, I'll park it and turn it off. If I come back within about 10 minutes, here's what happens:

I open the driver door... no hydraulic pump noise
I insert the key and try to crank it... It doesn't turn over. Lights come on, SMT light comes on.

I go away and wait for about 20-30 minutes, and when I open the driver's door, I hear the hydraulic pump run. Put the key in, and it cranks right up like there's nothing wrong at all.

The above situation is 100% repeatable provided the same conditions are given.

I'm thinking Battery or some relay or control module. I plan to do a volt meter test tonight to confirm battery. Any other known-problems that it may be? I searched the forums but didn't find anything easily/cheaply testable other than the battery. I figure maybe the battery isn't able to supply enough current when it's hot.

Am I on the right path?:huh:

As background information, I had the known-error with the transmission ECU and replaced the ECU to solve the problems w/ it not engaging the clutch. It fixed the problems then. Since it's a new ECU, I wouldn't expect it to be anything wrong with that. That experience did leave me with a bad taste for my local dealership though. They didn't know what an SMT was before they fixed mine. The tech thought it was a shiftable automatic. So, I'd prefer to avoid the dealership at all costs.

·
Registered
654 Posts
thats funny ,my wife drove mine to a Toyota dealership one time and half of the sales people there was asking her what kind of car she was driving

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More information...

New battery. Almost the same thing. It now cranks but soon dies with the SMT warning light lit.

I also hooked up the computer and saw that it's throwing codes:

P1646 & P1647 :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Transmission ECU was swapped. Still no luck.

Now the dealer is wanting to pull the actuator and try to shift manually. Could the actuator or transmission cause the accumulator not to cycle when the driver side door is opened? This sounds bogus to me.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I just did a Search for p1646,p1647.. Did not find Toyota Codes for that.. But Volkswagen is Can Bus Related Problems..

This would make sense, as the Can Bus talkes to the Various ECU's..

At this point ( If 'We' can Confirm Can Bus Problems ) Your Fubard!!..

Maby try PMing the Boys in the SMT forrum that are trying to do the Can Bus Work, to put in the 2ZZ!.. They will have a Better clue than me on this problem..

The Can Bus is like the E-Net for the Car.. and the SMT's need it to function !!..

See if you can Find the 'Proper' read on the Codes.. Get what they REALLY mean, and start from there..

Good Luck

Cap

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found these mentioned on this site, and on TIS.

RELATED DTC
Previous code:
Related DTCs P1647 No communication between ECM and transmission ECU
Extended code:
Related DTCs P1646 No communication between ECM and transmission ECU

I've narrowed it down (in my opinion). They've replaced the transmission ECU, and are still having the same symptoms. That leads me to believe that it's one of the following:

Connector problem (short or open),
Something's causing interference on the CAN bus.
The replacement ECU is bad (perhaps a faulty batch)
The ECM is bad.

It may be something as simple as a relay or intermittent problem with the driver's door switch.

I'm somewhat familiar with CAN networks from playing with microcontrollers as a hobby. What strikes me as odd, is that the only use of CAN is between the transmission ECU and the ECM. Only the SMT to ECM (as far as I've seen in my review of the wiring diagrams). It's almost as if the SMT was an afterthought, and they pulled in a somewhat complete unit from another vehicle into the design.

This only seems to happen once the car is warmed up. I'm going to ask the tech to do a cold test and selectively heat (with a heat-gun or hair dryer) the transmission ECU, then the ECM.

Conditions: (only when the vehicle has been warmed up and the ignition turned off)
Symptoms:
Accumulator motor doesn't run when the driver's door is opened.
Car either will not crank, or it will crank, and will shut down within 5 seconds with an SMT warning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They replaced the Transmission ECU (like they told me that they did last week) and it fixed it. Turns out that they replaced the ECM last week without authorization from me, and it didn't fix it (no surprise there).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts