MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello members. I’m new to the forum and need some advice. I have a 2002 with SMT with 90,000 miles. One day I was leaving work and sitting at the stoplight.....light turns green....I go to accelerate and the car won’t go in gear. Trailered it to a shop they say they have no experience with SMT but their scanners say “clutch position sensor “ or “shift solenoid”. Car has been in a barn for 8 years now. Is it worth salvaging or a lost cause? I have the time to work on it now and just want to get memeners opinions if it’s worth the effort. I’d consider a motor trans swap because I live the car. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
First I'll say I'd be interested in buying it since your somewhat close .I have several broke smt cars and if it's not worth fixing I could always use the parts .

Without seeing pics and just knowing what you reported the car up and running and shifting it's maybe worth 2-3k and that depends on a lot of stuff .

The sensor you speak of is about $150 , usually it's not that easy . A used GSA will be 2-300 and about the same for a used HPU ... probably have to source from the UK.

There are a couple guys that are pretty good with helping on smt's here on spyderchat , hopefully they'll chime in .

The smt swap to manual is a ton of work , that's the biggest reason I haven't done one yet . Also it's not cheap , probably 1-3k depending on where you source your parts .

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello members. I’m new to the forum and need some advice. I have a 2002 with SMT with 90,000 miles. One day I was leaving work and sitting at the stoplight.....light turns green....I go to accelerate and the car won’t go in gear. Trailered it to a shop they say they have no experience with SMT but their scanners say “clutch position sensor “ or “shift solenoid”. Car has been in a barn for 8 years now. Is it worth salvaging or a lost cause? I have the time to work on it now and just want to get memeners opinions if it’s worth the effort. I’d consider a motor trans swap because I live the car. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sounds like you have a nice car if you are willing to dump $$ into it. You likely want to get rid of the SMT.

A solid 1ZZFED (maybe your engine is good? If not I’d recommend a 2005+ 1ZZFED from a Celica or Mr2) with MT 5spd. LST traction is nice in a light little car especially in snow country. This combo would/is be plenty fast and good enough for me. Fun economic ride without the temptation to go completely nuts.

If you really want to loose your drivers license quickly. Then you might want to explore a 2ZZ swap with a MT 6sp LST done by the experts. Especially if you like shifting a lot.

Wisconsin? Check out these guys:

monkeywrenchracing.com

If you like to trailer things have the essential time and money. I’m sure they they can fix you right up.

Good Luck. You have something special.

By the way. What color is it?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
After 8 years, you probably have more problems than just the original one, and that will complicate troubleshooting. It is also difficult to find someone who knows how to fix the SMT, so you may need to become the expert yourself. The dealer mechanics generally know nothing about it, since it is a complex, one-off system. They have the manual to work from, but most likely they will offer to replace the system and see what happens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response guys...I am a member of a 63-64 Cadillac club but have never really needed to post there so this is new to me. Anyways yes I realize there more than likely will be more problems than what went in the barn. Its amazing how the years flew past. I had every intention of getting to it sooner but "out of sight out of mind" prevails. The car is/was in perfect shape triple black, brand new tires, battery and ran perfectly when put in the barn. I do realize Im probably taking on a huge project but Id like to try and get the car moving with the SMT for now. If it isnt too much trouble can someone post the name and part # for the "Sensor"? And GSA??? Im really mechanically inclined but not with acronyms I'll assume ???Shift Actuator or something along that line?? And just for the record I get my licences back Jan 2nd! LOL........thats not a joke.

Christian

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and to clarify....Car runs, when the door is opened the pump for the trans can be heard and sounded "Normal". Not sure if that would eliminate the GSA???? or HPU???? out of the equation. Again I dont want to be a PITA LOL but its been 3 years since I even saw the car. I went over to look at it back in July 2015 when the barn caught on fire!!!! Lucky for me the volunteer Hillbilly Fire department was on it a put the fire out before it spread to the end my car was in. Car looked untouched!

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
If the pump runs for 30 sec and shuts off, chances are the Hydraulic Pump Assy is fine (HPU). The Gear Selector Assy is the other big part (GSA). It’s easiest to swap it out (rather than try to repair) if you can find a good used one. Send me your email address and I can attach a pdf file I compiled to show how to remove the GSA. PDF file has lots of explanation and photos.

Swapping out the GSA will also require some computer work. You’d need to buy a copy of “tech stream” software off amazon. It’s all stolen Chinese software. But it’s cheap - like $30 for a cable and disc. After replacing the GSA you have to run the software to reset all the sensors and get them talking to the computers.

If you have the time - this fix option can be the cheapest. Probably $250 for a used GSA plus $30 software. All the sleepless nights, vexing troubleshooting steps, and “help” from this forum are free!

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
If its the clutch stroke sensor you can verify its not broken. You can probably just swap it and make sure its sitting in the right location. Some sensors go bad after a while.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have learned more today about the car than I have since 2001 when I ordered it!. I"m really sure the HPU works..........or worked at the time of BARNING. Guess the GSA could be faulty seeing as everything seemed 100% normal other than the Trans wouldn't go into gear as if it wasn't being shifted. I wish we didnt have 1 foot of snow on the ground right now I'd go pull it out and get in my shop! As far as parts go....are there resources for them? Toyota only? Are there any aftermarket or re-pops out there? Should I assume pulling the trans/motor is mandatory? All I ever had to do to the car was change oil and replace tires and exhaust gaskets. From what I remember it was like a high tech go cart under there. Id like to get a visual of all this as you guys are giving me info......thanks again for taking your time to help me. Id like to post my email address here but I guess I need to make a few more posts to the forum before I'm allowed. lets try this.....cpp1972"at"yahoo.com obviously the at symbol has to be used...........trying to slip thru the system here! LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dang! I just posted to this thread and it says it has to be reviewed by the moderator until I get more posts under my belt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
let me try this again I think my e mail address is what flagged my post as "NOT ALLOWED" Tritz and cyclehead thanks for your patience and help. Im cool with doing any work needed to get this up and running again. As far as replacement parts.........am I stuck with DEALER ONLY PARTS or are they not even available? Are there re-pops of parts out there or am I stuck trying to find USED parts? I wish there wasnt a foot of snow on the ground Id go drag that thing out of the barn tonight and into my shop. I never really had to work on it so all I remember is it being like a high tech GO-CART. LOL Once Im allowed to post my email address I will.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
You've bought an SMT, it's having problems, and you can't fix it.
May God Have Mercy On Your Soul, or your wallet, as the case may be.
SMTs are notoriously expensive to fix. Very few mechanics (aka "technicians") know anything about the SMT.

The SMT was essentially a failed experiment, at least in the USA.
Australia mandated that all Spyders had to be SMT.
Consult an Australian MR2 site.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You've bought an SMT, it's having problems, and you can't fix it.
May God Have Mercy On Your Soul, or your wallet, as the case may be.
SMTs are notoriously expensive to fix. Very few mechanics (aka "technicians") know anything about the SMT.

The SMT was essentially a failed experiment, at least in the USA.
Australia mandated that all Spyders had to be SMT.
Consult an Australian MR2 site.
That’s why I’d go here:
https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/tech-mr2-s-smt-mt-swap/

$$$$ + time can fix anything

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That’s one informative post! Great detail. I have reached out to MWR and with their input I have a couple of options to think about. First thing I need to do is get the car into my shop (if Mother Nature can melt some snow). With my 1 day SMT and spyderchat training I can take a look at some of the obvious. Something I should have done 8 years ago but I had no place to work on a car at the time. I think if I can get the car operational by putting a few parts on it that’s what I’ll do. Once operational I will seriously consider the swap to manual using the kit from MWR. Believe it or not there are 3 other spyders within 2 miles of my home and only 1 is being used. So possibly I can buy one if they are manual trans. We will see how it plays out.

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
SMT = Spend Many Thousands. At least you have some excellent advice here and knowledgeable folks. Good luck with your fix. As far as the Caddys go do you happen to know a guy named Bob Walton?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As for Spend Many Thousands.........Seems like the story of my life! LOL Bob Walton? Cant say I do, but then maybe I do and don't remember! Is he from this area?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts