MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well I went over to the Barn today and this is what I found! I was surprised to see the car in much better shape that what I had thought after so long! It is a trophy shelf of Pigeon Poop but because halt the roof of the barn burned off 3 years ago the seems to have been a steady poop rinsing over the years. I wasn't able to open the doors or pop the engine cover to see what time has done> Im planning on going back over there tomorrow (with the keys this time) and OPEN THE CRYPT and see whats inside. The windows are tinted Double jet black and I got there late so lighting wasn't the best. But From what I could see through the windshield I was really happy. My coffee cup from 2012 was still intact in the drink holder so that a good sign! LOL Anyways Ill post more of my findings after I explore it more tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
My wife says “wear a mask!”. COPD is not fun.
Around here unhealthy people may get Hunta, however you spell mouse poop, dissease from dropping and die. I don’t worry too much about it.

The recommendation from public health is to get a pump sprayer and soak the stuff with a strong (50/50) solution of chlorine bleach before distributing it and raising any dust.

A respirator that works is a good idea for sure but soaking the stuff in bleach is suppose to both hold down the dust and kill the bacteria so as you can likely live long and prosper even if you done wear a full hazmat suit. A one time use tyvac suit with gloves, hood and booties kind of meets the bill.

All that said I’d likely get my $100 homeowner steam cleaner out and go for it right where it sits. And wash my jumpsuit and self soon after.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Its time to get a Techstream hooked up to the car and do a proper health check on the car. Then I would go into the live data for the trans and see what's taking place. If you do have codes, post them and I will pull up the diagnostic procedure at work and make sure you get the diagnostic information one way or another.

If it were my car and I loved it, I would not hesitate to either fix it or do a proper manual trans swap. I feel as though the manual trans swap would e cheaper in the long run and will definitely be more reliable.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Op, I just removed all the SMT related parts off a great SMT running 2002 Spyder. I didn't remove it because there was a problem...but rather I removed it all because it is not compatible with the 2zz engine I'm installing so I switched to a 6 speed.

So anyway, if you'd like to buy anything SMT related...I have any and all SMT parts that work perfectly.

*Note: I'm also in Wisconsin.

PM me if you're interested.

Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes I believe TechStream is in my near future! Just like everyone else right now Im just trying to get through the Holidays and into the new year. Then I can get the car pulled out of the barn and home to my shop. Then I can assess where I stand. But I have decided to get the car back on the road...what road I take to get it back on the road is up in the air! Short term possible throw some parts at the SMT to get it moving..Long term Manual Swap......verly long term manual swap and 2ZZ swap. I will keep an eye on this message board and thanks again to all who have taken time to post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MidshipMadness: Where in WI are you located? If he is not interested in the SMT parts I might be. I recently picked a SMT Spyder up and will be finding out soon if the SMT has issues. I am considering doing a 6 spd swap potentially so might want your advice on that as well. I cannot PM yet due to being a new member.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hello Again! I have been pretty much out of the loop on this forum and Im back to to update you guys. Ill recap my situation some members may remember this. I had a 2002 SMT that after the trans failed I shoved in a barn for no better reason than it was my only option. Well it sat there for 9 years. Last year I joined the forum and was asking question weather or not to salvage the car, and after some discussions with members I decided to ABSOLUTLY save her. Well last Sunday was the day. I hooked her up to a bobcat and dragged he out of the barn after soaking the rotors for a week with PB blaster to free them up they broke free and I got her loaded on the trailer and got her home. The window is closing in South East Wisconsin as we have already had over a foot of snow starting on Halloween. Anyways nobody said Mother Nature was nice. So after unloading I did a rough inspection and believe me it looked ROUGH! I Changed the oil and installed a new battery so I could power up the car. I clicked the key and it powered up. I wanted to see the gas gauge and I did but it didn't move. So I snaked a hose down into the tank and after trying to syphon any thing that was in there my luck continued the tank was bone dry. So I dumped 5 gallons of new gas and some seafoam motor treatment in. I pulled off the air box and cleaned out the mountain of critter crust and changed the air filter. I shot about a 4 ounces of gas into the intake. It was time! As soon as I cranked I could tell my luck ran out. After further inspection EVERYTHING on the serpentine belt was rusted solid...AC ALT tensioner and idler pulleys. So I cut the belt off! With the motor free I cranked and cranked and cranked and POOOOF it started and proceeded to FOG the neighborhood for about 3 minutes. UNBELIEVABLY the car runs perfect smooth idle about 800RPM. I ran it up to temperature and all was good. I checked all electronics to see what might have been chewed up and EVERY thing works but the radio! Remarkably there was ZERO mice damage anywhere..... ZERO and even the fortune cookie I found under the seat was 100% in tact. So at this point the car is all good and Im back to the MAIN problem the SMT TRANS. So last year when I joined the forum I ended up buying GSA, HPU and Hardware off of member MIDSHIP MADNESS. SO Im at the point of trying to get the car to move under its own power. That is my update and I will be looking for suggestions of how to proceed from here. At the end of they Im going to do the manual conversion but for now id love to be able to get the car in and out of the garage with a repaired SMT. Im not sure should I just start with replacing the GSA and work my way back? If I do that do I need the TECH STREAM software to do anything at this point? Any advise to steer me in the right direction even if its STEP 1 of 100 would be great as the only SMT experience I have is driving it and braking it! Thanks in advance guys! Cheers!!!!!!!!!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts