MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone know, if I was to get hold of the door panels from a late model that has tweeters, would they fit in my 2000? (which doesn't have tweeters)
Because that would be handy :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hi, does anyone know, if I was to get hold of the door panels from a late model that has tweeters, would they fit in my 2000? (which doesn't have tweeters)
Because that would be handy :)
Wow, I didn't realize the 2000 has no tweeters. My 2001 has them. I wonder what else is different from 2000 to 2001.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Something must be wrong here! I had a 2000 Spyder and it did come with Spyder. That's very odd that yours doesn't come with them.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Mine is a 2000 as well, and has door tweeters. I'm thinking it must be a foreign market thing, being in NZ. I remember that the Japanese market had a B spec, and an S spec. North American cars were all S spec equivalent.

OP, New Zealand is a Right-Hand-Drive country, am I right? Was the car originally imported from Japan secondhand?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is a 2000 as well, and has door tweeters. I'm thinking it must be a foreign market thing, being in NZ. I remember that the Japanese market had a B spec, and an S spec. North American cars were all S spec equivalent.

OP, New Zealand is a Right-Hand-Drive country, am I right? Was the car originally imported from Japan secondhand?
Yep, right hand drive (the proper side to be on ;) ), and it is a japanese import.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wiki for this car says...

"The MR-S was originally introduced in October 1999 to the Japanese consumer market in three distinct trim models - the "B", the "Standard", and the "S". The "S" trim level included power windows, locks, mirrors, AM/FM/CD radio, cloth seats, tilt steering wheel, and alloy wheels.
In March 2000, the car was introduced into the US and Europe as a "monospec" level, which included the same features as Japan's "S" trim level."

But I have power windows, locks, mirrors, AM/FM/CD radio, cloth seats, tilt steering wheel, and alloy wheels so what gives? :(

It has a body kit and hard top as well, maybe it was some kind of custom spec where the person was into everything *except* audio... bastard! :)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Make sense now. Honestly, get a set of aftermarket component speakers and cutout the holes for the tweeters with your exisiting door panels. It will end up being cheaper and you'll get much better sound quality then trying to go with the stocker speakers and tweeters.

I had to remove the stock tweeter housing and widen the holes to fit my aftermarket tweeters when I upgraded.

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?46823-Polk-Audio-DXi-6500-Install&highlight=polk+audio

Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Make sense now. Honestly, get a set of aftermarket component speakers and cutout the holes for the tweeters with your exisiting door panels. It will end up being cheaper and you'll get much better sound quality then trying to go with the stocker speakers and tweeters.

I had to remove the stock tweeter housing and widen the holes to fit my aftermarket tweeters when I upgraded.

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?46823-Polk-Audio-DXi-6500-Install&highlight=polk+audio

Good luck!
Yeah that makes sense, its not like the new doors have an elaborate molded bit for it to sit in, so not worth the cost and effort of different door panels for a couple of holes! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts