MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I call her Joy because she is such a joy to drive and I really hate to sell her, but my daughter is off to college. I'm the 3rd owner and I have a clear title in-hand and I was told she is one of the best maintained pre-owned cars the local Toyota dealership has seen. She has a $1,500 installed Kenwood stereo system, and other upgrades. I'm located in North Idaho close to the Canadian Border. You can email me, if you are interested in test driving Joy or seeing pics by emailing me at [email protected]. Please do not ask me to click on any links or send me spam.

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sales Price

Out of interest, how did you arrive at that price?
I arrived at the price because Joy has black leather interrior and a fantastic installed stereo system. Also, when I bought the car, it only came with one key, so I had another one made to the tune of over $400. I also just had it totally detailed inside and out and a small ding was fixed, again at a price of over $400.00. Along with the $1500 installed stereo system and because it is one of only three MR2's within a 500 mile radius, I posted it on the high side knowing that I wouldn't actually sale it for that price. I have the carfax report as well, which indicates it's been well maintained and has been serviced appropriately and on time. The car has also been stored each winter, as there is no way it could be driven during North Idaho winters.

Finally, our town is having a classic car show this weekend (it's called Car d'Lane - I live in the town of Coeur d'Alene ID), so I'm hoping a true car enthusiast will see the car and buy it. I also have the clear title in hand.

I am curious to know what the going rate generally is out there for a 6 speed MST that looks almost brand new.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Coeur d'Alene is beautiful. Was there last year for a veterinary conference. I am jealous!

Once again, send me pictures (e-mail posted above) and I'd be happy to host them for you. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You're a few thousand over blue book value (top 3% for condition); 12.3k private, 14k dealership. Even if you get value of the stereo (which is rare) you're still a grand over dealership price. Add in the fact that people that are familar with the SMT get twitchy about it, feel lucky if you get private seller price.

But ya never know, David Hannum had a quote about this.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Sounds like you over pay for a lot of stuff, 400 for one key? Wow. I got one made for < 20$ and programmed myself. Stereo and electronic stuff isn't worth much on a used car but, honestly, it doesn't matter what you ask for it. The car is only worth what someone will pay. I hope you find a buyer at that price or higher but it probably won't be here. It also doesn't seem like you really care about moving the car since its such a joy and you'd hate to see it go.

Did you mean SMT?

Either way kbb in your zip is 12.7k or 12.8k (smt) for that car but again its worth what someone will pay.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I arrived at the price because Joy has black leather interrior and a fantastic installed stereo system. Also, when I bought the car, it only came with one key, so I had another one made to the tune of over $400. I also just had it totally detailed inside and out and a small ding was fixed, again at a price of over $400.00. Along with the $1500 installed stereo system and because it is one of only three MR2's within a 500 mile radius, I posted it on the high side knowing that I wouldn't actually sale it for that price. I have the carfax report as well, which indicates it's been well maintained and has been serviced appropriately and on time. The car has also been stored each winter, as there is no way it could be driven during North Idaho winters.

Finally, our town is having a classic car show this weekend (it's called Car d'Lane - I live in the town of Coeur d'Alene ID), so I'm hoping a true car enthusiast will see the car and buy it. I also have the clear title in hand.

I am curious to know what the going rate generally is out there for a 6 speed MST that looks almost brand new.
I really hope your can sell this car for asking price. All owners hope for the highest selling price for the item they wish to sell.

But realistically, the car is a tad bit over priced. SMT gearbox is a real deal breaker IMO. Also, paying 800 for a spare key and detailing are not extras but 2 keys and spotless car is usually expected.

Your car maybe exceptionally maintained and perhaps in near perfect condition, but it still doesn't beat a brand new out of the factory car with 0 miles and 0 owners (with warranty). You are up against a Brand New car at this price.

But do tell us if you end up selling at or close to asking price. Good luck

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

A knowledgable buyer wouldn't pay more than 12k for yours, but then most buyers aren't so you might pull it off.

Don't be so lazy, go pull up cars.com or autotrader, do a national search. Take 3k off most of the ask prices and you usually are in ballpark of sale price.

If your car is worth $16k then my 14 thou mile cream puff must be worth low 20's :lol:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Nice car. Love the color. Good luck with the sale (it's your car, list it for what you want . . . you can find out yourself in time if it's too high of an asking price and perhaps drop it as you see fit). Sellers can ask what they want, doesn't mean they will or will not get it. The purchase is up to the [potential] buyer.

Feel free to send more if you need them up here. Removing my e-mail so just message me if you need it again.

·
Registered
357 Posts
$400 detailing ain't too bad if that including paint correction, and usually if the detailer did the job well it should be better than showroom condition^_^ (most people's car have tons of swirl mark even brand new ones!) Anyway, GLWS!

·
Registered
65 Posts
As a Spyder owner I do truly hope you get what you are asking, as it is good for the value of all of our cars! Due to your love for the car and if in no hurry it does'nt hurt to start high, and see what happens. Just to give you a reference I recently purchased mine from a dealership 03 spectra blue, leather, hardtop, one previous owner, clean carfax with all records, 44k miles for $13,500. I knew based on my research I could have gotten one cheaper but this was the exact color, interior etc. I had been dreaming of, plus with the value for the hardtop I was willing to pay the price! Best of luck :)

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
:eek:fftopic2: Did the Paradise Blue Spyder only come as a SMT? I can't remember ever seeing someone selling a Paradise Blue that was a manual transmission. Also, seems that it is a not-so-common color option. Any info is greatly appreciated. Please feel to PM me with information so as not to clutter-up the original poster's thread.

Thanks for allowing me to drift this thread for a moment. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

·
Registered
627 Posts
:eek:fftopic2: Did the Paradise Blue Spyder only come as a SMT? I can't remember ever seeing someone selling a Paradise Blue that was a manual transmission. Also, seems that it is a not-so-common color option. Any info is greatly appreciated. Please feel to PM me with information so as not to clutter-up the original poster's thread.

Thanks for allowing me to drift this thread for a moment. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
not all paradise blue came in smt, http://gtcarlot.com/colors/car/45689059-14.html
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2962765/2003-toyota-mr2

Although most paradise blue mr2's seem to have the SMT. My favorite is the k20 swapped Paradise blue MR2 with the hard top.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.