MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw someone on here say it was for rear speakers and therefore not used, but why was it plugged into my radio? I have the wiring diagrams for a 2000 but mine is a 2003 and the diagrams don't show this wire.

Sorry if it was asked before, but I'm in the middle of this now and don't want to spend 2 hours looking for the answer and 1 hour installing the new radio!

Thanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. It is indeed a white wire with a green stripe but apparently there is one other difference between the 2003 car and the 2000. There is a solid dark green wire in the big connector and Crutchfield says that one goes to the illumination. Any ideas?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I figured it out. Thanks for leading me toward illumination. I looked in the illumination section of the schematic and there were the two missing wires. The dark green wire on the large connector goes into the illumination on the stock radio and the white with green stripe wire alone on the smaller connector goes out of the radio illumination (ground). It does connect to other illuminations circuits like the dashboard, but there are other paths to that, so leaving the white wire with the green stripe unconnected is ok. But to get illumination to the aftermarket radio (which is what I'm using here) the dark green wire on the large connector must be connected to the illumination on the aftermarket radio, which I assume will get it's ground through it's own ground wire.

Thanks for the help. It turns out the circuit between 2000 and 2003 wasn't different after all, I just forgot that they would not include the radio illumination wiring in the radio and instead put it in the illumination section.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it doesn't go to ground exactly. It's on the other side of the radio light, but it goes into another component and to ground through a transistor. I wrapped that puppy up in silicon tape.

So for anyone installing an aftermarket radio in the spyder. Dark green wire (number 10 on the big connector, goes to the illumination on your new radio and the lonely white wire with a green stripe goes nowhere!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok, I figured it out. Thanks for leading me toward illumination. I looked in the illumination section of the schematic and there were the two missing wires. The dark green wire on the large connector goes into the illumination on the stock radio and the white with green stripe wire alone on the smaller connector goes out of the radio illumination (ground). It does connect to other illuminations circuits like the dashboard, but there are other paths to that, so leaving the white wire with the green stripe unconnected is ok. But to get illumination to the aftermarket radio (which is what I'm using here) the dark green wire on the large connector must be connected to the illumination on the aftermarket radio, which I assume will get it's ground through it's own ground wire.

Thanks for the help. It turns out the circuit between 2000 and 2003 wasn't different after all, I just forgot that they would not include the radio illumination wiring in the radio and instead put it in the illumination section.
Little help, having trouble that kine wont light up. I assume you're using a wiring harness to connect the two. Which wire from the harness connects to the aftermarket? Orange?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts