MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In southern Cal., bought a 2003 Mr2 Spyder with the SMT 8 months ago, 68,000 miles and now have some sort of transmission issue.

Driving it to work, it was difficult to get any speed and when "shifting", stick or from the steering wheel, it seemed to have a difficult time "catching" and sometimes you hear a loud bang.

No light ever came on the dash, and the engine has never died.

As of now, the car will start, but when put in Reverse, 1st through 6th and you step on the gas, it does
not move and occasionally still get a loud thud behind you. (But the engine still runs great!)

I called a place that works on transmissions and they haven't worked on these much but said they would "try to figure it out". (Yikes.)

Help....is anyone familiar with this happening?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fluid level is good and not dark.
The actuator runs for 22 seconds after the door is open.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
How long does actuator run when you open the door?
That's a trick question. The pump runs when you open the door, the actuators just sit there. :)

OP, say more. Does the car rev up and not move, or just not respond to you stepping on the accelerator pedal? One points at a clutch, the other at an accelerator position sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before the car stopped moving altogether, while driving it to work, it would slowly gain speed while
shifting into gears and at the same time occasionally kick/shudder with a loud thud/bang from the back.

After shutting it off for a while, tried with it in first gear and stepped on the gas, engine revs, the car is not moving, but there was a loud thud/bang coming from the back a couple of times.

As of now when you step on the gas pedal, the engine revs fine (the engine has never died), but no matter what gear it's in, the car won't move.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
hmmmm..... if it revs OK, the accelerator position sensor is probably fine.
It sounds like a mechanical issue (clutch or clutch actuator).

If you hook up a code reader, are there any stored codes?

It would be worth removing the battery and battery tray and doing a visual inspection of the actuators and transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got the code. It comes up as P0A10 - Clutch position/control error
Any thoughts?

Also, the inside started "beeping" even though the car is not running/lights off. Is it doing that because of the above problem?

Thank you for your help!!!

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Beeping is likely it complaining of the problem.
Question - when you turn the key to the "on" position, does your CEL come on for a few seconds? (It should) How about the gear-with-an-exclamation-point dash light?
I'm really, really surprised the car is not displaying one or the other or both full-time.

From here, it's guesswork. It could possibly be a faulty clutch position sensor (but I doubt it).
It's likely either mechanically the clutch is not moving, or the clutch actuator has an issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
same problem

I have the exact same issue. But mine still can move :S with lots of noise...... let me know if you figure it out and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2003 SMT Transmission Problem - It's fixed!

It took awhile, but the problem with the gear being stuck in neutral is fixed! Actually finding a mechanic to work on the issue is what took the longest. I called the Toyota dealership and they said they would replace the entire transmission etc. $$$

We happened to talk to a mechanic, who was doing the smog check on our Camry, and said he had worked on a few SMT's last year, just not the Spyder and he would take a look if we wanted. In the meantime, thanks to the postings on this website, I found a couple of people who had similar problems to mine: engine runs great and never dies/stalls, but the car won't shift into any gear or reverse and sometimes makes a loud clunking noise when it tries. The things in common were the hydraulic fluid and GSA sensors being worn/wet etc. I asked the mechanic to check these two things.

He called back and said they hydraulic fluid was basically empty, and again called back later and said one of the GSA sensors was bad. They replaced it, did a clutch relearn, and the car has been doing just fine!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am thinking about getting a 2004 MR2 Spyder with the SMT in Souther CA. I would love to know the mechanic that got your car fixed up and running again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
2003 SMT Transmission Problem - It's fixed!

He called back and said they hydraulic fluid was basically empty, and again called back later and said one of the GSA sensors was bad. They replaced it, did a clutch relearn, and the car has been doing just fine!
Which sensor was it? What is the part number?

Thanks,
Audie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts