MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner of a low mileage 2003 Spyder (stock). I want to keep it pretty close to original. It still had the oem tires with dry rot, so my first move was to get new rubber. I thought I was studied up from online forums, so I went for BF Goodrich Sport Comp-2 195/55R15 fronts and 205/45R16 rears. After install I immediately regretted the decision. The fronts seem ok, but I am ready to trade the rears for 225/50R16's. Does anyone have any experience with the 225's? Will they fit inside the fender, or rub when hitting bumps?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am a new owner of a low mileage 2003 Spyder (stock). I want to keep it pretty close to original. It still had the oem tires with dry rot, so my first move was to get new rubber. I thought I was studied up from online forums, so I went for BF Goodrich Sport Comp-2 195/55R15 fronts and 205/45R16 rears. After install I immediately regretted the decision. The fronts seem ok, but I am ready to trade the rears for 225/50R16's. Does anyone have any experience with the 225's? Will they fit inside the fender, or rub when hitting bumps?
I have 225/45R16 on the back of my 03, and have no issues at all. HTH JD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 225/45R16 on the back of my 03, and have no issues at all. HTH JD
Thanks for that information. That is somewhat reassuring. The 50's are about an inch taller, which probably won't make a difference. Anyone out there have experience with the 225/50R16's?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for that information. That is somewhat reassuring. The 50's are about an inch taller, which probably won't make a difference. Anyone out there have experience with the 225/50R16's?
I run 225/50R-16 Yokohama S.drive on an unmodified stock height suspension and they just fit. Let me know if you have any areas of concern and I can post pictures.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Personally I'd go with the 195/50-15 on the front. This would be a much better combination with the 205/45-16 rear tire.
By the way, I have COMP2's on my Spyder. They are very good dry and wet weather tires.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Personally I'd go with the 195/50-15 on the front. This would be a much better combination with the 205/45-16 rear tire.
That's what I was thinking if you wanted to keep it as close to stock. And it will affect the speedo with an inch taller.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
You can also go with 215/40-16 rear, which is what we have done (Yoko S-Drives). Slightly wider than stock, and slightly lower

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
You can also go with 215/40-16 rear, which is what we have done (Yoko S-Drives). Slightly wider than stock, and slightly lower
Are you suggesting they put the S.drives on the rear and keep the COMP2's on the front? If they go with 195/50-15 COMP2's, they have COMP2's on all 4, and only buy 2 tires. While the S.drive is a fine tire, the COMP2 is better, not by leaps and bounds, but better. I have driven both on Spyders, and prefer the COMP2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you suggesting they put the S.drives on the rear and keep the COMP2's on the front? If they go with 195/50-15 COMP2's, they have COMP2's on all 4, and only buy 2 tires. While the S.drive is a fine tire, the COMP2 is better, not by leaps and bounds, but better. I have driven both on Spyders, and prefer the COMP2.
I'm already invested in the Comp-2's, but have the opportunity to change the rears because of a defective tire. I can consider the S Drives the next time around. It sounds like the 215's would have been closest to oem.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Nope. Just suggesting there are other tire options as there was a suggestion to change the fronts as well.

A great tire in the wrong size often isn't better that a slightly less great tire in a proper size. There just aren't many options for the 2003 wheel package if you want to stay near stock sizes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tyres_Rims.jpg

Does North America use different tyre sizes to Australia? I know it can be hard to get a set of four in these specified sizes.I have Falken Avenis on rear and Bridgestone Potenzas up front.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
View attachment 38274

Does North America use different tyre sizes to Australia? I know it can be hard to get a set of four in these specified sizes.I have Falken Avenis on rear and Bridgestone Potenzas up front.
No, those are the oem sizes for '03+ Spyders in the US also. There are a few 215/45-16's out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, those are the oem sizes for '03+ Spyders in the US also. There are a few 215/45-16's out there.
Final verdict- went with the g-force sport comp-2, 195/55R15 fronts, 225/50R16 rears. Awesome! I am thrilled... much prefer over 205's. IMG_0043.jpg IMG_0035.jpg IMG_0042.jpg

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Cool...you are the one who has to be satisfied :biggthumpup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
After a lot of searching,I'm gonna get the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs in 195/55/15 (F)(23.4" Dia) and 225/45/16 (R)(23.9" Dia). Trying to keep the diameters close to the factory specs on the OEM wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having a terrible time find tires for this thing. My girlfriend recently purchased an 03 and I've been doing a lot of work to get it road ready. It has brand new KYB factory height struts all the way around and new front lower control arms. She purchased a set of 4 Konig Tandem wheels. 16x7 or 7.5" depending on what site you go to. Wheel not in to measure yet. Everything else looks good with the wheels 4x100 etc... I know it will need hub centrics. In any case I can't seem to find a non full on track tire in 225/45R16. My question is, is it possible to run 205/45R16 up front and 225/50R16 in the rear without rubbing? If not are there any other suggestions as it appears 16" tires are a dying breed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They are +40 offset I should have mentioned that. Thanks for the feedback I am ordering now as I couldn't find anything in a 225/40 or 45 series and 16".

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Excuse me if I jump on this thread - I’m thinking of getting 15” and 16” wheels for my lowered 2002 spyder. (Tein springs only). Are the limited tire sizes a reason to stick with 15” for all four? Can anyone recommend tire sizes that won’t rub, with lowering springs?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts