MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
We have a 2002 with Tein Springs and 16" wheels all around. We are running 195/45-16 front and currently 215/40-16 rear with stock offsets. The only rub is minor on the front if the wheels are turned fairly far and large bump is hit.

However, since 16" tire sizes are very limited, stick with 15"

·
Registered
275 Posts
Cyclehead, it must be a while since you've last shopped for tires :). On my 2003 I originally ran the oem wheels 15" front / 16" rear. Then I switched to oem 16" front/rear. After 5+ years, if I had the chance to do it again, I'd go with 15x7 all around, not necessarily oem, but the lightest I could find. In general, 15" wheels and tires are lighter, and it would be nice to reduce my"unsprung weight".

You do not autocross or track, so you do not want Extreme (racing) Tires I am assuming you want Summer Tires and not All-Season Tires. I am also assuming you would like to keep close to the oem stagger. So that being said:

195-50-15 front with 205-50-15 rear, your options are Direzza DZ102 and Yokohama Fleva.
195-50-15 front with 205-45-16 rear, your options are the same as above with the addition of the BF Goodrich SportComm 2.

If you add the 205-45-15 Extreme Tires you are including the Direzza ZIII and the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71.

If you add the 16" Extreme Tires you are including the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71 and the Hankook Ventus R-S4.

Some people change the tire sizes based on what is available, and/or their level of anticipated performance. Most have strong opinions on that. Some want to stay as close to oem as possible. If you occasionally drive in light snow, then you might want to consider All-Season tires, but you will lose quite a bit of dry-weather performance.

All that being said, IMHO, stay with 15" and go with the Yokohama Fleva. I just wish we knew more about that tire.

Of course, you already knew all of this and you were just testing us !!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Cyclehead, it must be a while since you've last shopped for tires :). On my 2003 I originally ran the oem wheels 15" front / 16" rear. Then I switched to oem 16" front/rear. After 5+ years, if I had the chance to do it again, I'd go with 15x7 all around, not necessarily oem, but the lightest I could find. In general, 15" wheels and tires are lighter, and it would be nice to reduce my"unsprung weight".

You do not autocross or track, so you do not want Extreme (racing) Tires I am assuming you want Summer Tires and not All-Season Tires. I am also assuming you would like to keep close to the oem stagger. So that being said:

195-50-15 front with 205-50-15 rear, your options are Direzza DZ102 and Yokohama Fleva.
195-50-15 front with 205-45-16 rear, your options are the same as above with the addition of the BF Goodrich SportComm 2.

If you add the 205-45-15 Extreme Tires you are including the Direzza ZIII and the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71.

If you add the 16" Extreme Tires you are including the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71 and the Hankook Ventus R-S4.

Some people change the tire sizes based on what is available, and/or their level of anticipated performance. Most have strong opinions on that. Some want to stay as close to oem as possible. If you occasionally drive in light snow, then you might want to consider All-Season tires, but you will lose quite a bit of dry-weather performance.

All that being said, IMHO, stay with 15" and go with the Yokohama Fleva. I just wish we knew more about that tire.

Of course, you already knew all of this and you were just testing us !!
Thanks for the summary! I’ve never studied tire and wheel sizes - too many numbers!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
... I can't seem to find a non full on track tire in 225/45R16...
Dunlop ZIII and Toyo R1R both available in 195/55-15 and 225/45-16. The ZIII is the successor to the ZII, and that is what I have. They have fabulous adhesion, and the wear is manageable. My rear tires made 14k miles on the highway, and the fronts look like they will make about twice that.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts