MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHY?

Two days ago I broke my driver side window switch like an idiot. When it broke, it shorted the power to ground and blew the 20A fuse for the driver side.

Today I get the new switch in and move the 20A from the passenger side window switch, to the driver side switch fuse spot. Just to check and make sure everything works before I go and get a new fuse.

It doesn't work. First I think the relay is bad. But the passenger side works, so probably not that. Then I think maybe the 7.5A "gauge" fuse might have something to do with it since they include it in the wiring diagram. I check it and it's good.

I put the 20A back in the passenger side and double check to make sure it still works. Window goes up and down.

Then I figure what the hell, I'll put the "Tail" 20A fuse in the driver side window switch spot and see if it works... I notice immediately the "Auto" is glowing on the switch, and, it works.

So, WHY, does the driver side window switch need both the D/S and P/S fuse to work. But the P/S switch needs only the P/S fuse.

Hard to tell because as far as I can tell it doesn't show the relay in the wiring diagram. And the power goes to the ECU (which kind of scared me). Anyways, I thought this was odd. Maybe I'm being retarded and not seeing the obvious answer. :lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically:

D/S Window switch needs both the 20A fuses for the P/Ws.
P/S Window switch needs only the P/S 20A fuse.

Try it out lol. Remove the P/S fuse and try and make the D/S window go down. Then put it back and remove the D/S fuse and watch the P/S window go down.

Maybe I have some weird wire gremlin lol

Looking at the auto down switch diagram, it shouldn't change anything. The only thing I can see is that the auto down feature is controlled by the ECU, so maybe it uses the P/S power source for just the motor, and the D/S power source for just the switch.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I have a noticed that if the window switch gets stuck in the up or down position for more than 15 seconds,the switch will not work again until the car is turned off and on again.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Is there a difference between 00-02 and 03-05? I think I have an extra set of window switches in the garage - that I got when I bought a replacement center console. I can send one/both out to you on Monday if sh4's suggestion doesn't fix it. I have no idea what they sell for.. throw me an offer.

Rich

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a difference between 00-02 and 03-05? I think I have an extra set of window switches in the garage - that I got when I bought a replacement center console. I can send one/both out to you on Monday if sh4's suggestion doesn't fix it. I have no idea what they sell for.. throw me an offer.

Rich
I've already got a replacement. I was just talking about how it was weird that you need both fuses for the drivers side switch to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts