MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new owner here and just checked the codes causing the CEL to come on. P0031 and P0037, Bank 1 Sensor 1 and Bank 1 Sensor 2. After poking around on this forum I'm a little confused, where are these sensors located? I've read they are behind the tail lights but it looks like there are sensors located directly on each side of the exhaust manifold clearly seen when looking down at the engine. Are these different sensors or were they relocated on later models? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Bank 1&2 sensor 1 are in the exhaust manifold. They are the ones that regulate the mixture. Sensor 2 is downstream after the main cat, and it monitors the cat efficiency.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thank you for the reply. I understand which sensors need to be replaced and what their function is. It's just from the posts I've read here you have to remove the tail lights to replace these sensors but on my 2004 it looks like they're directly accessible from the top of the engine compartment. I guess I'm wondering if the posts I've read are for earlier cars and Toyota at some point relocated them to be more accessible. Maybe I'm looking at something completely different?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe this photo will clear things up. Circled in red are what I believe need to be replaced to correct the CEL P0031 and P0037 Codes. Is this correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The codes are for bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 1 sensor 2. Bank 1 sensor 1 is the one in the manifold that sees exhaust from cylinder 1. Bank 1 sensor 2 is the one behind the taillight.

These codes are for no heater current. You can test the heater with a multimeter. It should be 10-15 ohms. If the heaters are not burned out, then the problem is in the wiring and not the O2 sensors at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
rmeller
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing