MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently purchased an 05 Spyder with under 16,000 miles on it. It is completely stock!

It had the original tires so we are not sure what the maintenance has been.

Have looked on this sight and am going to:
Change oil, transmission(5 sp), radiator fluid with red Toyota premium fluid and brake fluids. I am also going to change the cabin filter.

I read that it has one chain but also a belt so the belt will be changed.

I would appreciate any other advice on items you might recommend to keep this amazing car running for a long time.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
There is no cabin air filter. Might as well change the power steering fluid too. Use Nissan E-PSF. I hope you plan to drive the car instead of storing it for another 20 years. If it is going to sit for extended periods avoid gasoline with alcohol added. The alcohol absorbs water and water ruins everything.

·
Registered
928 Posts
+1 on changing tires ASAP. Also recommend changing all fluids (engine oil, transaxle, brake, power steering, coolant). Long periods of non-use can wreak havoc on the fuel system but if there are no issues I definitely wouldn't go looking but FWIW if continuing mininal/non-use of the car ethanol free gasoline would be your friend.

Precats will be an interesting topic due to differing opinions on this model year & mileage. Personally I would be risk adverse & recommend to get rid of them for peace of mind but that's a decision you'll have to make.

There is a timing chain so no maintenance there but I would change the serpentine belt due to age. You may have other unexpected issues pop up due to non-use such as suspension components, wheel bearings, etc but there's no way to predict such things. Lastly I would use something like 303 aerospace or similar on the top to keep it "hydrated" and UV protected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1 on changing tires ASAP. Also recommend changing all fluids (engine oil, transaxle, brake, power steering, coolant). Long periods of non-use can wreak havoc on the fuel system but if there are no issues I definitely wouldn't go looking but FWIW if continuing mininal/non-use of the car ethanol free gasoline would be your friend.

Precats will be an interesting topic due to differing opinions on this model year & mileage. Personally I would be risk adverse & recommend to get rid of them for peace of mind but that's a decision you'll have to make.

There is a timing chain so no maintenance there but I would change the serpentine belt due to age. You may have other unexpected issues pop up due to non-use such as suspension components, wheel bearings, etc but there's no way to predict such things. Lastly I would use something like 303 aerospace or similar on the top to keep it "hydrated" and UV protected.
Thanks for the suggestions. Will do all but the PreCats. Went with a 2005 so hopefully will not have this issue. This is our fun car so it will probably get about 5000 miles a year on it from us!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Got new tires. Really hard to match the sizes though!
There is no cabin air filter. Might as well change the power steering fluid too. Use Nissan E-PSF. I hope you plan to drive the car instead of storing it for another 20 years. If it is going to sit for extended periods avoid gasoline with alcohol added. The alcohol absorbs water and water ruins everything.
Thanks for the info. Will change the power steering fluid as well. Plan to drive this amazing car!

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Hi Peter . . .

Congrats on your new to you spyder. If you ever plan to enter your spyder at higher-end car shows, save the original tires -- not that you would want to drive on them. My limited experience in Concourse events is that the more original (from the factory on the day it rolled off the assembly line) the car -- including tires -- the better in point value. I do show my spyder from time to time and have done quite well. I wish I had kept the original tires that came with my car for such purposes. Just something to think about for down the road, so to speak. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts