MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After quite a bit of searching, I’m having a tough time finding an aftermarket stereo that retains the factory fit. I’m not willing to buy a standard double din unit and slap on some janky plastic spacers on the sides. Looks like we need a 200mm wide unit. Common in Australia, but not in the US. Anyone have any info? The goal is Apple Car Play.

Thoughts:
Would an AU unit/radio even work in the US?

Would a newer 2019ish 86/BRZ unit fit? (Could I find one at a wrecker for a decent price?)

Has anyone solved this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just my experience but I went with a double din unit and the plastic surround that came with the kit broke on my and now it hangs loose. I am curious what you get for a solution.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Surprised you missed this in your extensive searching. There were others doing this back when I wrote this up but maybe wrong search terms?

TLDR - certain scion units both fit and don't need any wiring cutting to be done. Not sure about newer years than what's referenced.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Radio

Looks factory enough to me, and mine has been bulletproof since I installed it ~7years ago.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The plastic garnish that comes with the double DIN kit is garbage. It will break or fall off. I just keep it off.

Perhaps someone out there is making it out of aluminum?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts