MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I bought a new car. The Scion tC was just not going to work with the baby seat. After a long search we decided on a 2012 VW Jetta Sport Wagon. We opted for a Tempest Blue TDI base model. The 2012 model was stopped back in December as the factory is retooling. So selection by the day was getting slimmer. We wanted either a Blue or Red with the black interior with sunroof and nav.

We got a blue with corn silk (yellowish beige) none of them around had the nav some had the sunroof. You can not get it with out the sunroof if you have the nav. Which I think is so silly. The car has plenty of room for baby hauling, and putting my rottweiler dog-hter (daughter) and gets phenomenal fuel economy.

The 2006 Scion tC has over 178k miles on it. Has a cold air intake which was installed shortly after she got the car and a Kicker L5 sub. The car was a good car however there have been many noted problems on all of them about sounds and vibrations. It Never lived up to the EPA estimated fuel consumption, so I will use it until the spyder get done then sell it.

I joined the website fuelly to track my MPG in both the 2GR and the TDI.

That is all more to come later I'm sure....

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Congrats! Great cars--hard to find... You took the easy way out and bought a new one, instead of swapping in a diesel yourself:p

Is my 2GR swap done yet???:p

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to take pictures and update your build thread. It is getting closer this baby thing seems to take every waking moment right now. Having a spare car should give me a few more hours to work on it. ... made a major mod to the car today as well ...

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Yah, I can imagine that you are a busy man nowadays... And that new father job is infinitely more important... By the way, in your extended neighborhood, March 25th, Izod Indy Car Series Grand Prix of St Petersburg!!! I can't wait! My wife and are are going for sure--a couple friends have committed...

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The 2006 Scion tC has over 178k miles on it. Has a cold air intake which was installed shortly after she got the car and a Kicker L5 sub. The car was a good car however there have been many noted problems on all of them about sounds and vibrations. It Never lived up to the EPA estimated fuel consumption, so I will use it until the spyder get done then sell it.
We also have an '06 TC that we bought new in the Fall of '05. Yours has more miles, ours has about 130K on it. We have never had one minute of problems with ours, and the fuel consumption is spot on. I do wish that tires lasted a little longer on it.

I hope you have better luck with the Jetta than my daughter had with the one she bought a few years back. She bought it new, nice car, good fuel economy, but it was a piece of junk. She had to take it back to the dealership every couple of weeks because something was wrong with it. It had a lot of electrical problems, and a lot of minor mechanical issues. She got rid of it after about six months because something on it was always broken.

My grandaughter bought a VW bug, it was the same way, an always broken piece of junk.

I hope you have better luck than they did. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Welcome to the VAG family! Very nice choice.. I was looking at one due to the fact that I can't squeeze my road bike into my TT and hate driving a HUGE suburban just to carry me and my bike.

The car should be pretty reliable if you can stay away from modding it. My mother has been driving a VW Diesel Bug since 06' and hasn't any unusual issues (just basic maintenance per their schedule). Enjoy the ride :D

·
Banned
415 Posts
My wife and I bought a new car. The Scion tC was just not going to work with the baby seat. After a long search we decided on a 2012 VW Jetta Sport Wagon. We opted for a Tempest Blue TDI base model. The 2012 model was stopped back in December as the factory is retooling. So selection by the day was getting slimmer. We wanted either a Blue or Red with the black interior with sunroof and nav.

We got a blue with corn silk (yellowish beige) none of them around had the nav some had the sunroof. You can not get it with out the sunroof if you have the nav. Which I think is so silly. The car has plenty of room for baby hauling, and putting my rottweiler dog-hter (daughter) and gets phenomenal fuel economy.

I joined the website fuelly to track my MPG in both the 2GR and the TDI.

That is all more to come later I'm sure....
Why would you even consider a Scion, let alone a tC? Either case, good choice. VW really stepped up their game in recent months, and it really shows in the quality of their cars.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why would you even consider a Scion, let alone a tC? Either case, good choice. VW really stepped up their game in recent months, and it really shows in the quality of their cars.
The Scion tC she bought new in 2005. We needed a baby hauler and the scion just was not it. I am hoping that the VW doesnt have any issues I have seen lots of QA related problems in the past but then again I have heard they have gotten them fixed. Time will tell.

Thanks Audi! It should be a blast...

tecaholic2 ours as well eat tires....hopefully the VW QA program is better now.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Us too!

My wife and I bought a new car. ... After a long search we decided on a 2012 VW Jetta Sport Wagon. We opted for a Tempest Blue TDI base model. The 2012 model was stopped back in December as the factory is retooling. So selection by the day was getting slimmer. We wanted either a Blue or Red with the black interior with sunroof and nav.

We made the step up for the support vehicle last year (2011 model) with a Tempest Blue TDI, cornsilk interior, with the sunroof and wheel package. It's a great car, and a HUGE step up from the '05 Matrix she was driving before. As a side note, you probably read all the reviews about VW "decontenting" the Jetta - a move they hadn't made yet on the SW, which continued to get great reviews while the Jetta sedan reviews flushed down the toilet. And part of our decision making process included whether or not our two dog crates would fit in the back and still leave room for some luggage!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
cool purchase...

I plan on shoving baby's into my new BRZ ... convenience be damned!:lol:

(Hey.. at least it's possible)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts