MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Vis makes the carbon fiber top that is supposedly have better fitment than the fiberglass counterpart.

You'll still need to obtain the hard top fitting kit/seals. Best to find a used OEM hard top.

·
Registered
52 Posts
They sent a "filler" piece after I debated back and forth with me saying they're all supposed to be like that. Then I sent them a picture of an aftermarket carbon fiber top that doesn't have that hole.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what the actual eff. Did you send them the last photo since then? Does this seem to be all of them having this issue, it sort of seemed like yes at first, but then later they spoke with the manager in the warehouse, to compare the two. I don't suppose they ever got back to you on the findings?
P.S. Sorry about all them problems. Definitely sucks! :mad:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In all honesty, a compressed foam sealer, like what is used to seal the hardtop to the car would have been more useful, but preferably a correct fit the first time.

Also, anyone have their soft top perk up more and more as the fan speed is higher and higher?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could probably get a generic cut that is a square "tube" I mean that would fill it better (they sell at autozone, etc. I once did that for my viper RT10 I used to own, I had air gaps from the "factory" top I bought. They didn't send all the weatherstripping. thanks, dodge.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,004 Posts
FWIW The VIS Carbon Top I received from Octane does not have those gaps and does not leak in that area.

Proof
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
207 Posts
With the factory soft top part on the body (rubber rain guide), where the gap exists and the added sponge foam seal is on top of it. Perhaps remove it to let the aftermarket rubber piece seal down to the body? Saves the expensive factory seal from wear and deformation.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Black licorice bubble gum will fix that.
Seriously I'd consider using hi-tech acrylic chauking used in construction trades. Flexible , paintable, sticks well and can be smoothed with a wet finger before curing. Through The Roof (Sashco, inc.) sealant is clear and remains very flexible.

Reactions: Node

·
Registered
441 Posts
Forgot to mention the best part. While very sticky in a permanent way it can be scraped off with your thumbnail or a hard nylon scraper.

Reactions: Node

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If after some time, I can't find a used one, I think I will go with the carbon fiber one, seeing as price is similar (assuming professional paintjob) and it has a higher quality fit / finish. Not necessarily looking to "rice" it out.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts