MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled the trigger after trying and failing to save the 1zz. I'd like to use this thread to show that even a very timid wrencher can do this swap with the knowledge and wisdom of the group. I will post all of my issues and questions here since there is no reason to pollute the other threads with one off questions. I have a very leisurely timetable (done my next March) so plenty of time to ponder.

Thus far I have an eb60 coming from Canada with 71k. I have Marc's full kit minus the a/c bracket and the body controller. I have an Aisin stock clutch kit and a Fidanza flywheel.

Here are the first issues:
  • Scion TC MT engine with 50K for $700 (hit type unknown) or a Scion TC MT engine with 5k miles (rear end hit) for $1400. I know you can find these much cheaper at pick and pulls but I doubt there is one within 75 miles of here. Also with Covid I'd prefer to have the transaction be simple. Cost is not really a problem either way. 5K engine is 2.5 hours away so that is a bit of an issue.
  • How do you get a motor home? Will it fit in the back of a ratty Suburban without damaging the engine? Should I rent a small u-haul trailer and just have them put it on that?
  • Axles? A search for the empi part numbers yields nothing. Can I get the axles for the corresponding RAV4 models from a random supplier as long as they all come from the same supplier?
Thanks for any and all help and I hope that this helps the next duffer who attempts this.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fun fact, a 2AR engine will fit in the back of a suburban, 36" opening height as long as the pallet is not too high. Second fun fact, the engine assemblies on car-part.com often don't have any accessories, some have no intake or throttle body, most do not have alternator, etc. So there are a lot of incremental bits and pieces. As such, I am going for the cheaper 50k mile engine because I can get a picture, it has the full throttle body and intake plus intact MT wiring harness. I will need to source an alternator, starter, maf, purge valve, 2001 spyder ac compressor and lines, a zillion lousy fasteners for the alternator and starter and bell housing, and... This is clearly not the way to do this. Best bet is to find a complete take out. Unfortunately, in the time of stay at home and located in a dense metropolitan area this is not that possible.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Get remanufactured axles- I ended up having to find the driver side front axle from a RAV4 at a pick and pull. The Napa new axles I tried didn’t have the correct internal splines.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
  • How do you get a motor home? Will it fit in the back of a ratty Suburban without damaging the engine? Should I rent a small u-haul trailer and just have them put it on that?
Go to a tire shop and ask them for an old tire (from disposal) to transport an engine. They'll give you one for free. Place the engine on the old tire and use ratcheting straps to secure the engine. Make sure to remove any plastic sensors near the bottom of the engine or they'll break.

You'll need 4 people or an engine hoist to get it in and out of the SUV. Getting it in without a hoist sucks even with people.

I did the exact same thing in a Yukon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I have a hoist. I also have a hydraulic table that rises to the exact height of the gate. The engine I purchased comes mounted in a wood frame that protects the oil pan from taking the weight of the engine. The plan was to use the hoist as a safety, but slide the engine onto the hydraulic table. Roll the table over to the engine stand, lower it as needed and then mount it. I'm glad to know that it will fit. Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ordered Cardone 60-5237, 60-5239, 60-5241 from AutoPartsKart.com. $238 delivered. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well good luck with your swap. I hope you have a better time getting everything together than my forgetful self. I just hope I can get back around to it and finish soon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anybody know if there is an ARP flywheel bolt that works or do I have to get new factory bolts?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Here's the part #'s I used ..... I used a xtd flywheel though .
arp flywheel bolts part # 203-2801
arp pp bolts part # 103-2201

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you! Those are ordered. There is one more thing I can't find. The bolts that go from the transmission to the engine. I don't have them because I bought an engine and transmission separately. I've looked all over the various Toyota part sites and I can't find a diagram with these on them, or even a name for them. Any pointers to a diagram, name, etc. is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I'm pretty sure Gouky has a list of the size and lengths .... he talked about a bolt kit but don't think he got that done .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts