MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 4 weeks of driving my Spyder with its new 2AR-fe 2.5 liter I need to tell this forum how much this car now rocks!
The swap itself was easier than the first time I put a fresh 1ZZ in and did the SMT to 5 speed swap.
Goucky's video instructions we very good and his downloadable documents for axels and wiring loom mods were extremely detailed.
And I love how it drives now! The power is great and keeps the car balanced. I can not wait to take this thing autocrossing this spring.
If you want an insanely powerful car just add some forced induction and then your talking power to weight equal to the new C8 Corvette.
Get yourself a 2AR swap!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd like to see more about the 2AR swap. It really does look like the lowest cost way to get over the 200hp mark with a healthy increase of torque to boot.

I'm subscribed and following Frankenstein Motorworks YouTube channel, and apparently, he's started a new series about how to build a 2AR with a little more oomph.

@Goucky how is the AR build going?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you mind elaborating on the modifications you made to the car? Did you do an AC delete, make modifications to the car to make the OEM air compressor fit, or did you some other alternative?

·
Registered
33 Posts
What is the horsepower and torque of your car afterwards, I don't have a clue what this adds.
Stock and naturally aspirated non-stroker I would imagine it adds some healthy gains in torque, and roughly 200ish hp to the rear wheels. The motor does weigh around 75-80lbs more (I can't remember). Price per hp gain, it's probably the cheapest route for a DIYer, with the least modification to the structure of the car. Which is why I'm interested in it. To get similar numbers from a ZZ motor would require some pricy induction.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge then me comes along and answers this question.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd like to see the modifications that have to made to the rear crossmember to accommodate the stock MR-S AC compressor. Being in the south, the only cars that are livable from late May through early October are cars with AC, and I'm not sure how excited I am about mounting a Nissan AC compressor on a Toyota, from a service standpoint it seems like keeping the stock AC would be preferable.

Also, I'm really looking for a happy medium on horsepower and torque. While I admire Papadakis's 1000 hp 2AR racing builds that's nothing I'd want for the street or anything I'd want in a car as light as the MR-S platform 200-250hp and a nice wide torque band, naturally aspirated, with reasonable reliability and engine life, would suit me just fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
205 whp with the full swap.

See a dyno video here.

Marc is planning to add AC support soon. I am looking forward to it too.
Honestly price per extra HP and Torque, the 2AR-FE is your cheapest option both in labor and fabrication. The only thing I really want is a cross member modification that would allow it to retain the stock AC compressor. I also like the AR's ability to cruise at interstate speeds at a reasonable and subdued 3000 RPM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
205 whp with the full swap.

See a dyno video here.

Marc is planning to add AC support soon. I am looking forward to it too.
What modifications did Marc do to that AR motor? Honestly, those performance numbers would be perfect for me, however, if I could squeeze out just another 20-40 hp and perhaps increase the torque just a bit, it'd be absolutely perfect. I was looking using a supercharged 2zz, but the price is steep, and more then I need. I love that nice wide torque band the AR provides, in a relatively low revving engine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Zero mods to the motor- better breathing intake and exhaust, and raised the redline with the tune. If you look at his YouTube channel he has started exploring a built 2arfe to get to 270 or so. I have a 2arfe swap and it is fast enough I don’t know why you would need more hp.
What modifications did Marc do to that AR motor? Honestly, those performance numbers would be perfect for me, however, if I could squeeze out just another 20-40 hp and perhaps increase the torque just a bit, it'd be absolutely perfect. I was looking using a supercharged 2zz, but the price is steep, and more then I need. I love that nice wide torque band the AR provides, in a relatively low revving engine.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It's torque that is really lacking with the zz's. For a track car, sure, but for street legal driving on twisty roads it needs torque. That flat torque output is impressive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Zero mods to the motor- better breathing intake and exhaust, and raised the redline with the tune. If you look at his YouTube channel he has started exploring a built 2arfe to get to 270 or so. I have a 2arfe swap and it is fast enough I don’t know why you would need more hp.
Is your set up for track use, or do you daily drive it? I know Marc's MR-S is a track car, and apparently, he runs an exhaust that would be a bit much for regular street use.

Is yours a track car, or do you use it as a daily? Where did you locate your battery?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is your set up for track use, or do you daily drive it? I know Marc's MR-S is a track car, and apparently, he runs an exhaust that would be a bit much for regular street use.

Is yours a track car, or do you use it as a daily? Where did you locate your battery?
I’m using the stock muffler for a daily driver. I am going to add some bracing and enhance the suspension this spring because it’s ridiculous.
Build thread is here with pictures of the battery relocation- very easy using stock parts.
My build thread

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’m using the stock muffler for a daily driver. I am going to add some bracing and enhance the suspension this spring because it’s ridiculous.
Build thread is here with pictures of the battery relocation- very easy using stock parts.
My build thread
Thanks for directing me to your build thread. So right now, you have no AC in the car?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Don’t know why you would need more HP?...

You shut your mouth sir!

:mad:

:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don’t know why you would need more HP?...

You shut your mouth sir!

:mad:

:)
lol

I agree. One thing I like about the none 2ZZ swap options is the torque. That's what makes HP fun. But I'm an old guy, I'd prefer not having to get to high revs to get to the "fun zone". I actually prefer a higher flatter torque curve over a steep one that starts out low.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts