MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ... in an effort to speed this swap along , Gouky and I have decided to join forces so to speak . He has limited time and "stuff" to finish and design so I'm going to help by doing most of the heavy lifting . I happen to have an extra spyder so I'll be doing the street version and he'll be doing the race version . I think this is going to be a blast and should provide a bunch of info for anyone thinking about this swap .

We plan to do dyno's at different stages and a trip to the drag strip . I have not done either so this should be fun and interesting . For the drag strip maybe we can make an event out of it and get some other spyders there .

I'm going to start by trying to use some of the stock components ( exhaust , air box ) . I have a bare chassis that I will use for this to see how much cutting is required to make it fit . Depending on how much will determine if I actually use it on the swap . This should give the Cali boys some good info to see if they can make it legal or not . Plus if I do use it this should give us a good baseline .

I'm sticking with a stock spyder so no widebody planned till much latter . Started out with weight , it has no frunk plastic's or spare tire . It has a Bazooka tube in the cubby's . It has an ebay header , stock cat and team moon exhaust and 7/8's of a tank of gas . So total was 2200 even , rear 1280 , that leaves 920 front .

I was hoping to see the digital read out better but oh well ....

rear read out

Some 2ar pics .... right side

front

left side

back

The drop out that I bought unfortunately had an automatic trans , it would nave been perfect if it was a 6spd manual .It could have saved me a bunch on this swap but I'm in a hurry .

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The cost documentation ....

1800 engine dropout with auto trans
935 6spd. manual with Slave assembly and throw out bearing
525 trans / engine mounts
58 DBW pedal mount
87 ac delete
387 shifter kit
175 flywheel / clutch / pp
51 arp flywheel bolts part # 203-2801
16 arp pp bolts part # 103-2201
70 used wiring harness
18 rav4 06-08 2.4 t-housing
260 used oem axles (200) / bought new boots (60.00)
70 2 belts that didn't fit 40 , the correct belt 15 , a little longer belt to check fitment / extra 15
35 used 07 -11 camry air cleaner
20 eom bolts for trans to block will add part #'s later
15 new right side trans seal part# 90311-40036

4522 .00 total so far if I added right

·
Registered
903 Posts
This is great, I think the CA legal exhaust is going to be a very interesting experiment. it certainly won't be bolt-in but i think it won't be entirely ridiculous to implement. Also as mentioned above this will be dyno'd side by side with a full 4-2-1 header and more race like open exhaust. I expect there will be a power difference but i don't expect it will be very significant.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Time to start mating the trans with the engine so I started with the reverse detent cam install in the 6spd manual . It seems pretty intimidating but it's not that bad once you get started . The directions are pretty good .. I just add some things that helped me . You don't have to force anything it seems you just have to get the right wiggle jiggle correct . Also a roll of paper towels and a small block of wood for the punch work

here's a link to Gouky's how to ....
Clickable link to document:

Went to harbor Frt. and picked up some tools , the short punch set is all you need ,really just the 1/4" one . The extending magnet was too big so I didn't use it .

I did buy some small rare earth magnets , they work perfect on the end of small allen wrench to retrieve the detent balls

When I split the cases the end bearing shim was on the bearing , I needed to put it back in the top case pocket .

Cleaned the magnet ...

to put the cases back together you need to line up the reverse bolt with the bolt hole in the case .

all back together

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only downside to buying a dropout is that you have to remove all the Scion stuff .

With that done it's new parts time .... I'm going to cut a corner and use a XTD flywheel (11lbs10oz.) PP and clutch . Plus I'm going to use the oem throw bearing and slave cyl. that came with the trans for a total of $175 bucks . It may come back to bite me but I'll roll the dice. Gouky on the other hand is going with ACT stuff his flywheel was about a 1lb and a few oz. lighter but his cost will come in around $700 .

Before the mate up don't forget the lube ... I use krytox .

All mated up and starter attached ....

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The A/C delete bracket in stall .... it's pretty straight forward . Remove 2 nuts and 2 long bolts .

My hoses were cut so I didn't have to remove those and don't forget the electrical connects .

Then remove the compressor bracket .

Then just bolt Gouky's bracket on ... hardware included and then bolt the pulley on to the bracket . There were 2 size belts mentioned , I bought the smaller one but the heavy duty (HD) version and it wouldn't fit so I have the larger one on order and will post if it fits .

:EDIT:
The 2 belts that "were" mention didn't fit , there was an error when converted from Bando to Gates .

And it was also discovered that that the 2011 Camry 2ar (Gouky's) has a 4 rib crank pulley while my 2012 Scion Tc has a 6 rib . So make sure you check which one you have before you order . With that being said :

4 rib belt is Bando 4pk1110 , or Gates K040438

the 6 rib belt is gates k060435 , bando 6pk1105 ..... this size best 44.125" or gates k060439 , bando 6pk1115 ..... still ok 44.50"

the 6 rib belt takes a different pulley those are : Dayco ... steel pulley #89540, or plastic #89184
also with the 6 rib pulley it needs a .140 spacer on the backside to align everything .

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trans Mounts install .... rear and left side . Just bolt on with the hardware provided .

The front mount needs a little help . There's a protrusion on the block that needs to be ground down or the mount won't sit flat . It's about an 1/8th of an inch. Real easy to remove with a flap wheel .

Here it is ground down ...

Then just bolt on with the hardware provide . Round hole goes on the top with the slot on the bottom . Of course the pretty aluminum piece bolts to the firewall . That's all the trans mount ... the right side engine mount will be installed after I lift the engine in place .

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
thanks for the updates... i'm glad you are pioneering this for us and documenting the process... i am very interested in this swap since i never did my 2ZZ swap... may be a better DD alternative for me...

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the updates... i'm glad you are pioneering this for us and documenting the process... i am very interested in this swap since i never did my 2ZZ swap... may be a better DD alternative for me...
Sure ... it's part of the fun !

I think it's a pretty interesting swap so far . I think it's going to be a great DD with a little extra power down low where you want it . The biggest downside I see so far is the cost ... it's adding up pretty quick . :chuncky: I will be documenting that also .

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Thanks ... I'm trying very hard to stay focused on one spyder . I'm hoping to have this wrapped up by mid January.
Then on to the 2gr .... a " big " maybe for the Dragon Run .

Are you going to go drag racin with us ?
Who’s going drag racing?

1 - 20 of 201 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.